1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

So who here owns a Savage Blitz 50??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, Jun 25, 2005.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Sound off! I want to know what you think about your rig! Throw me some settings and tube compliments! M.E.

2. michael.e

So I have emailed the guys at Savage a few days ago, and I have no reply :mad:

Does anybody have any suggestions regarding a tube compliment for this amp? M.E.

3. michael.e

Yikes!

Oh well......:(

So far I love the cleans in the amp. Well beyond what I was expecting, and I have yet to really hit the throttle.

The overdrive in the amp seems to be a bit wierd.....
    It sounds as though I am using a gained out fuzz pedal. The note loses any clarity. The preamp distortion is not smooth like I was expecting. I have the tubes set in the preamp section as per layout, I even have a 5814 [?] in the PI or what I think is the PI position. Like I said, I have yet to really open the amp up and I am a bit afraid of what I am going to hear when I slam the input with a Treble Boost, COT50 or any of my other pedals. I have emailed the guys at Savage quite a few days back and I have not heard any word.
    Overall, I like the amp, but it overdrives in this grainy, unmusical way. So much so that I wonder if anything is wrong with it or my preamp tubes. I have done some swapping with some NOS and I still have the same problem. I wonder if it is the KT66's?
    Ah well,
    M.E.

4. Mike Hansen

Mike Hansen Member

They took about a week to get back to me via email. You may want to reach them by phone.

5. tombo

tombo Supporting Member

Yes, call them. Jeff and Casey at Savage are pretty busy, and Jeff is self-admitedly not a good typist. Call them and you'll be provided with some of the best customer service around.

Remember, Savage amps are not for the inexperienced. They are a real "adult amp." By that, I mean what you put in, they put out. No extra color like some manufacturers provide. If you're a great player, the amp will treat you right. If you're a hack (like me), it'll let you know that too.

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I absolutely loved the Blitz 50 I played. The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't go from perfect cleans to perfect overdrive, dialing in one sacrificed tone on the other.

Check out the Savage Audio presets for that amp. I know in the store I played it at, they had a "jumped Marshall" preset that floored me... it might even be _the_ best overdrive I've ever heard from an amp. The presets for stuff like the Blackface Fender sounded really good, but then there was no way to switch over to the other, so ultimately I never purchased one.

If you're getting fuzz like tones, they're is definitely something seriously wrong here. They offer some of the most musical, dynamic, rich tones I've ever heard.

7. michael.e

Here is what is making the grade. With a Historic '57 LP Jr. on the way!!
    [​IMG]

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

hmmmmm.......that TH & Zematis copy never seem to leave the stable.......;)

Good luck with the Savage, M.E.

9. michael.e

You are so right Riff! Those two will never leave the stable!

Do you recall the time that I was singing the praises of my then new T-Verb and you commented..............

"riffmeister
    Contributing Member

Don't worry M.E.

You will come to your senses. "

Well Riff, you were right!!
    M.E.

10. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Michael, you should open the master up on that amp to at least noon if you want to get an idea of what you have to look forward to. Also, check to see if you have it switched to class A or class A/B...two totally different sounds in that amp :)

It looks lovely with your setup. Noon isn't ear-splitting loud. If those GT's aren't compressing for you the way you'd like, try the Valve Art KT-66's.

11. michael.e

Hey!
    I tend to jumper the inputs thus far by plugging into the low input on the Treble side and going into the low input for the bassy side. I get alot of chime and grind that way. I am not familiar with other Marshally styled amps regarding what I should be hearing when I am tapping into the pre-volume. It tends to sound gritty to me when using the pre's moreso than the master. At volume, the amp sounds stellar and the cleans are to die for!!! I find that running it in a/b is more to my liking and I am going to put a gz-34 in the amp to see what happens. I am digging the amp big time thus far!!!!
    M.E.

12. riffmeister

Hey.......I don't think I woulda said that! When people get stuff that floats their boat, I'm of the opinion....."More Power To Ya".

That said, glad you finally came to your senses. ;)

13. mockoman

mockoman Member

That's some real nice gear,man!

Have you checked the bias on the Savage? Too hot or too cold can give a nonmusical distortion.

14. michael.e

Thanks!
    I am finding that the non-musical distortion is in the preamp section. If I turn the master down and crank the pre's up to about 1/2, it sounds pretty grainy. It sounds as though I am slamming the input with a dimed out Super Hard On or something. As I turn up the master on the amp and back off on the guitar volume control it sounds nice and crunchy.
    Is that the difference? This is a crunchy, dynamic type amp, as opposed to a smoother preamp section in something "newer" sounding. This amp is definately old school, and I dig it! I am expecitng a %13 Joyride and a Retroman Sibyl early next week and am looking forward to putting them through the paces with this rig! M.E.

15. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

experiment with preamp tubes :). I didn't have that grain you're experienceing with my Orange cab. Also, could be something about the way you jumper the channels. I want from bottom left to upper right, and plugged intto bottom right :)

16. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

How is your Savage? Did you ever figure out what was up?

17. michael.e

Interesting you should ask.........

I had not been able to dial out the non-musical distortion no matter what level the master is set at. I crank the amp master to full and start to kick up the pre's. The cleans sound BEAUTIFUL and I am really happy with that aspect of that amp. As soon as the amp hits distortion, it sounds like crap!!

A couple of days ago, I loaded the amp with some Telefunken 12ax7's and the cleans sound spectacular!! The dirty tones still sound like crap to me, and I do not say that lightly, I am really dissastisfied with the overdriven tones of this amp and the preamp levels reach the JCM800 levels, but it sounds terrible. Like a way overdriven input.
    I wonder if something is not wrong with the amp.
    It is a good thing that I use this amp strictly for cleans. M.E.

18. riffmeister

Really? You don't like the OD sound of the amp??

19. michael.e

Hey Pete,
    Yeah, The overdriven tones are not at all musical. The amp does have this Hiwatt vibe going on when driven loud and clean and I really dig that. As soon as any dirt mixes in with the tone, yecch........

The amp is running KT-66's at present, but again, this is the preamp section that is letting this non musical characteristic through.

The sound is akin to the sound that one gets when a battery is dying in a dirt pedal and you hit your strings hard and you get that messy sounding tone. Or better yet, when you turn your amp off and you hit your strings and you bleed the caps off by hitting your strings, all the while the sound is fading and you get that brackish distortion.

I cannot help but think that something is adrift in that amp.

I have played plenty of Marshally amps at cranked volumes and at lower volumes with a master and none of them have ever sounded like this. M.E.

20. ROKY

ROKY Member

Any thoughts on just sending the amp to the Savage guys
    for a check-up ?