so wil we see a $500 unit from line6 anymore? Seems the pricpoint bar has been raised?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratcat1980, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM.

1. stratcat1980

stratcat1980 Member

Just wondering. I think when a company tests the waters in pricing and sets the bar higher pricewise that it stays up there for the most part. I am more interested in the 200-600.00 range myself and think in this pricepoint is where the rubber meets the road and real innovation excels because of constraints of pricepoint. Sure innovation happens at higher end stuff-no kidding but they have a larger financial window to work with so i am more impressed with the low-mid level modelers that sound great.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 3:29 PM
  2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Are you saying that real innovation is in the 2-600 range? If so, I think what you describe as "innovation" I would be more likely to describe as "compromise". While price points are sometimes hit with out of the box thinking, I'd say it's more often accomplished by giving up something that's fairly desirable.

That said, I have no inside info but wouldn't be at all surprised to see a successor to the Pod HD line.

KenG and LordByron like this.
  3. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Digital Igloo has said that if they started the HD500 line from scratch today, it would be a $600 unit with not a single upgraded feature due to modern component costs.

But I seem to recall Line 6 releasing Helix Native for just $399 (or less should be able to wring a bargain out of Sweetwater or get on a holiday sale), so there you go. All of Line 6's current innovation is well within your price range!

4. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Now if Line 6 would release a FBV-Express sized pedal that you could load Helix Native presets on to, in the $200-300 range. They’d be laughing!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:31 PM
  5. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

What would such a product consist of? All the hardware of an HD500 using a newer processor? If they release that without revamping the modeling software, it gets written off as stale recycling of old tech. If they release a product with all the HD500 hardware + new modeling software...its outside the $600 price point, I'd imagine. If they release something with less hardware than the HD500...then you've got a bunch of $200 products to compete against. Maybe a revamp of the XX4 line.

yeky83 and LordByron like this.
  6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Maybe they will release a 2 button Helix that can only store 4-5 presets? I bet that would bring the cost down.

yeky83 likes this.
  7. mikah912

mikah912 Member

You really want them to delay firmware efforts for months at a time - again - to try (in vain, most likely) to ensure preset/editor/firmware parity with a AmplifireBox-type form factor, tho?

Remember that the AFB concept is based on a platform with fixed instances of all blocks and limited flexibility across all price points. Helix is not.

LordByron and Bentayuk like this.
  8. Stokely

Stokely Member

That's my price range as well. Seems like the innovation happens further up though, except on the software front. I just picked up s-gear for $99, it's hard for me to imagine an amp sim that is *much* better than it is.

Obviously, to use it live though you need a computer, interface, cabling etc.

9. Watt McCo

And genuinely be unlike any product Line 6 has EVER released.

Bentayuk likes this.
  10. JiveTurkey

Removing one of the buttons might bring the price down even further!

11. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Perhaps a stately leather-bound tome that simply describes the sounds and effects in great detail would get it down even further...? :D

Holzar88, JK47, arislaf and 3 others like this.
  12. Watt McCo

What if we get rid of all the buttons, just have a combined single TRS jack that acts as both input and output once you get the right adapter/breakout cable, and is controlled only by my phone via bluetooth?

Madmax25 and Digital Igloo like this.
  13. JiveTurkey

Probably going to have to be Pleather to meet the price point.

14. JiveTurkey

Build a single preset helix into a G10 wireless unit. I'll go ahead and get Frank my payment information.

CreamTele2, Watt McCo and Bentayuk like this.
  15. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Look at the bright side: You will probably prefer the tones of this unit.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  16. JiveTurkey

I'll get back to you once I figure out how to take that comment.

:p

17. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Ok, that settles it. Not a fairer point could be made.

LordByron and mikah912 like this.
  18. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

I'm sure there will be more units in that lower-middle price range, but they will be current/previous gen modeling filtered through newer hardware and they won't be as full-featured as the more expensive stuff. It will be more like the Firehawk FX, though, in that it will probably combine some of the HD and helix tech, but with limited signal routing/hardware options and few (if any) firmware additions. I think we'll see L6 keep moving forward with stuff in the upper price range and spend more development/programming time there and the middle stuff will be like Boss stuff - one or two firmware updates to fix bugs and maybe a surprise add-on, but otherwise WYSIWYG.

19. Jarick

Jarick Member

Depends on the use case...is there demand for a $500 all-in-one modeler?

New guitarist just starting out would probably want a physical amp, so it makes more sense to get a Spider.

Guitarists looking to add effects to an existing rig would be better served with M5/9/13.

If you're looking for headphone practice...there's maybe an iPad app?

Otherwise the unit would just be a dumbed down Helix which would frustrate the user with limitations.

I could maybe see a Helix Mini or something that has a touchscreen interface and a few buttons/no expression pedal.

aleclee and LordByron like this.
  20. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

I’d like to see an updated M-series with updated sounds and better midi capability. The helix series serves the amp modeling market. That product line is in direct competition with the axe fx and ax8. A line 6 pedal in the form of ultimate m-whatever would be a great counterpart to the fx8.

LordByron and Watt McCo like this.