So who's the biggest Skreddy Collector here?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lestercollector, May 31, 2012.

1. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

Ok, here's some pics. I've never done a family portrait or anything. Waiting to complete the collection for that. Anyway, a couple pics of some of my beloved Skreddys. All hail Marc!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Damn Muff, that's awesome :drool

3. 9520575

9520575 Member

Wow, So much same. Much muff.

4. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I havent been this jealous in a long time. I have a LMMD. Thats it.

5. jhideout

jhideout Member

Trying to do the math in my head..I can't count that high in dollars.:cry:

6. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

Oh the math is easy

There's 78 pedals, so if we assume a nice round number like $100 per pedal, that's $7800

But I guess a Skreddy pedal averages out to more than $100 per pedal. I think over a large number, many bought used here at TGP (sincere thank-you to EVERYONE who sold me a Skreddy or helped me land a rare one - everyone has been amazing to deal with, almost as nice as Marc himself.....), I think $200 per pedal is a pretty fair number to go with. So double the previous figure. If you want. I'm sure as heck not going to, I am terrified to know what the actual number looks like.

Worth it and then some. I've never collected something before, so why not do it proper this one time? I adore Skreddys, I've never found a brand where every single model gels with me so perfectly. I love Marc, I think he is a legend and yet feel his work is under-rated. We are incredibly lucky to have his taste, experience, ears and attention to detail.

And finally, all these 78 pedals are different, and all sound different. See all those Mayos? No two have the same configuration of components and features (flat Mids, scooped Mids, Mids switch, Mullard tropical fish input capicitor, etc.). The four Pink Flesh pedals all have a different complement of transistor types in them. They all sound different.

These things are absolutely wonderful to me, I'm addicted to them and I love finding new graphics or component selections within a model, and I love trying older and new builds of the same model side by side and appreciating the subtle differences. It's amazing stuff, so fun. And all this obsessing over Skreddys has led to a bazillion hours more of me getting to play guitar and have a blast making music than I would have spent otherwise. And after all, that's really why we are all here, isn't it?

Huge respect and love to Marc and to all you guys and girls who passionately support your favorite designers and builders.

7. krz4fx

krz4fx When too many really is TOO many... Gold Supporting Member

All I can say is WOW!!! The list you showed is just outrageous!!!:bow

8. krz4fx

krz4fx When too many really is TOO many... Gold Supporting Member

After Muff Wiggler collection, everything looks meh, but I want in. Here's what I got (LMMD is not in the picture as it was purchased later):

[​IMG]

sickboy79 likes this.
  9. Liquid_Mojo

Liquid_Mojo Supporting Member

Here's mine! Not as nice as Muff Wiggler :bow and it isn't an up to date photo. Had a SupaTone, Pig Mine and Screwdriver Mini Deluxe. Sideways Down #2 isn't pictured. GMP and Mayonnaise MKIII are on the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

^^^^ that Gashpaint Mayo was the first Skreddy I ever tried!

(edit: oops! its a Donnerbox, not a Gashpaint)

It used to belong to a guy named Chris in Rhode Island (unless you are him, in which case hi Chris!) who very kindly shipped it up to me in Canada so I could try it out. At the time I was trying to convince myself I didn't want a Mayo, that the cost wasn't justified and I already had many nice Muffs.

Chris lent that beauty to me and as much as I wanted to be underwhelmed it simply destroyed all the other Muff's I a/b'ed it against. It became very obvious that I wasn't going to be able to go back. So sadly I mailed it back to Chris and the obsession began.

But that very pedal right there is the one that started it all for me!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  11. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

It's got to be one of the rarest out there. I have only seen one come up for sale, about a year ago on the BJFE forum. Sadly I missed it.

Mine was begged from a guy who initially didn't seem to want to part with it. Al sorted me out with my Sideways Down #1 and the Dual Loop.

I would love to find another - part of the justification of my collection is to have both the "old school" and "full colour" graphics for pedals that have been issued with both options (also having "no mids switch" and "yes mids switch" versions of pedals that initially had no mids switch and then later gained one). While the moons graphic on the Dual Loop is not quite "full colour", there is a 'text only' old school graphic that was also used for these pedals and I've been unable to find one. It's one of the few items i'll still on the hunt for to complete this collection.

Favorites? Wow that's hard. Mayo is very dear to my heart as it's the one that started this all, and I use it all the time. Mayonaise and CogDis1 for sure are faves, but Giant Meat Pie is honestly my favourite Muff build in the bunch. The thing is outrageous, it's got SMOOOOOTH for years and this warm, vintage 70's kinda feeling.

I'm also crazy for the Echo. I use pairs of them in stereo setups all the time with synths and drum machines and whatever I'm messing with at the moment. The Echo always sounds incredible.

Love the heaviness of Pink Flesh, the impeccable perfection and flexibility of the LMMD in terms of FUZZ, and the Sideways Down is impossible to play without a huge smile on your face.

I love 'em all for sure but those are the highlights for me.

12. succor

succor Member

I hope the OP edits the title to include "it's Muff Wiggler"

Do they sound the same to you? I understand they essentially are the same pedal.

The GMP (2N5828 version) is the best Skreddy Muff I've tried. That one is really special. Glad to hear you feel the same with all that you have to compare it to!

13. succor

succor Member

How often do you bring your collection to Portland, Muff Wiggler? :D

14. jurfin

jurfin Member

i think i love this thread.

at one point - i had a LMMD, a P19, and a LMS.

those were the days : )

15. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Pretty sure that's a Donnerbox Smashed Pumpkin Mayo. DonneR of Bearfoot FX did some limited enclosure runs for Marc at one point.

I used to have a Donnerboxed Mayo and a Donnerboxed Pink Flesh:

[​IMG]

16. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

fair point - pretty sure Donnerbox and Gashpaint are the same thing :)

17. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

sure do! and indeed they are - only difference is CD1 has a mids switch.

18. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

never I'm sorry to say

19. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Hmm ... I don't think so. Don used to paint boxes under the Donnerbox name pre-Bearfoot. Gashpaint is another guy (Adam Fifield), who I think was also one of the swankbox guys. I do think Gashpaint does some of the custom painted Bearfoot pedals, though.

20. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

I stand corrected :)

It's definitely a Donnerbox in this case. I have a Donnerbox ? Lady which was certainly painted by the same dude in the same fashion.