So, who really needs reverb anyway?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Docgab, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Docgab

Docgab Member

I have to admit, I have been a reverb junky for many years. I recently picked up a Two Rocky Ruby and a 1x12 cab. I play a Rocketfire relic Strat, Timmy pedal through the TR. DAYUM!

I am in heaven! I do not miss 'verb at all. This is the most organic sounding amp that I have ever heard. There are layers of sound. The most tonally balanced amp that I have ever played through. Anybody else had this experience?

2. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Not me! For years I used it heavily.
    Some years back I got an amp that didn;t have it and kept trying reverb pedals, yuck. Finally I started playing w/o verb and after a short time realized I never needed it. Now I hate it! Some of the amps I go through are known for their awesome verb, it never factors in and I never use it.

3. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Absolutely. I just went through this with my new Fargen. I felt the exact same way you described above...

Then I thought, what would make this even better? Yup, some tasty reverb. So, I have a Dr. Scientist Reverberator pedal on the way.

I dig the verb.

4. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

Just bought a Top Hat Club royale and had the very same experience... I'm still running a little slapback delay but the need for verb is not there- it would just swallow up the complexity of the sound- like adding ice to beer.

5. bynt

bynt Member

Yeah, I've noticed that as my amps have gotten better, the less of it I use. Except with a Fender amp (which I currently don't own). I seem to always use it with them. Supers and Twins sound great without it, but I just can't NOT with them.

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

So, who really needs reverb anyway?

I, captain yellowshirt, I need reverb.

Having said that, when I played a Concorde, and some other rock amps that lacked 'verb, I didn't miss it either. wtf?

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

My favorite amps lately don't have reverb, and they are not chopped liver tonally. Still doesn't mean I want to play without reverb. A really good amp (at least to me) will adapt in unique ways to different pedals and effects. I try not to overdue anything, don't want to obscure the amp character. But there's something about just the right amount of reverb ... always did get me going and probably always will.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I find the famous fender reverb to be unusable past 2 for quiet clean tones and with the volume cranked or an OD in front of the amp its equally unusable no matter where I set it.

My heritage victory has a similar fendery reverb but it stays usable with hi volume or hi gain. Even so I never have it past 9:00 (about 2 on a fender).

IMO Delay is MUCH more useful than reverb unless you are playing really atmospheric, textural guitar parts. For playing bar gigs where everything is bright reflective wood and brass there's absolutely no need for artificial reverb. Usually theres WAAY too much natural reverb and it sounds like you're playing in a gym.

Plus spring reverb just sounds so BOINGY to me. I guess I've been spoiled by interning at a pro recording studio and running my own home studio with hi quality rack verbs.

The bottom line is that amp verb is a nice option but not totally necessary for my needs.

9. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Everyone's playing with natural reverb unless they play in an absolutly dead sounding room :)

I think this is an important factor to add in.

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Reverb is okay. I like it sometimes...but I certainly don't need it. I almost never use it live, preferring a bit of delay. Personally, I really don't care for big boingy, Fender-style reverb other than on a few classic recordings; I generally prefer subtler reverb of the Magnatone and old Gibson varieties.

11. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Same thing here - thought I needed it - but once I got sounds from a great amp - did not need it anymore.

12. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I still like reverb especially at really low volumes in rooms with no ambiance. The amp effect that I really want along with reverb is tremolo though.

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

Interesting post.:)

I just recently re-aquired an amp with spring reverb after not having one
    for 10 yrs, and find it a fun option to have especially for recording certains
    styles of music.. Not just surf, either - but a more hybridized form of
    spaghetti western/garage punk/death valley skronk/ grain silo blooz, but
    with a touch of the old psychotically reactive . :crazy:crazy:crazy

My amp of choice:
    TopHat Ambasador(80w)>>Avatar 2x12 w/ 2 Celestion golds @4 ohms.

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Member

Glad to see you are still digging the Ruby! I am still playing the Framus as well...with the rever just about pinned!

I need reverb. LOL.

Mike

15. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Never really been a reverb junky.It can be nice hear and there though.I don't currenty have an amp that has reverb.
    I live down the street from Kendrick Amps and have been thinking of having them build me a stand alone reverb unit for when I want a splash of verb.

I too have a TR Ruby that I run through a TR 212 cab.Mine is an EL84 powered 18 watter(more like 30 actually:D)and it is a very harmonically rich amp.
    Have you tried a 12AY7 in V1 yet?I highly recommend trying a good one out.A 5751 is great as well.
    Enjoy the Ruby.:AOK

16. Docgab

Docgab Member

Hey Mike,

I love the Ruby! I picked up a TR 1x12 cab a few months ago, great match.

Did you ever find a tube combination that over comes the inherently dark quality of the Framus?

17. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

i noticed the same here. "softer" amps like gibsons seem to get by just fine with a bit of vibrato or something, but fender amps can get a bit "hi fi" and in your face from the blackface era on, unless you put it in the background a bit with a touch of reverb. magnatones seem to need the same thing, at least the M15 i played did. almost sounded like a stereo rig instead of a guitar amp.

18. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

For certain styles, reverb is PART of the tone. Can you evoke the dreamy, atmospheric tone of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" or Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" or ANY raucous splash from the great Dick Dale' with a dry tone?

The answer is no.

Do many players use verb as a crutch to mask poor technique?

The answer is yes.

Verb, like everything else, is merely a tool that can and will be used and abused.

Peace,
    :)

19. Miles

Miles Member

It's nice to have for some purposes, but I rarely use it. I am mostly a ryhthm player and reverb takes away some of the tightness and percussiveness of my playing. However, sometimes, a little reverb does add some nice depth in dead rooms.

But, if I found an amp that was completely tonally wonderful and I wanted, but it didn't have reverb, I would still buy it.

Reverb isn't that essential for me.

20. Docgab

Docgab Member

The 12ay7/6072a is my favorite tube in V1. When I want to peal the wall paper I use a 5751 in V1:AOK.