Soapbar P-100 pups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fuzzface71, Mar 11, 2008.

1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I've read a few reviews and some people think that these pups
    suck. I still haven't gotten my LP Special that I bought on Ebay (hopefully I'll get it today) for me to judge.

I guess for some people who reviewed them, thinks they don't sound good because they are probably comparing them to PAF humbuckers or something?

Here's the guitar that I bought:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. jgyn

jgyn Member

I like mine fine- I have them on a mid 90s Les Paul Special. They have a better clean sound than the P90s, IMO.

3. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

How are they with pedals?

4. jgyn

jgyn Member

Sounds fine.

I also have a P90 SG Classic. The P90s, are a little honkier and aggressive sounding, the P100s cleaner.

5. Griz

Griz Member

+1 on P100's being under-appreciated. They are certainly different sounding than P90's, but it's a good sound.

6. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I guess that they are quieter too?

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

Quieter, but not as quiet as the traditional humbucking pickups.

8. Tinman

Tinman Member

Count me as one of the P100 underappreciators. I had a guitar just like the one pictured. It came with the P100s. I think they are some of the most sterile sounding, character-lacking pickups on the planet. I'm not comparing them to PAFs, I'm comparing them to a good set of P90s. Yes, P90s are a lot noisier, but they have a ton of character. It you have to have hum-canceling pickups in that guitar, put some of those TV Jones soapbar mounts in there. Any of the TV Jones models will sound much better that P100s. Just my opinion, of course, but I feel strongly about this one.

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

It's the neutral, i.e., 'lack of character' sound that I find intriguing.

10. Tinman

Tinman Member

That is quotable.

11. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

12. jgyn

jgyn Member

Interesting, although I find the P100s less hot than the P90s. I find the output about the same as the mini humbuckers in my Les Paul Deluxe, which have considerably less (about 20%) less output than a normal humbuckers overall, and less output than a P90.

13. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

[​IMG]

I guess Bob's Special came with P-90's?

14. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I think P-100s are one of the most under appreciated pups ever. If you use any decent amount of gain at all, for me P-90s drive me freaking bonkers. They are NOISY little buggers. I got a Gibson P-100 to replace the P-90 in my Les Paul Jr. Now the guitar sounds AMAZING. The NOISE is gone. The sound is better now.

All I can say is if you're a guitarist who uses any amount of gain at all, and you have a soapbar guitar, then get some P-100s. They ROCK.

15. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

+1.

16. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Charlie Baty (Little Charlie and the Nightcats) uses P-100s in his ES-295, and they sound just fine!

17. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I have had & slill have a LP with P100's & have always disconnected 1 wire from the bottom coil. This does retain a small amout of the hum cancelling properties, but they're still quite noisy...but hey are tone monsters! The output is also huge, but that wasn't my intent. I simply wanted that raw, snarling tone & I got it....in spades!
    The stock P100's just leave me flat...toopolite, no personality. I can deal with the noise!
    Tony

18. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I like P-100's, but i find they do lose some of the P-90 character. I'm a P-90 man, and have embraced the noise and hum, so that doesn't really bother me.My main guitar is an SG classic with a 73' gibson P-90 that sounds killer, i have a faded double cut as a spare which i do believe has P-100s and i have played other guitars with P-100s and they sounded fine to me.

19. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Who designed the P-100? Some name pickup guy, but I can't remember who.

20. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Nesta Bob Marley passed away in '81, long before P-100's were made. I'm with Tinman - I think the P-100's are characterized by a lack of distinction (GRIN) - they lack character, and don't sound like P-90's, IMHO.

I have two '50's LP Juniors and two '50's LP Specials, so I have a good basis for comparison. There probably are useable sounds out of Special w/ P-100's, but I'm not a fan of 'em.

EDIT: I shlould explain - P-90's have these wonderful, toothy highs that I love. The P-100's, to my ears, lack those highs in the same way that stacked humbuckers in a Tele lack highs. They'd be fine for a guy like Little Charlie Baty, if that's the sound you're going for. Charlie is a super guitarist (and harp player too) and he'd sound great through any guitar/ pickup combination - others may not fare quite so well with P-100's as Charlie does w/ his ES-295.

Dana O.