so wil we see a $500 unit from line6 anymore? Seems the pricpoint bar has been raised?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratcat1980, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM.

1. Jarick

Jarick Member

That's kind of what I was thinking, but it would be hard to make an effects-only unit that isn't the Helix. You can use it for effects only if you want as there's no limitation with blocks like the AX8.

The other thing I could see is an updated M-series, but again if you borrow enough from the Helix it makes less sense.

2. Stokely

Stokely Member

I'd argue that there is a market for $500 or so units with amp sims.

I personally could do without the touchscreen, if that saved $. I would do most "move blocks around" editing on a computer anyway.

The Mooer unit just came out, we'll see how it sounds as more people use it. It's on the low end of this hypothetical range, yet it ticks the feature boxes. IRs, patches, fx...obviously the sound has to be there.

3. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Thats funny, because the Boss Gt-100 has all the "flagship" features (besides IR loading) and it's $500. Newer microprocessors have more power at same price as five years ago (or same power at lower price.)

If you believe Moore's law, today's equivalent processor will have 4x as much power as when the GT was released. So really, how do these things end up getting more expensive over time? Chinese currency is pegged to the dollar so they don't experience inflation, so how much has manufacturing costs really gone up?

yanakosk likes this.
  4. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

I think paying $1500 and not using the amps is kind of a waste of money. The M-series with better components and algorithms would serve those of us who are happy with our amps and want to supplement our rigs with a multi fx. The cost of such a unit is anyone’s guess though. I’d be willing to pay ~$500- $700 for that.

5. rsm

rsm Member

If Zoom releases a successor to the old G9.2tt with the right features, I'd pay ~$499.99 for one.

The main reason I moved to Boss GT-100 from my Zoom G-5 was no G9 successor; wish I kept one or both my G9 and G5.

yanakosk likes this.
  6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

I think I am probably going to say HelixFX a trillion times before someone actually listens to me.

KeLynne likes this.
  7. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

The GT-100 has a completely flexible signal chain with the ability for multiple redundant blocks, microphone input, bass and guitar modeling, multiple FX loops, and current generation modeling?
    I don't follow the markets on manufacturing electronics. From what I understand overseas production is getting more expensive, so whether the component cost is down doesn't really matter much. I've played a GT-100. It sounds fine until you compare to any of the devices in the next bracket, which is why it's a $500 unit and not a $1200 unit.

8. JiveTurkey

I don't like Helix modeling AT ALL and commented a number of times in this thread. And I like cheap stuff when at all possible :dunno

KeLynne and stratcat1980 like this.
  9. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

I’d buy it. But I’m not buying a helix or helix lt just to use the effects only. Remove the amp modeling and even the xp, then dedicate that processing power to quality sounds and customizable fx configuration (pre/post, an fx loop like the m13) and that’s the perfect multifx pedal.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  10. JiveTurkey

Agreed. Especially when that reverb update hits.

KeLynne likes this.
  11. JiveTurkey

The Firebox is a stupidly cheap way to buy in to top tier modeling tone without having to drop a ton of money.

12. chequepoint

chequepoint Member

I hate to say it but for anyone who had a mid to high end rig before the helix and wanted to make the switch, I essentially got paid to buy my Helix LT when I was able to unload my pedalboard and smaller tube combo. Plus the financing through Sweetwater or Zzounds makes the price point nearly a non-issue. I'm not trying to be insensitive to the broke as hell musician thing because nobody gets it better than me, but without discounts on a 12 month plan it's like $80 a month to own an LT? And I don't have to worry about tubes or pedals or anything? I'm taking gigs that I would never have taken before because they weren't worth lugging my gear to, but the helix is so easy that I've been saying "eh, why not." So again, more money in my pocket because of the helix.

-Empire likes this.
  13. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

How would a HelixFX differ from a Helix (or LT) hardware wise to bring its cost down? Get rid of audio-over-USB; get rid of the XLR outs; get rid of variax input; get rid of the digital out. Is the switching/workflow different? Smaller/simpler screen? It'd still be huge. (Edit to tag @JiveTurkey and @KeLynne )

Digital Igloo likes this.
  14. JiveTurkey

I can think of AT LEAST $17.93 in parts that can bring it down from the Sweetwater lucky deal $899 price to my projected/desired $499 target price.

:anon

15. Watt McCo

I think you could get there in an M9 style w/ scribble strips and capacitive footswtiches. 6 effects available simultaneously, can assign switches in stomp or scene mode as you like. Put an effects loop in it.

KeLynne and JiveTurkey like this.
  16. JiveTurkey

Also; no expression pedal, no headphone jack, single fx loop, screw you Variax and digital output. That might be $27.95 in parts.

17. Watt McCo

Well, if we recall from the variax thread, that equates to $700 retail, so bang on!

Jarick and JiveTurkey like this.
  18. JiveTurkey

I was too busy in the 13pin thread to read anything.

19. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

~M9 size with Better quality switches, better effects sounds, midi in/out/thru, pre/post option, stereo outs, maybe fx loop if it would fit. I feel like this could be done.

20. Watt McCo

Some guy with a lot of expertise :rolleyes: gave a breakdown of how the variax standard cost's $30 to manufacture...