So who's going to compare the Box of Rock to the Crunch Box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jarick, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Peequin did a pretty cool comparison in the "10" thread:

Any other people tried both and can compare the two?

2. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

3. opdev

opdev Member

I just messed with my new BOR next to my OCD. (sorry, no crunchbox)

The BOR LOVED my 5E3 clone. It sounded great. I actually love the bbost by itself. If this is the SHO pedal than I want one.

The gain is VERY similar to the OCD. Sometimes I thought the OCD sounded smoother, sometimes I thought it was grainier. It's very close to my tone deaf ears.

I do think the BOR is a touch noisier. I think it's too noisy (basement) with both drive and boost on.

Both pedals do sound like cranked Marshalls to me. The BOR may be a little softer, spongier but I did not have alot of time.

Now, moving on to the next amp, the BOR did not soundas good to me through my Mercury. You don't actually need a pedal with the Merc since Boost 2 to me sounds better than either pedal.

The BOR seemed really noisy through thr Carr (set clean).

The Zvex manual says to set it through a marshall set to warm clean. That's very similar to a 5E3 so it sounded great.

The Carr clean is a little more towards Voxish Princeton Reverb and I did not like it as much there.

It is a great pedal and I really like the boost. Now I get the , more of everything comments.

Anyway, I need more time with it. If the OCD sounds better with ALL my amps then the BOR will go back.

However, I LOVE the OCD and the BOR is similar in gain structure and is probably a bit more versatile.

How the heck can you guys adjust that pedal live and hear that crackle?

4. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Alright, I just got paid today so I might have to run down to Twin Town and see if they've got any Vexters. If so, I can do a shoot-out recording of the Box of Rock versus OCD versus Jackhammer in overdrive mode.

Gotta keep popping Aleve daytime pills to keep the fever down though. Stupid flu.

5. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

...and I picked up a Box of Rock Vexter. Making sound clips right now...

Box of Rock vs. OCD v1 vs. Marshall Jackhammer

6. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

...and you guys are going to be suprised by this one.

7. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

man, you move fast!!!

8. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I live three miles from ground zero :D

And we were doing guitar overdubs all week so the recording stuff was setup already.

Tough part was finding a guitar...my #1 is in pieces and my #2 has a broken input jack...my Strat blows, so I had to borrow my buddy's PRS.

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Bor and Crunchbox- apples and oranges. I think the BoR and OCD are pretty comparable, both are supposed to mimic overdriven amps, both have similar gain structures. Crunchbox is Eddie VH in a box. BoR is Angus and Malcolm. OCD is malcolm playing a strat.

10. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Don't wnat to hijack the thread, but how similar is the Crunch Box and the Tube Zone? If I have owned and played the Tube Zone, doo I have an idea where the Crunch Box is coming from, or are they completely different critters?

11. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

12. gooma

gooma Member

I`ve had the BOR, Crunchbox and Tubezone here in a shootout as well.

To me the BOR has less gain than the CB and is definately spongier too.

The BOR cleans up nicely with the guitar and seems more amp like in this regard.

I just prefer the tighness the CB has on the low end as the BOR seemed too loose on the low end through my amp. Could be due to the open back can i`ve got? i`ve been running all these peals through a 1986 bass plexi, set clean through an open back cab loaded with a H75HP LHDC Scumback.

I actually prefer the gain levels that the BOR has, i`m running the CB at only about 9oclock. AS the others said the BOR does the classic rock type gain real well whereas the CB is moreso EVH levels. I`m copping great ACDC crunch on the CB with the gain about 8-30 to 9oclock.

I`ve heard so many great things about the BOR and it just didnt work for me, i`m thinking that my open back cab may have had something to do with the loose low end. That and my bass plexi has a ton of low end on tap may not have helped. The cb seems to shine with this setup tho.

The Tubezone, on the other hand has so many different adjustable parameters. The character control on this pedal to me is great for setting how much sag you want. It`s my pick of these 3 pedals but then again everybody will see it diffeently. It sounds great as an overdrive and even better doing higher gain stuff.

This is all probably as clear as mud but hope it helps in some way. I think buying a few to A-B against each other is a great idea find out what works for you.

Brad

13. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Thanks for that summary Brad...

Yeah the BoR didn't have the amount of gain I would have liked. I guess I'm more of a JCM 800 guy. It also sounded a little constricted instead of dynamic. Dunno why that is. Sounds like the CB is closer to what I'm looking for.

Ideally, I'd run the CB as a lower to mid gain "rock" pedal and a Tube Zone as a quasi-metal pedal. Doesn't hurt that the CB is half the price of a BoR.

14. gooma

gooma Member

Thats exactly how i`m running things here ATM, i`ve got the CB set for a nice crunch (gain about 9oclock) and the TZ set for a heavier more bass heavy (recto) sound. I`ve got the TZ dialed in so it sounds great for heavy rhythm and nice for leads too.
    I`m stoked with the sounds i`m getting with this setup right now, it`s the best sound i`ve had at low volumes yet.

My Richter control attenuator is sitting there looking quite afraid!!!!:D

15. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like you may really like the BJF Dyna Red.:dude

I love my Dyna Red, especially stacked with the HB, but I have a Box of Rock on the way, so I'll be able to compare next week.

16. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Sweet...I like pedals that can get heavy like a Recto but still have some meaty mids. The TZ sounds like it can do that :dude