So who's the biggest Skreddy Collector here?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lestercollector, May 31, 2012.

1. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

^^^ Bet it's pretty! The ?Lady is one of the few I've never had the pleasure of playing and always wanted to try.

2. Liquid_Mojo

Liquid_Mojo Supporting Member

Wow! You're right! I bought the pedal off of Chris back in 2012. It's one of my favorites. It sounds amazing, and it's quiet too. Those transistors are known for being noisy. It's quieter then my Pink Flesh, which I love! And yes, it's a Donnerbox finish called Smashed Pumpkin.:dude

So I have the pedal that started your Skreddy obsession! :D

3. Bushy

Bushy Member

4. Jasper

Jasper Member

Lots of Skreddy experts in this thread... a good place to ask this.

Since the Mayonaise was a straight up clone of the triangle muff, has there ever been a Skreddy that was a straight up clone of the Ram's head? I believe the Ernie was based on a Ram's, but not sure if it was a parts for parts clone.

Would really love a sick Skreddy ram's head build.

5. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

i'd say Giant Meat Pie BC239 is going to be your best bet and the closet to a Ram's Head, though not perfectly part-for-part like the Mayonaise/Triangle.

BC239's were used in a lot of original Ram's Head Muffs

Haiku36 likes this.
  6. Jasper

Jasper Member

Would you say something like the Wren and Cuff Caprid is a more faithful repro of a Ram's Head?

7. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

I have a Caprid and in terms of appearance it certainly is!

Seriously though, it's SO hard to compare in that manner - really. Line up a dozen original Ram's Head Muffs, they will all sound slightly (and sometimes significantly!) different from each other.

I'm sure you could find a Ram's Head that the Caprid sounded closer to than the Skreddy. And you could find another Ram's Head that the Skreddy sounds closer to. For sure.

There aren't any absolutes in this stuff, so it really is hard/impossible to say "Pedal X sounds closer to the original vintage deal from mojo year 197x".

W&C makes killer pedals though, I have five different Muffs from them. Their build and quality and reliability are in my opinion as good as it gets, they are built exceptionally well and are crazy tough. I love their art and their overall vibe. I love the fact that they love Muff's as well.

W&C makes, in my opinion, the best available version of the Tall Font/Civil War version Russians. That's a pedal I *love* and have had numerous originals and clones over the years. I wish wish wish wish wish Marc would make one, but I don't think he will.

Anyway the W&C one is killer good. As close as close can get to my original Tall Font. There is just something so huge and wooly about these Muff's, it's the only version that is at all like this.

But for Triangle and Ram's Head Muffs, I greatly prefer the Skreddys. That was a long-winded way of answering your question but I want to be fair to W&C who make really good pedals too.

Also factor in my own bias because I ain't gonna lie, I'm kinda nuts for Skreddy pedals.

8. freddy_von

freddy_von Member

How would you compare the different GMP pedals you have?

9. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The original Mayonaise is the only Skreddy that is a straight part for part replica of an EHX design so there is no Ram Head version of that concept. Many Skreddy pedals use elements that are similar to Rams Head muffs though.

10. succor

succor Member

11. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

I love that pic. Sadly Marc has sold at least a few of these off, but I was lucky enough to land a couple of them. #25, 27 & 39 are all part of my collection now. As far as the others in that pic, I know he's also sold #28, #32, and #36

That Mayo (#36 in the pic) is a very early one, it's the one that traveled all around in a tourbox doing lots of demos before returning home to Marc.

I'm pretty sure he still has that Mayonaise. I hope he does, he should hang onto that one forever and decades from now give it to his kids and tell them it's the one that started it all......

Conch27 likes this.
  12. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

Yeah both versions of the Giant Meat Pie could have been part-for-part rams head replicas, other than the transistor used in the first version, which was not strictly an original FS36999 but was something that sounded very much like it only with a bit more bite, which IMO is even better sounding than an original. Oh and other than the fact that they used tropical fish capacitors, which are a huge sonic upgrade compared to what you'd find in an original EHX build. Oh, and the true bypass switching and LED indicator. And upgraded hard plastic battery snap. And better quality wires and jacks. :crazyguy (srsly, ever repair a vintage one and have the wires just break from normal handling?)

All the parts values used reflect actual parts values, each of which has been found in at least one historical rams head specimen.

But really things like the Pink Flesh, the Ernie, the Pig Mine, etc., etc., all feature common rams head mods/variations too, though none of them are intentionally part-for-part clones of actual vintage models, per se. They just liberally use the various mods and tricks as part of their palette of colors and are aimed at making a particular tone as opposed to copying a particular historic piece.

13. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

Muff Wiggler is the man. :bow But there are a LOT of folks with much better Skreddy collections than I have! He's in good company! :BluesBros

14. Muff Wiggler

Muff Wiggler Member

as far as i know, Ernie, Mayo & Zero are the ones which didn't have, then later had, a mids switch

for the Mayo the early non flip versions seemed to be standardized as scooped mids unless specificed differently at order. I have one that has a small "flat mids" label on the main graphic.

My scooped mids mayo sounds different from my flipswitch mayo in the scooped setting, and my flat mids mayo sounds different from my flipswitch mayo in the flat setting.

hth

15. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Unfortanately, I missed out on the Mayo, Pink Flesh era. Ive owned quite a few after them pedals. Would like to have some of them back. I always like to see these big collections!! I love all the one offs. I started a thread a few years ago called Fruity Mouthwatering Skreddys because theyre all so beautiful looking!

16. CenterNegative

CenterNegative Member

:beer AL is me! I got a shoutout and almost missed it. I def did NOT want to part with either pedal but I knew it was helping complete something important so I was still happy it worked out. If it were me trying to complete a collection Id hope someone would do the same for me. Hope all is well, brother!:beer

17. sa1126

sa1126 Member

18. Grubgoat

Grubgoat Member

I wanna bump this; it seems like every 4 or 5 years new guys get sucked in, and others make it out (for instance Mighty Muff Wiggler above has sold all his, I believe...).

I don't have a current pic (I wanna make a 360 video with all my Skreddies standing around you and you can scroll through them), but I basically own one of everything Marc has put out (even Animal pedals), minus the Wall Buster. And I don't have anything exotic like the Sideways Downs or the Double Skreddy Zero/Mayo, or any prototypes.

What'cha got?

Jess 1971 likes this.
  19. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I’ve sold a ton, but still have:
    Rubber soul
    Dynamic mids enhancer
    Hybrid fuzz driver
    Kusanagi
    Zero
    Echo

These are the killers that made the cut.

20. ciclosonico

ciclosonico Member