so wil we see a $500 unit from line6 anymore? Seems the pricpoint bar has been raised?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratcat1980, Dec 7, 2017.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

OHHHHHHH THAT thread. Yeah I didn't want to pay $700 for a $30 guitar either so I get it.

:hide:D

mbenigni likes this.
  2. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Completely flexible FX chain, stereo pathing/mixing/merging/multi-mics? Yes. Excellent UI that inspired the Helix design? Yes. Redundant blocks, there are two assignable blocks (FX1, FX2) that can run any FX, so yes. Microphone input, who cares? Bass modeling, yes. It has one assignable/switchable FX loop, not two. 2/4 audio interface with easy reamping? Yes. Pitch to midi conversion? Yes. The LED screens show pedal assignments, but they aren't scribble strips, some argue they are more visible.

Next generation modeling will be available, of course. Point being that you can get a microprocessor that is 2-4x as powerful for the same price as ones from five years ago. All they have to do is upgrade the processor, add IRs, and put color screens and you have Boss' new flagship with Helix feature set. I can't imagine any scenario where they would need to charge 3x as much for it.

Helix was a huge leap from the HD500x, but not such a big leap from the GT100.

yanakosk likes this.
  3. Guitardave

Guitardave Member

I predict a Digitech RP360XP format/size pedal from L6 will be available in the next 12-24 months at a retail price point of $500-600, street price around $350-$400. And I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

4. stratcat1980

stratcat1980 Member

not me. I still think they wont canabalize the helix by putting anything out as good(in terms of the bar) at 1/2 the price...no way.

5. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

[​IMG]

6. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

You should check out the GT-100. It does all that, just don't use the models.

7. Guitardave

Guitardave Member

We'll see with time! And while I'm prognosticating I'll guess they'll announce it at or before next years Anaheim NAMM show.

8. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

The Boss MS-3 is the droid you are looking for.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ms-3/

JiveTurkey likes this.
  9. stratcat1980

stratcat1980 Member

absolutely~! I am all for ANY release from any company.I just suspect how line 6 seems to do things more or less. The spider v i played was garbage. The stereo one was better but still didnt wow me.

10. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

When boss rolls out the Gt-1000 at $599, Line 6 will follow with either a new $500 product, or they will lower the Helix LT to match the Boss flagship. The Helix price will drop to $1200, get them for 1K on sale.

yanakosk likes this.
  11. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Less fx loops and more onboard switches so I can double-duty it as a midi controller :drink

12. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

Yeah, I was looking at that. It would definitely fit the bill in terms of flexibility and price but it’s quite large and also how do the delays sound compared to the eventide timefactor? I’m pretty attached to that delay box.

13. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

If you don't use the amp/cab modeling in the Helix, all of the processing power is dedicated to the effects... That's one thing that makes it the most flexible modeler on the market right now... It's a killer effects-only board.

The Helix basically does everything the M13 can do, minus some of the filter effects, but it does much, much more.

14. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I'd love a Bean-Helix (in fact, I'd want it to literally be called that) that has an effects loop. I have zilch need for a floorboard unit. Perhaps an AA3-sized unit at most.

15. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

At the price of the helix, if I’m only using it for effects the fx8 comes out as a better option.

16. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

IDK how they compare, Ive never used the eventide. Its pretty programmable and you can do some cool things like link parameters to the expression pedal or input sensitivity. It also has tap tempo. You can also layer delays with the GT-100, there is the dedicated Delay block, but then also FX1 and FX2 can be set to delay pedals so you can have three delays. I dont know what tricks the eventide has but I'm sure its snazzy.

17. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Isn't that the M9?

JiveTurkey likes this.
  18. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

The FX8 is a fine option, but has half the processing power of the Helix...

i8guitar and KeLynne like this.
  19. mojah

mojah Member

We could if l6 wanted to make one. If zoom can make a decent sounding modeller for 199 with and expression pedal and improved modeling L6 could make one at 500.

stratcat1980 likes this.
  20. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Can you conceive of an effects-only scenario where you wouldn't be able to get everything you need on a single path in Helix?