So...you think your 650hp Z06 is fast?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 67blackcherry, Mar 3, 2015.

1. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Excellent footage here...what happens when a 650hp Z06 meets a McLaren P1 at Circuit of the Americas...

Gotta give the 'vette driver his due, he's got serious skills (plus the P1 driver is a bit of a hack) and apparently that's a stock camera feature on the 'vette - LOVE IT!

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

A Mclearen P1 also costs more than 10x what a Z06 costs.

3. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I think that video shows the greatness of the ZO6. Dump another $100k into the Vette and I bet you could narrow the performance gap substantially and still be nowhere near the price of the P1.

4. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Dear lord that guy breaks early (except for that one time he didn't).

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I think the Vette is going to suffer from traction issues, in the recent car and driver they pitted it against the 911 Turbo and the GTR, the vette has both beat in power to weight ratio, it simply fell a little short of the 911 because it simply can't connect the power to the ground with just the rear wheels. Surprisingly it can take more Gs in the corner than either.

For what it is, and at its price point, the Vette is absolutely amazing. If Chevy wants to take it to the next level, they will need to go mid engine and AWD, they have been saying they will for years, I think it is over due.

6. hogy

hogy Member

Cool video.

Here's another exciting "US vs. Euro car" video:

7. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

Wow, almost needed to double-take to see if that was real or a new video game :eek:

Seems the P1 driver was testing the waters for a lap (excessive brake application, a couple of creative corner trajectories), but at about the 3.00 min mark the P1 driver finally clicks and really tears away... that thing is scary fast up the straights.

Hats off to the 'Vette driver though - i'd be very happy to throw a Z06 around a track... and i'd be even more chuffed knowing I had the skills to question a car that cost 10x more.

8. 67blackcherry

I drove my friend's C7 Z06 (505hp) and that think was/is scary fast...they (Chevy) keep getting better but as some mentioned, it will probably always have trouble getting the power to the ground.

But like the old saying goes, it's not the car it's the driver. I'm sure (insert any F1 driver) would kick my ass in that Z06 if I was driving the P1.

9. standard24

standard24 Member

I wonder how many people who purchase these cars, actually have the skills to drive them? Everybody's an expert, but the Mclaren driver did manage to run that circuit without crashing... I'll bet there's tons of "armchair drivers" that would have trashed that car. The Vette too.

10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

lol, I would still be doing burnouts in the Vette when the P1 lapped me. ;)

11. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Pretty sure that's a C6.

And yeah the C7 Z06 is around $80K, what does that Mac cost?

12. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

The traction control on Corvettes will bail you out of alot of tricky situations. Even the C5Z06 I had could help a beginner learn without too much interference.

13. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

I had one of those, fast car. Yeah, it would swap ends in a hurry.

14. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

This was absolutely gripping ... I never seen any driving footage that displayed the shear speed & agility so well ... what driving, edge of my seat!!!

BIG Thanks Randall

15. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

That is great video.

16. hogy

hogy Member

I find it amazing to see how absolutely razor precise that Porsche handles. The BMWs they pass look like river barges by comparison.

17. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I've always compared 70k cars with 700k ones.

Seriously, the Vette is, and always will be, a great car for the money, and in most categories, a great car. The fringe supercar toys are just that. They get purchased, driven a few times, then sold when you realize can't bring home a single item bigger than a bottle of wine in one. Not that these cars are supposed to be family haulers, but at least in in Corvette you can go away for a weekend with the S/O and have a few bags. Porsche too, but most other, meh.

18. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

Great video. I've never had my Corvette on a track, but I have let it loose on a runway. Straight and fast is enough of a thrill for me.

19. 67blackcherry

Yes, you're correct, it's a C6 and the Z06 has always been a big bang for the bucks performer.

20. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I live about 3 miles from a Lambo/Aston/McLaren/Lotus dealership here in Atlanta. I routinely stop by just to look around. It's like a candy store. The real fun is in the back where the older cars come to get serviced.
    Comparing these cars is absolutely ridiculous. The McLaren is a hand made super car, the 650 is a step up from the "low level" ones.