So you've got Fenders and Gibsons....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesjuke, Mar 14, 2008.

1. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I'm curious about if others are in the same situation I find myself in most of the time.

I have both Fenders and Gibsons, Tele/Strat/LP/335 type guitars.
    I love them all and would never be without at least one of each type.

The thing is that even though I play all of them and each is near and dear to me when I play out or jam 90% of the time I end up playing a Fender.
    I think it's mainly because they seem to more easily blend with whomever I happen to be playing with.
    Now of course some situations/mix of people make a Gibson the better tool.

This is not a concious decision just how I usually end up.
    I know for sure that I like both makes equally.

How many here have noticed that is their experience also?

2. sqadan

sqadan Member

I love both... but I tend to agree that I find my Strat more appropriate for most situations... It's a very versatile guitar and i can squeeze a lot of sounds out of it.

3. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

That's how I've tried to fashion my herd. Different P/U's, body styles, etc. I recommend it.

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Guitars aren't versatile - players are!

You end up playing the one that feels best in your hands on any given day.

5. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I must beg to differ - to an extent.

I usually take 3 -4 guitars to every gig (usually 4) and generally make sure I cover both Fender and Gibson sounds, i.e. single coil and humbuckers. This usually means both Gibsons and Fenders, though I have Gibsons that are fendery (SG-3, S-1) and Fenders that are gibsony (Tele Deluxe).

I seem find myself starting the night on Fenders and moving to Gibsons as the night progresses. Part of that is the set lists in my band tend to progress from blues and softer tunes with clean rhythm sounds to heavier rock as the night progresses. Most of the places we play are combo bar/restaurants that prefer us to take it a little easier early on while their clientele is still eating dinner.

I have particular comfort in starting the night on one of my Tele's - it is easy for me to get a good sound right away at a controlled volume on a Tele. If I'm playing one of my tube amps (Marshall or Fender), I struggle to get the sound I want out of a Gibson without getting the power tubes going. As a note, both bands I'm in now, I'm the only guitarist, so I have plenty of space for my sound and don't struggle to cut through the mix as much as I have in a multi-guitarist situation.

In re-reading your post, maybe you are one of those rare and treasured guitarists who is careful to control his volume in a group setting and can get a better sound at a controlled volume on a Fender? (god bless you) Or if you commonly play with multiple guitarists, can the highs and brightness of a Fender help you cut through the mix and get heard above a wall of rhythm guitar?

All in all, a thought provoking question.

6. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

bluesjuke, You mention in your post that "I think it's mainly because they seem to more easily blend with whomever I happen to be playing with---"
    What guitar of yours would make you stand out in the mix and NOT blend?
    Just a thought ~

7. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I should have said 'fits' in better instead of "blends".

Maybe it's the clarity of the single coils for though I love the sound of my Gibsons they don't sound appropriate to my ears when I play out.

Funny thing is that when I play with keys involved I then prefer the Gibsons.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that's interesting, as i remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons ritchie blackmore went to a strat is that the single coils cut through the wall of keyboards better while the gibsons got lost.

i use a tele and a paul with my pop/rock/80s cover band, and for me, the song dictates which guitar i play, regardless of the hour or my mood.

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

some reason i keep gravitating to my Guild Starfire II. something nice and garagey about it that is very comfortable.

10. eru

eru Member

Depends on your definition of blending vs. standing out. If standing out makes you sound out of place, it's a bad thing. If blending makes you disappear, it's a bad thing. Blending well enough to fit while standing out is what you want.

I have a Strat and an SG and more than 95% of the time, I grab the strat. Recently, it's been because the SG is in pieces awaiting screws to mount my new (used) pickups, but even when it was working the strat was what I grabbed....I guess i'm just one of those...

11. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I previously was a Les Paul only guy.. owned a strat, didn't see much play time. Now, Since I've gotten my 62 custom shop heavy relic strat:))) .. I'm down to one les paul and she is gently resting in her case.. Almost needed a fret job anyway.... The new Strat is the best guitar I've ever played.

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

yeah, I also prefer Fender and Fender "style" guitars to their cutaway counterparts!... for the most part.

13. Grenville

Grenville Member

Funny he said that... his Strat and Jon Lord's Hammond had such similar tonalities, like hand in glove in many ways.

14. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I have two Telecasters, both of which get gigged with. But neither one gets gigged with anywhere near as much as my 1960 Gibson ES-330.

I have forty or fifty guitars. I do not have a Stratocaster, ES-335, or Les Paul. I don't even have an SG.

15. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Bluesjuke:

I'm in exactly your position. Playing strat, tele, ES-335, ES-330, plus others. The reliance on Fender is longstanding for me. It has more to do with playability than tone, though tone is part of it. Bottom line for me: my old strat is the best playing guitar I've yet come across. It also happens to work tonally with most live stuff I'd play. The 335 is a strong contender in terms of playability and versatility, but it's hard to overcome a 30-year strat reliance. I'm working on it.

16. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I'll always have a Strat at a gig. BUT I take various Gibsons as well. Bottom line is I change guitars to fit the song.

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I use the tool for the situation,for the most part they have their sonic signatures,that all are different(otherwise I wouldn't have them)I use each one,according to the application,while recording a song.I lean on certain stuff though habit of use,but it is not uncommon for me to change on a whim.