So, Yeah, I Could Have Gotten a Nice Amp/Guitar for What I Just Paid for New Glasses ...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Holzar88, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

My eyes have never been good. And now it's time to transition to whatever it is they call bifocals. Progressive lenses, I think. (I'll resist the urge for a political joke.) So, the hit: $1,136 for new specs. Even with eye insurance, it was still $806 out of pocket. Man, what a racket. I value seeing quite a lot, so I'm willing to pay. But ... sheesh, it's a lot of money for glasses.

grill and Astronaut FX like this.
  2. All_Thumbs

All_Thumbs Member

I feel your pain. I go to Lenscrafters, and the last few times it has cost me right around $1,000 out the door. I get the 3-area progressive lenses.

I have always had good experiences with the glasses I get from them, so I guess it is worth it. But yeah, it's expensive.

3. stratjim

stratjim Member

i've found that buying glasses online is a much cheaper alternative. i use eyebuy direct and last month i got new glasses with progressive lenses shipped to my door for $61 including shipping. i've had 2 pair from eyebuy and have been very pleased. there are several online eye wear companies/

4. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Why don't you ditch your glasses entirely. Then your old guitar will look just like a new guitar and you don't have to spend a cent on either glasses or a new guitar.

5. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I don't see your point, lol. Yeah it's a racket and one that knows they got you by the balls.

kristian likes this.
  6. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

There was an interesting story on "60 Minutes" a few years ago about the eyeglasses business. It really is a racket, or maybe monopoly is a better word. A number of different national chains (like LensCrafters), as well as the makers of many different brands of frames, and at least one vision insurance plan, are all owned by one Swiss company, Luxottica.

There are some independent online eyeglass companies, like Warby-Parker, that are a lot cheaper.

7. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

Are they gold frames or some kind of designer glasses? I don't understand the cost I paid $240.00 for bifocals progressive lenses.
    And I thought that was ridiculous.

8. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle Silver Supporting Member

9. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Wow I am surprised at that price. Good lawd. My wife gets new glasses every couple of years. Usually about 300 for 2 pair but she doesn't need progressive lenses. The first time we checked out and just buy the cheapest thing possible without the anti glare without tenting without any extra features. The second time we got the extra glare and we got her a specialized pair of prescription sunglasses with anti-glare lenses as well. They were way more expensive but honestly worth it they are so much nicer for her.

10. Blue410

Blue410 Silver Supporting Member

Chicks will look much better as well. Especially the 4-5 20-somethings that TGP members insist are willing to sleep with them every afternoon after work before they head home to "the little woman".

MrAstro likes this.
  11. FFTT

FFTT Member

Feel the same about my real estate taxes.
    Could buy a Magnatone Twilighter for what I just sent to the state for 1/2 year.

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

Works wonders with the little lady, too.

13. m@2

m@2 Member

I've been wearing wary parker for the past 3 years... $129 and I have a quite strong prescription

14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I paid 300 ish for progressives last week.
    You oughta shop around. Costco is supposed to be cheap and good.

derekd likes this.
  15. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Now that you can see that, it is a little late.

16. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I've bought my last five pairs at Costco: progressive bifocals with transition lenses and anti-glare coating. The price for my last pair with nice frames was about $220. They have the latest progressive lenses with the wider focus for the reading section. Great glasses.

Pizza, ACfixer and Tommy Biggs like this.
  17. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Wow... I don't have a crazy script but ray ban frames and cryzal treatment... $300 otd was nutty to me. Gah I hope you see for miles!

18. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

wow, i knew things were expensive in Colorado but...wow. i've never paid more than 130 bucks but i have good insurance. a bit off topic but *whine* i finally have cataract surgery coming up. i think i'll fork over more than i've paid for glasses my entire life.

19. kkregsg

kkregsg Member

Colorado? Maybe this is the old "buying glasses after coming from the marijuana shop" ploy where they grossly overcharge because they think you're impaired? I hate it when that happens.

Another vote for Costco Optical here.

20. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I don't mean to make light of your sight impairment, but that your avatar is the Vision really adds something to the thread.

EricPeterson, Holzar88 and harry65 like this.