So who's a fan of the American Standard Strat pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Matt L, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I've tried a few different pickups in my 2008 ash/maple American Standard, and keep going back to the stock pickups! It just sounds more alive and, well, Stratty with the stockers in there. Some were too hot, other not hot enough. Seems like the Fenders are the "just right" porridge for my guitar.

Anyone else happy with them?

Rhythm Rocker likes this.
  2. sportoflife

sportoflife Member

I had a set of Texas specials, they were great for that one sound but were totally useless for anything else.. then i went with slightly less hot tex mex pups... they were good but im now back with the stock american pups haha imagine that!

I really want to try a set of antiquities tho!

3. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I'm pretty sure that liking stock pickups is grounds for being banned from this, or any, guitar forum.

4. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Ha. Maybe just a warning-

5. Jon_L

Jon_L Member

I have a '95 American Standard, bone stock, that I bought from the original owner a couple of years ago. I love the guitar. My frame of reference is the guitar that I've owned since I was 16 in 1974. It's a Frankenstrat, with a legitimate '59 body and a '62 neck. I believe the pickguard and pickups are from the '62, but not 100% sure. They are c. 1962 parts, that much I know for certain.

I've been gigging more over the last few years and decided I no longer wanted to bring out my vintage strat to the bars, so I searched for an every day player. (A story in itself.) Anyway, I wound up with this '95 Am. Std, and I couldn't be happier. The guitar plays better than my dear old strat, and the American Standard pickups just do everything a Strat pickup should do. They sound better than my '62 pickups. I didn't want to believe it for a good long while, but it's a fact. This guitar just sounds like a Strat. I play it clean, through an original brown '61 Fender Reverb tank and a brown '61 Vibrolux, or through a blackfaced '72 Super Reverb. No effects.

So, yes, I'm a fan of American Standard Strat pickups.

6. shane88

shane88 Member

& yet i'll stick my neck out and say i have no beef with the stock pickups - they are what fender imagine a contempory strat should sound like and fender knows tone :p

7. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

After fixing up the bridge with those terrible aftermarket parts, I like the stock pickups alot they sound great.

What I don`t like is the hum especially with gain, looking at Area 61 etc, not sold on them fully yet.

Oh, mine is a 1993 alder/rosewood, sounds really good for being considered a "dog." It has gotten better sounding over time that is for sure.

8. dughaze

dughaze Member

My American Standard Strat has Texas Special pickups and I dig them. I swapped out the bridge pickup and put the original back in. My 2007 American Standard Tele sounds great with the stock pickups. I like their American Standard pickups and wonder when the prices of their American Standard guitars will go up.

9. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

:p

It certainly is a controversial stance around these parts!

10. radicool

radicool Member

I have an '89 Am Std that I bought new, and it still has the original pickups in it - it has become my frame of reference for strats. I've had a few strats of various types over the years since, and I always end up comparing them to my '89. I've had some very nice pickups in some of those guitars - better than the standard Fenders for sure - yet when I want a strat sound, I still go back to that old Am Std with the basic pups in it. The only other strat I still have now is an inexpensive Lone Star, with Texas Specials and a Pearly Gates - fun guitar but completely different sound.

11. AcornHouse

AcornHouse Member

You know who liked the stock Strat pups? Jimi Hendrix! He played bog standard Strats. (OK, now they'd be expensive collectibles, but still...)

12. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

What are their specs by the way?

13. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I'm no Strat expert, but I just bought a new American standard and the pickups are really sweet sounding, it actually sounds very much like my American standard Tele (both are alder/maple). The output is lower than my other guitars but the sound is very pure and clear, which is exactly what I was looking for.

The difference I notice between the AS pickups and the Texas Special pickups in my other two Strats (other than just output level) is the high end is much smoother and the overall sound seems more refined.

For the previous poster, it says on the Fender site that they have alnico 5 magnets but that's all at says.

JWW

14. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I believe they are Alnico 5 magnets. I measured the output on mine yesterday-

bridge-7.0k
    middle-5.9k
    neck-5.9k

15. 909one

909one Member

A friend gave me an AM Std pickup from the 90's to use in a Strat build. Its a pretty good sounding pickup. No complaints. Oddly enough I scrapped the Strat build for now and put it in the neck position of a Jazzmaster. Sounds really good actually!

16. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

I bought two SSS Strats with original pickups. The 99 sounded great and I left that one alone. The 04 sounded dull. The pickups were not the same. They didn't even look the same. I bought a Fender HSS loaded pickguard off of eBay and slapped it int the 04. Night and day. The 04 was a great player with a so-so sound. It is now my number one.

I guess you never know how the pickup situation will work out.

17. djg714

djg714 Member

I like my '11 Am Std pickups. I also have Tex Mex and Texas Specials on other Strats.
    30 years of playing Strats, no complaints.

18. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Am St pickups some of the most underrated pups around IMO. And the great thing is you can pick them up used on Ebay for dirt cheap.

19. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I may have ruined that briefly, though.:rotflmao

20. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Every once in awhile I go window shopping to replace my '08 AmSt pickups, mainly out of curiosity and old habit, I guess. But after playing them, really digging into them with some volume, I wind up shrugging my shoulders and asking what for? I really like their sound.

I have made a couple mods which have endeared them more to my liking, like removing the middle pickup from the lower tone pot, leaving it free, leaving just the bridge pickup wired to the pot, and favoring the controversial Callaham block, shorter stainless arm, saddles and springs. But the stock pickups find no disfavor with me, I dig 'em. I've often thought, if they sold under some well known boutique name, they'd be a TGP popular item, and we'd be reading about what cool replacements they are.