So, Who's Still Rocking A Twin Reverb?

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I get this itch periodically to go back to a Twin Reverb (more likely a good clone) and it makes me wonder if I've lost my mind or if other folks also like to use the big wattage. Without talking about volume (Jimmy Bruno used to gig with one, so...) and let's drop the "heavy comments" (a lot of boutique 30 waters weigh as much or more), anybody out there still gigging with a Twin or similar?

Last edited:

Dharmajester

Absolutely.. Did a tour a couple of years back where I had the luxury of multiple backline amps to choose from on a few shows. Ac 30's, reissue Deluxe's, various Super's, and silverface Twins.. Twins just had something extra the others seemed to lack on those theatre stages... Been using one ever since, not cranked and just for cleans though..

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
oh yeah! big iron is where it's at...and vintage bf IS pretty special and not even that expensive for the 85 watters!

'65 feic...when i need to cram it in a car (or a bit less volume) i use a '67 showman into 1-12 cab...

Wag

'65 feic...when i need to cram it in a car (or a bit less volume) i use a '67 showman into 1-12 cab...
Cramming an amp into a car is why I bought a Twin. When I traded my truck in for a Miata back in 2001 it made transporting my Bandmaster a wee bit tricky unless the top is down. The Twin rides very nicely! :rotflmao

It's been years since I've gigged in a band, but the Twin is still my favorite WMD when I jam. It gets my point across.

Glide

I like my twin with the Concord running together with a switchbone. Then I bleed in just a bit of reverb from the twin.

Strat87

I downsized from an orange half stack to a twin reverb and haven't looked back. Anyone who thinks they are too heavy should try a half stack for a few shows and get back to me lol.

Stratoben127

It's not my main amp but I use my '68 Twin a lot. I've used it for big gigs either in stereo with my main JTM45 or alone on 8-10, but most often it's for lower volume gigs as a pedal platform because I will not use pedals with my JTM45.

zxc1974

I gig w/ my 69 drip edge 100% of the time. I've got two 4 hole Marshall 50 watt JMPs: a '69 and '71 which are god-like, but the Twin wins hands down every time for a gig.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
All other enablers please chime in! Anybody beside Raul Malo using the Vintage Sounds clone? Looks like a great amp.

MartinLove

I downsized from an orange half stack to a twin reverb and haven't looked back. Anyone who thinks they are too heavy should try a half stack for a few shows and get back to me lol.
What? A Twin is 70 lbs. If you are content with a Twin, chances are you never needed a 412 cab in the first place. Thus, you could've had a 2x12 cab and a head instead of a heavy Twin to lug around.

Guitar Dave T

In would really love to still be using a Twin - my non MV silverface was the best sounding, hands down, of three I owned, which also included an original 65. The silverface did a phenomenal job with OD pedals at manageablle volume levels, and with a combination V30 and CL80, was just an all-around awesome amp, even capable of Eric Johnson lead tones with the right fuzz and echo. I would guess that a Zendrive and a couple G12-66's could easily get you into Robben Ford territory with that amp, and a Tube Screamer with the gain backed way down and a 335 could put you into Freddie King tone land easily.

But yea, I have to play the weight card. With severe back issues, even just a 2x12 separate cab is more than I care to lift, so now it's mostly 1x12 and head.

Maybe I should build a head cab for a Twin Reverb chassis and wheel in two separate 1x12 cabs.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I don't gig, but I just love my Twin. I play it almost exclusively, and Ive got some other nice amps to choose from. And its a monster with fuzz pedals!

The TR is THE gold standard of amps. It's the best blank canvas in the world for you to paint your sound with. Nothing will ever compete with it for cleans, and nothing takes pedals as well. If it didn't weigh 65lbs and TGP'ers weren't so lazy it would be more popular than the pipsqueek PR.

Guitar Dave T

The TR is THE gold standard of amps. It's the best blank canvas in the world for you to paint your sound with. Nothing will ever compete with it for cleans, and nothing takes pedals as well. If it didn't weigh 65lbs and TGP'ers weren't so lazy it would be more popular than the pipsqueek PR.
Lazy? Sure, kid. May you live this long and find out for yourself.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Love my Twin. Amazing cleans and loves my pedals. I play loud freak rock, and the Twin simply kills.

Just looking at it the other day, I was blown away by the thought that, for it's size and foot print, I would never be under powered, anywhere, never.
There is just no stage made by man that's too big for a Twin.

Which is great, you know, just in case you play the enormo-dome without a PA.
Of course, the sound guy would still tell you to turn down.

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
as always, dave t brings up a great point -- fenders w/ celestions!

when i had the matchless bug years ago, i just could NOT let go of my clean tone and ditch the twin, but i still felt my od and mids were missing something...

so i stole matchless' idea of mixing speakers and just about flipped out at my mix of clean and dirty perfection i'd achieved...took the most versatile tonal palette ever invented and made it MORE versatile??? sick...just sick!!!

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
as always, dave t brings up a great point -- fenders w/ celestions!

when i had the matchless bug years ago, i just could NOT let go of my clean tone and ditch the twin, but i still felt my od and mids were missing something...

so i stole matchless' idea of mixing speakers and just about flipped out at my mix of clean and dirty perfection i'd achieved...took the most versatile tonal palette ever invented and made it MORE versatile??? sick...just sick!!!

You gotta tell us what speaker you picked!