So who knows about the tweed Tremolux?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jayson Chance, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

I work in a studio regularly that has a '55 narrow panel Tremolux in the Gtr booth. Did a session there yesterday and used it on a couple of tracks.

It sounded great, but "sick" at the same time. The studio owner/engineer said he's had it for over 10 years and never had anything done to it. I told him he needed to get it serviced and he'd be surprised at how much better it sounds.

So, are these amps just basically a tweed Deluxe with tremolo? or is there anything else significantly different about them?

I'm not really into technical jargon, but was mainly speaking in terms of tone.
    "Tweed Deluxe" was pretty much the impression I got from it while recording with it, but am not completely sure since the amp isn't totally healthy.

Plus, it has some type of nameless speaker in it that looks like a replacement from *probably* some time in the 70's. Looked to be alnico and a dull silver/grey frame... Had a big magnet though. Wasn't a JBL.
    No telling what it was without the date codes. Kind of looked like some of the old Fane speakers I've seen before.

So I told my friend it needed a maintenance treatment (caps, resistors, tubes), and he'd probably do well to put a 12A150 or something like that in there.

Curious to see if there are any Tremolux owners in here and what you can tell me about yours.

JC

2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

If you want to talk to someone who really knows what they're talking about regarding tweed Tremoluxes (and other Fender tweeds) call Lou Rosano of Louis Electric Amps (201-384-6166). There are other very knowledgeable people out there but none likely more so than Lou on this subject.

Tom

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Very cool amps!

Very much like a Tweed Deluxe in terms of tone but still different to my ears. The Tremoloux had a few changes made to them over the period of 5 short years. The biggest was the change to a fixed bias in around 1957 I belive. Great amps either way!

4. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Like most Tweeds, the best year for the Tremolux was '59.

Somethhing about switching to a fixed bias and a long-tailed phase inverter.

I was in the market for one or a good clone about a year ago. Then I got my Double Deluxe...

I still miss the amp trem a little...

*sigh*

-Jon

5. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Cool, fellas... Thanks. That's what I kind of figured. Like a Deluxe with some minor differences, but in the same tonal ballpark.

6. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

You gotta take into account the big box cab.

It feels louder than a Deluxe.

Vicky makes an amp called Trem de la Trem that is based off the Pre-57 Tremolux I think. I'd much prefer the Post-57 circuit. Tighter feel, more headroom.

He builds it with a 15 although the original spec 12 is availiable.

Tremolux and an R7

Good stuff.

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Mark Baier at Victoria will talk your ears off about tweed amps. His are some of the absolute finest made.

8. tweedtwin

tweedtwin Member

I have to disagree with the claim that the 1959 Tremolux is " the best " . I have owned a 1958 Tremolux and am selling it in favour for a 1956 Tremolux. It is a matter of personal taste. For an early raunchy blues tone the early 5E9 circuit kills the later 5G9 circuit. Granted, the 1959 is more versatile, more headroom and whatnot but to me it was really lame until it was on 10 and that was with humbuckers and the amp was biased hot.

The 1956 tremolux has juicier trem and is warmer and is really unique sounding due to the paraphase inverter. For Neil Young and ZZ Top type tones, the earlier circuit is much more fun and sings more than the 5G9 circuit. Not trying to start an argument, I much prefer the earlier circuit
    for the styles I play. That being said the 5G9 is a fantastic amp, I just find it too predictable for a tweed.

Tweedtwin

9. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I'm another one who likes the earlier version better.

10. myles111

myles111 Member

Jayson ...

Just a quick hello as I am not in this forum all that often but ....

Next time you are coming out my way bring the amp with you and I will go over it. While you and I are doing that we can stick your wife back in the tree like last time :)