Soapbar P90 install questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by infiniteposse, Jun 30, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Hi all-

I've been working on a project guitar and it turns out my hopes of using a Dog-ear P90 aren't going to work out because of the string height/neck angle, so I need to go with a pickup that can be closer to the pickguard.

I've got a soapbar here I can use. I'm confused about a couple of things with it though...

1) I bought it used and it didn't come with any hardware/screws, so I'm a little iffy on how to install it.

I checked out my LP Special downstairs and it's got small bolts in the bottom of the cavity for the long screws to mount to, but this guitars never had a P90, so those aren't there.

I went to my local hardware store with the screws to look for alternate options and the screws for the LP's P90's and evidently the one I have are smaller than they're smallest screws - wood and otherwise...

Is there a specific place to get these screws?

2) The cover wants to just fall off the pickup. Is this normal with a P90 or is there something that should be keeping it mounted securely to the pup.

3) Assuming I can find the right screws, is installing into the body the best way to go?

Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

allparts or your local music store (that has an actual guitar repair person) will have the long, skinny wood screws. some foam rubber under the pickup will hold it pressed up against the inside of the cover, allowing you to adjust the height with those screws.

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The scres will go through the 2 holes in the civer(they correspond with holes in the pickup) and mount directly to the body BUT you should use a cushion between the bottom of the pickup and the wood. Get a spnge sanding bock and cut it if you don`t have a piece of spongy material. The screws are tough to find. Maybe ask one of the many pickup makers on TGP if they have a few for sale. I`m sure if you howl at one of them, he will help you out.

4. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

You can get the screws you need at stewmac.com
    Good luck,
    Rob