So who makes great sounding Noiseless P90 Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rod, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Wondering..........
    :stir

2. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

The best-sounding attempt at noiseless P90 tone I've heard is the DiMarzio Bluesbucker. It's sort of an "Area-ized" SDS-1 laid out side by side.

I have never played a P90-form factor noiseless pickup that was really in the ballpark.

3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

4. americananalog

americananalog Member

I'm curious to hear the Gibson Billy Joe Armstrong P90. It's a stacked design but with the bottom coil disconnected. Similar to the way Eric Johnson runs his Dimarzio HS-2 with the bottom disconnected. It's kinda hum cancelling but sorta not.

5. korus

korus Member

The bottom coil can have magnets or not.

But, if it OUT of the circuit - not connected - it does not affect anything.

6. Doc3

Doc3 Member

7. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I do not see any noiseless P90s. Does he wind them, and just not have them on the site?

8. Doc3

Doc3 Member

He can wind about anything. He worked with me to build an awesome set of Humbuckers. I am dropping off a 1999 Tele Deluxe so he can wind a set for it.

Shoot him an email.

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Unless he has the necessary equipment and molds, no he can't.

10. PW214

PW214 Member

11. paperair

paperair Supporting Member

I think the Fralin Hum-Cancelling P90s are a pretty solid choice:

12. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Fralin: his noiseless P90's fit any std. P90 rout, they drop right in, and can use std. G*bson covers if you want to change the color. They sound very, very P90'ish - clean to scream; in a band mix, no one will know, except between songs when your not humming the drinks off the tables. I also have heard the Kinnman's, they are very good too, but more $$$ (do a search here for noiseless P90 post's, it's been discussed a lot). OR, you can talk to the Iilitch people about a Silent Single coil system for your particular guitar - no tone compromise single coil hum reduction (http://www.ilitchelectronics.com) - I have that factory installed system on a Suhr chambered T-Classic w/2XP90's - no noise, tremendous P90 tone. There are good options out there, your browser is your friend.

13. Doc3

Doc3 Member

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

No one is disputing that. You either have the equipment to make them or you don't. They cannot be made with traditional equipment.

15. robmarch

robmarch Member

sounds like a clipped p100, which ends up being an overwound p90. not sure how the parasitic coil would kill noise, although the extra stuff may color the tone.

I hate buzz in a live setting, so I put p100s in my p90 style guitar. haven't been able to a/b them with some noisy p90's, but I will one day :)

16. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Agreed. A friend has them in his SG and they sound phenomenal.

17. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

If you want it to really sound and respond like a P90, Kinman. Period. That is the only choice.

If you want it to fit in a P90 hole and sound like not a P90, DiMarzio. They make a whole range that covers everything from PAF tones to high output buckers and a few things in between.

18. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

Fralin hum-canceling P-90s. I'm no P-90 expert, so I can't tell you how close they get to any particular benchmark. IMO and for my use, they are excellent. I have an under-wound set in a sort of jazzcaster and they're probably the most 'expressive' pickups I've played.

Edit: I initially was going to get Kinmans. They are taller than standard P-90s, so routing may be required. I couldn't get straight answers out of Kinman to a couple of simple questions on routing depth, so I gave up after a dozen emails back and forth. When I said I was bailing, the customer service guy finally decided to be helpful. Next, I called up Fralin and discussed my needs with Lindy himself. Done. Happy.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  19. SpiritShooter

SpiritShooter Supporting Member

My experience with Kinman was less than stellar. The CS guy was rude and extremely hostile. I passed and went with Barden noiseless Soapbar.

20. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

My main P90 has nickel covers and shielded everything. I know metal covers can bleed highs but a solid nickel-silver cover doesn't have much effect. Metal covers do, however, cut noise drastically.

It's not silent but it's a 90% improvement and I can live with what noise is left and it's still a single coil with all the responsiveness intact.

Not a perfect solution but probably as good as most others. I feel I didn't compromise anything. I used 550k pots and it sounds as normal as ever but a lot quieter.