So you tried the powerhouse uberdelays (Timeline/Nemesis/Eventide) and it didn't work out for you...

elicious

Silver Supporting Member
...what did you replace it/them with?

I've been knob-fiddling all year and I give up...I guess I'm a more traditional stompbox guy.

I've been see-sawing between the DMM, ML2, and other analog delays as alternatives. I like modulation added to repeats. Each time I finally dial in a delay engine sound that I can sit for hours and play arpeggios to, I go back and it just doesn't work in the greater scheme of my board/sound. I dial the mix/wet back and then I don't like what I'm hearing anymore. My hat's off to all those that mastered how to dig deep into their Nemesis, Timeline, H9, etc, but I have to admit I'm just not one of those people lol.

If you were in the same boat, what did you end up with in the delay spot of your pedalboard?

nrandall85

Silver Supporting Member
None of the super-computer delays could get near my Maxon Ad999. So much so that I was running two for a while, but now I only rock one.

It's a 3-trick pony. Great slapback, great dubby repeats, and excellently dirty long repeats. Very easy to dial in, and the only analog delay I've ever used that nailed the mix knob. It's perfect for me. And it works well in my simple rig into a dirty fender amp- no loops or anything.

Fat Dad

Silver Supporting Member
Memory Lane Jr. I thought the Nemesis would be better. It wasn't. MLJr just sits in the mix right.

joealba

Silver Supporting Member
I tried the H9 and didn't like what it did to my tone. I could have figured out how to work around it, but I sent it back.

Then I bought the Timeline (last New Years Eve -- a beverage-inspired purchase) and I absolutely loved it.

I had two dozen awesome presets, but I spent most of my time on the tape setting presets. So I turned around my Timeline and blueSky for an El Cap. And the El Cap will stay on the main board for good doing both delay and reverb for me. It does exactly what I want and keeps my core tone pure.

And with the addition of the Deco last week, my board is locked for a good long while. At least until NAMM...

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
endangered audio research AD4096

best delay i've ever played... so i bought two.

& free the tone FLIGHT TIME

pickleweed

have a nemesis. realized i kinda hate the phone interface (i hate having to hook it up everytime i want to make a change), and stay on tape 95 percent of the time anyways. i learned i just dont like big pedals with ultra options. so im looking to move on to something more tape specific. will probably land on an el cap, or a belle... and maybe the cbread echorec for good measure...cause i obviously have a pedal problem

I was in the same boat and realized I'd rather have 3 pedals that do 3 fantastic sounds total vs. 1 pedal that does 20 mediocre sounds. I have a DMM for non-tap delay and a DIG for the tap digital. An Echosex may be in order to get that great tape warble sound.

raj007

Matthews Effects is about to release a new delay with some modulation options. Pretty simple layout and top jacks.

elicious

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys! Sounds like I'll probably have to give the El Cap a whirl... ;)

mici

I had TC Flashback X4 for almost half year and occasionally messed a few days with Timeline delay. Great units, but too much features and tweaking. And I could never get "that" delay tone I wanted.

I sold TC and now have two delays:

1) MXR CC for lead-background delay (I can't find words to describe how great it sits in the mix)
2) Vintage Boss DD-3 from 1988 (long chip version) for messing around with longer delays.

Never been happier with those two!

Scott_F

...what did you replace it/them with?

I've been knob-fiddling all year and I give up...I guess I'm a more traditional stompbox guy.

I've been see-sawing between the DMM, ML2, and other analog delays as alternatives. I like modulation added to repeats. Each time I finally dial in a delay engine sound that I can sit for hours and play arpeggios to, I go back and it just doesn't work in the greater scheme of my board/sound. I dial the mix/wet back and then I don't like what I'm hearing anymore. My hat's off to all those that mastered how to dig deep into their Nemesis, Timeline, H9, etc, but I have to admit I'm just not one of those people lol.

If you were in the same boat, what did you end up with in the delay spot of your pedalboard?
When I grabbed my first tape Echoplex box, it was game over for the pedals. I sold the Nemesis. Added the Boonar recently.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
The Nemesis is killer because it can be run so simply without bothering with the phone interface. I sold my El Capistan for it, and I'm happy with the change.

I also have a Memory Lane Jr, which is absolutely fantastic. If I wanted to simplify, I'd be plenty happy staying with the Memory Lane Jr.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom