So, When is the Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue coming out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FJTurner, May 5, 2008.

1. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

While reading a review of the new Vox Virage in the new (June) Guitar Player magazine, they mentioned one of the amps they used in the review was a new Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue. It seems to me if Fender has sent one of these amps to Guitar Player (for review?), wouldn't that mean that it's coming out soon? Debut at Summer Namm? Anybody here know more?

2. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Word is it's definite, possibly out as soon as this month. "Very soon" is the term being bandied about. With that review pending, I'd say it'll be announced within 3 weeks, and ship within 60 days. The source for this is Tony Houston, a guy very close to the Fender insiders. Has credibility. Also I talked to Chuck Levin at The Washington Music Center, he confirmed it, and thought it was gonna be PTP. I think the street is being discussed at around $700. Which would put it in the neighborhood of the PTP Ampeg J-20. Which implies it must be Southeast Asia-assembled. If it's a true knockoff, it'll be a 10" at 12 watts. I'd go with the Ampeg since it's gigable. Who needs another bedroom amp?

3. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

Appreciate the info, Maruuk. Checked out the Ampeg J-20 and AMS has it in stock. Very interesting...

4. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Gotta love amps like the J-20 and the Crate V32(H)s which provide a lot of boutique tone for half the price. In the case of the V32, less than 1/3rd the price. Love to hear the results of blindfold tests with these two amps up against the high-priced spreads. Be a lotta red faces at THAT comparo!

5. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

plus that ampeg is freaking killer sounding.....

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Well, unless there's a Chuck Jr, you've had a very privileged conversation as Chuck's been dead for a few years now......:(

7. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Yeah, John Edward helped out a lot. And apparently they get really into harp tone in heaven.

Ok, it was an older man at the store who sounded like what Chuck Levin LOOKED LIKE, and at music stores since the average age is like 25, I ASSUMED it was Chuck himself. Very authoritative and informed. Maybe it was Chuck Levin Jr, howz that?

8. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

PTP fender for $700? Did I read that right? I'll believe it when I see it.

9. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I heard that guy Jeremy from Pearl Jam has been using one too.

10. mbratch

mbratch Member

That would be unlikely even if they build it overseas. For $700 it's likely a PCB design.

11. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Well Ampeg/Loud can do it, why not Fender?

12. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

Why not sell the 5E3 reissue for $500 then? There's way less parts in it than are going to be in the Princeton reissue.

The princeton is gonna be $799 and I would be very surprised if it's handwired anything, even the volume and tone controls.

13. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Well, I think you're going to start seeing exactly that as production moves to places like Vietnam.

14. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Then Fender will be ceding a ton of sales to Loud over the J-20. Why would I buy a $799 PCB 12-watt 10" mystery spkr ungigable Princeton when for the same price I can buy a 20-watt 12" Alnico bias-vary tremolo eminently gigable PTP J-20 which has already been adjudicated a tone monster by popular acclaim? And which looks yummy enuf to eat?

That's not a fair contest.