So where is the fulltone '69 clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, Aug 6, 2008.

1. exodus

exodus Member

So where is the fulltone '69 clone with perhaps upgraded transistors? I have all 3 of his fuzzes... and got them back when they were cheap, and I like them. But to get another on eBay is just sick. The '69 fuzz prices have crept up to $300-$360. Who will bring this circuit back?

For those of you that will say that the '69 sucks and I should try {fill in the blank}... that's not the point. I want the '69 pedal to come back and want to know who will do it? Mike???

2. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

Its not the circuit. Its the transistors! The NKT-275's with a HFE range between 80-140 are almost impossible to find on a regular (manufacturing) basis and fakes are common.

You can get a board from General Guitar Gadgets and build one yourself. This one is mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z83DCkVwg

It does not sound as good as a '69 because of the transistors! It is the identical circuit.

Check out this site for some good ol' Fuzz Face history, mods, and additions.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm

I agree with you....the '69 should come back. I don't think it ever will. Hold on to that nice gem of a pedal!

3. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Never liked mine.There's any number of boutique makers doing NKT Fuzz Faces that sound better.Analogman.Hartman(excellent),God it seems like everybody makes a good fuzz face clone these days.London Fuzz,Lovepedal White dragon.On and on...blah blah woof woof.

4. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I can't believe what I am reading!!! I sold mine for peanuts! :eek: I had a love/hate relationship with it making it sound good, and it had to go - it was either it or my sanity. That's also happening with my Soulbender, too, but I am never letting it go. The 69, as all good Fuzz Faces, was extremely temperamental, and the only way to make it sound good, in my opinion, was through a Marshall (w/ EL34s) with a Strat with vintage output pickups.

Apart from all this, I completely agree that it was the transistors that made it special - I believe that the same transistors are in the heart of the Soulbender, too. So... no clone - you might want to start looking at the hundreds of other Fuzz Face variations.

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

It's just a Fuzz Face...it's not like Mike did much of anything really special. Truth is I think there are better germanium Fuzz Face clones already out there and with all the options there is no reason not to have a good Ge FF is you want one.

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I don't agree. Respectfully. To me it is the ultimate FF circuit.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've got one I like, but don't use very much and it would seem to be the perfect time to sell...except...

I'm in Norway. The price I could get (even those inflated prices) I would lose right away in the exchange rate to kroner since the dollar is so low.
    And screwed on the other side, as I certainly can't sell it to another norwegian or european at comparable price, as they will then still buy at the US (adjusted for exchange rate it becomes less expensive here) prices...

But like I said...I like the thing, and if I hold on to it til US dollar goes up again it ought to be worth even more. Maybe I'll will it to my stepchildren.

8. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

I got a kit from GGG and used a stash of Mullard OC42's and it sounds fabulous! I didn't like the MKII or the FF all that much but the '69" clone sounds good enough that I'll put it in an enclosure and put it on my board.

9. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

I built a 69 clone from GGG with germanium transistors from small bear. Sounds good through my cranked 5e3 to smooth it out, but would probably be better with good NKT's if I could find some. I actually prefer the PNP Silicon transistors in it, or a hybrid of the two, so I'm going to add toggle switches to switch between transistors.

10. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I'd hang on to it for now if I were you ;)

11. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

I've got an old Hammond box '69 and one of the first red ones, and a Soulbender. Both bought '69's new in the 90's and neither is leaving my grubby little hands. I've got a Hartman Ge on the way right now and will probably purchase an AM Sunface sometime soon. All the rest of my fuzzes are Si.

12. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

My point is that it's just a FF circuit, nothing special. My favorite FF is an AnalogMan but it's not like Mike (from AnalogMan) did aything really special there either, just did it right...

13. exodus

exodus Member

What I like about the '69 pedal is that its the whole package. It sounds great with my setup and comes with the ability to adjust the contour and bias... which I actually find very useful. I also like the layout--its very pedalboard and user friendly.

14. 4styx

4styx Member

The Hartman has a Fuller mod(same as the pre bias on the 69)and real NOS NKTs.

15. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

I like the Si ones so much more. The '70 is probably the first fuzz pedal I heard where I was just "YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!" Not to slag the '69.

But the prices really have become silly.

16. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

Nobody has real NKT's, you think that stuff those guys are pedalling are real NKT's? You obviously don't own any Arbiter fuzzes to visually compare...restamped, all of 'em.

17. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

Yeah, it is just a fuzz face. Any can be given the 69 mod, just adding the contour and bias pots, which I find very useful. I like having an external transistor bias knob too (same as the sundial on the analogman pedals). Turning it down gets some cool gated sounds like a fuzz factory, and it makes it easier to adjust voltage when switching transistors.