1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

So why are so many WCR's up for sale?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by loopjunkie, Sep 28, 2006.

1. loopjunkie

loopjunkie Member

What gives? I was just getting ready to get a set and it seems the flavor of the month has changed? I don't know?

I like my Lindy Fralin PAF's (in my Les Paul Classic) a lot but everybody has been using the WCR's and really liking them? So I was like maybe I will pick a set up? what kind of change in tone can I expect and why are people dropping them now? do they have a strange tone, not react well with pedals, what?

2. King Ceramic

King Ceramic Guest

How many is a lot? A set or two here and there? The guy makes a LOT of them, and is instant gratification. Out the door in a day or two,not a 2 year wait or anything like that. I think he spends his whole life at the winder. I even believe he's even one of the last of the true hand-winders.Tried and true, they do what he advertises. Call him up, he'll fix you right up.
    Flavor of the month? Try the last coupla years, definitely no flash in the pan....lol
    :RoCkIn

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

They were never the flavor of the month. They've been popular for years now, so there are a lot of them out there. Sure, some change hands here and there but everything around here does. This forum is populated by thousands of guys who think there's something better out there. Don't let a few "For Sale" ads discourage you from buying a proven product.

Been thinking about picking some up myself...

4. K-man

K-man Member

Could be people trying out different WCR's too. Selling their darkbursts to try goodwoods, etc.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Jim Wagner at WCR is truly one of the good ones-I have been endorsing his products for about 2 years...He oversees and hand winds every pickup that leaves his shop,he personally does quality control on every pickup before it leaves the shop,he speaks with every customer and treats them as if their guitar is his guitar.His pickups are in all of my electric guitars and will always be.Why?Because they sound like the best vintage pickups ever made are in my guitars.If you try them,you will be hard-pressed to find a better hand-wound...

6. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

7. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

My WCRs are in my LP for good. I did try few different WCR neck pickups to finally get the sound I wanted. The ones I didn't use I sold here.

I went through a few diferent brands before I tried the WCRs. And then I tried a few different WCRs. Now my LP sounds just like I want it to.

8. loopjunkie

loopjunkie Member

Thanks everyone! I didn't mean to seem like I thought they really where the "flavour of the month" but I got my Lindys because everyone seemed to be doing it. and I REALLY like them, I wish the neck pup was a little brighter but I get to wondering could there be better? so I was looking for some more info and I found about 5-10 up for sale in the last week or so and I was starting to get discouraged about getting a set.

So I think I will get a set, any recommendations? I am a big Zep fan and a even bigger Warren Haynes fan. would there be a pup set that pulled these tones? (also a little brighter on the neck pup?)

9. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I can get great Mule and Zep tones with the WCR Filmores in my Les Paul. From what I have been reading here sounds like the Darkbursts would work for you also. (I haven't tried them though)

Matt

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

This is The Gear Page.

You could have pickups made by God himself, and there would be folks who would love 'em for a month or so, but then want to see what ELSE there is out there. ;)

11. loopjunkie

loopjunkie Member

Yes you are very right and would you restrain yourself from saying anything that funny again; as new I have to clean a mouthful of soda off my monitor. :AOK :jo

12. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Drop a dime and some time to call Jim Wagner (209-588-0621). Tell him exactly what you're looking for and he'll be able to make a valid recommendation. He knows what Page sounds like, as well as Warren (btw, remember that Warren plays a Soldano SLO dimed, and that lends a lot to his sound). If for no other reason, a conversation with Jim can help you understand a lot of how pickups work, why certain ones sound like they do, etc... It truly is time well spent and Jim loves to hear from customers and to share knowledge. Best of luck!

13. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Indeed, give Jim a call.

I've got some of his Darkburst/Crossroads combos in a few guitars, and they will cover a LOT of territory sound-wise. The Crossroads neck is his brightest humbucker, they typically test out at around 7.5k DC resistance. The Darkburst bridge is still in the PAF camp, but a bit hotter. Great all around response - nice, sweet high end with the right amount of midrange.

14. erksin

erksin Member

I love my Fillmore bridge - without a doubt the best humbucker I've ever owned. Superb clarity, fat harmonics, cleans up incredibly well - if I ever need another humbucker I'm going to WCR first.

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I've used WCR pickups of all flavors pretty much exclusively since about 3 years ago. Never once have I thought about swapping them, nor have I second thought the choice one bit.

I paid full price for them and get nothing - at all - in return except tone out the wahzoo. :D

16. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Okay, all this WCR talk is making the hair on the back of my neck itch! I've got an SR set in my Strat, and now I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Goodwood/Darkburst set that I ordered last weekend for my SG. I'm very pleased with the SRs, and I can't wait to hear the humbuckers too!

17. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Jim's a true gentleman, and his pups are an asset to anyone looking for great tone-Get 'em and smile!!:dude

18. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I tried a few WCR singles/sets (Darkburst, Goodwoods...I think...) and they were fine pickups but not my cup of tea, so sold them here. Try some, flip 'em if you don't dig 'em. FWIW, if you're looking for Warren Haynes tones, why not check out the pickups he's known for using (Seymour Duncans)? -Guy

19. erksin

erksin Member

Guy -

I bought your Fillmore I think...

I love it!

Mike

20. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

Once you try out a set of WCRs, you just want to try out more of them :AOK I'd also guess that people are just swapping. Personally, i only have one non-WCR pickup left, just because it sounds dirty.