So, when did it become sop for the audience to hoot and holler all through a set?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DaveNJ, Mar 8, 2015.

1. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

Trying not to come off like an old fart here (I'm 47), but during the last bunch of concerts I've been to (Elvis Costello, Ryan Adams, Richard Thompson, Tom Petty) and a few I've seen on TV (ACL w/ NIN just tonight) the audience has to fill every damn gap - including during songs - with various "Woo"'s, "Yeah"'s, or whatever else just so they're heard.

I'm all for enjoying a performance, and unbridled enthusiasm is great when a song is finished, but give me a f'n break and shut your damn mouth when the song is being played!

2. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
  3. Ivo

Ivo Member

lol

4. gigs

gigs Member

You might more enjoy the Boston Philharmonic or some similar stuffy shirt production where the only thing you hear during a song is the occasional phlegm choke-gasp throat clear-out and enjoy a waft of whatever perfume those 70 year old women wear that only they seem to know where to buy it.

5. dcbc

dcbc Member

It started with Seven Bridges Road.

6. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

I've been to see the Boston Philharmonic a few times - love it!

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Can't tell if serious...

8. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

I'm serious - I have no problem with people enjoying themselves, but it seems that more and more, some members of the audience wants the show to be about them. It never seemed to be as bad as it is now...

9. MahavishnuGretsch

MahavishnuGretsch Member

wow that jeff buckley clip really captures what the op is saying... and yes there is a time for hollering and screaming and whatever but there is also a time for sublime music... people go to concerts and then spend it screaming instead of listening... so i understand perfectly what you are saying OP.... but at least for me i really dont hate it when i'm playing because at least i know the people are digging it!

10. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I think it's as old as rock and roll. No one ever heard a note the Beatles played or sang live over the screaming, and I'm sure it was much the same for Elvis till he got older and hit Vegas.

Personally I find it kinda annoying too, I like hearing the band when I go to a show. Screaming through the tunes makes sense at a pop confection thing but much less sense when seeing a band known for being players. But hey, who am I to tell folks how to have a good time? Live and learn. When it ain't fun anymore, you pass on the show and buy the DVD.

Fortunately the music I tend to see live generally doesn't lend itself to that sort of hysteria.

11. madspirit

madspirit Member

Agree with the OP 100%. My music is very dynamic and emotional...and I have my fans. However, there's always the people (some are actual fans) that just can not shut up for anything. At my last show, two guys were incredibly loud standing right at the stage lip...LOUDLY praising and discussing the drummer...but, just oblivious that there were absolutely ruining the whole experience. But well beyond my music, I constantly see people going to great effort (and great costs) to attend a show only to be self-absorbed idiots. The worst was when I saw Leonard Cohen. Grown men were weeping. It was intense...and this drunk lady was whoopin' it up like she was at a Foghat concert. She was told, in the nicest possible way, to shut the F up or get the F out.

12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

This.

13. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

Drunken attention whores who want to be the show and who are living in their own movie. (In which THEY are the star) self centered idiodic morons.

Insread of seeing the show as PART of a great community of people who all love the music they have paid to see. They desperately need to be singled out and heard.

Its annoying.... very annoying.

14. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Ok, but the question is *when* did that become sop. I'm curious, as well.

15. R2112

R2112 Member

Really?

....and yes, the concert is going on during all of this.

16. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

August 2nd 2004

17. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Thank you, I had a feeling in it was late summer/fall of '04.

18. DRS

DRS Member

What does "sop" mean?

19. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

"standard operating procedure"

20. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

As someone else stated earlier, it's expected, encouraged and celebrated at pop shows, but I'm not really going to any pop shows. And, to the beatles reference above, that was a pop show...