SOB (Snake Oil) string users-which type strings are you using on a particular guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SoCalSteve, Jan 9, 2008.

1. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I'm wondering if people use different types depending on the guitar.

Nickel or Rock on your LP, Strat or Tele?

2. devinb

devinb Member

I'm using the nickel on my Legacy...also using SOBs on my acoustic. I really really love them on my acoustic, don't play the Legacy enough to really have a great feel for them yet.

3. surfshack

surfshack Member

all vintage nickel 10-46 on all my guitars , 'cept i use 11-50 on my LP special.
    great strings!

4. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

I've been using the SOB Vintage "nickel" strings on my past 335, LP's and PRSi. I've been using the Vintage Formulas for about 5 years now. I found the Rock formulas a great string, but too bright sounding for my ears; that said, keep in mind that it's been 5 years of nothing but the vintage formulas... so I'm really used to the sound of these.

I have not yet re-strung my either of my Fender Vintage HotRod strats yet, but I hear the Vintage formulas sound INCREDIBLE on strats, so I anticipate nothing but good results.

5. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

For the past year and a half: vintage nickle 10s on my '58 LPRI and vintage nickle 9.5 on my Grosh RC. For me, the feel and tone are great!

With tone and oneness, Mike

6. kayaker

kayaker Member

I'd like to try SOB strings on my LP clone. I have Gibson Vintage Nickels on it now but I'm not happy with the big increase volume going from the wound to unwound strings (harsher, too.... I really have to back off the tone knob to lessen the effect). Are the SOB Vintage Nickels any different in that regard? ... or is this normal?

I suppose some of the issue is due to the fact that the buckers in this clone (Samick made) seem really HOT.

7. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

are these sold in stores or online only?

8. madscientist

madscientist Member

vintage nickel on my strat..10-46

9. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

Vintage Lt Jazz, 12-54's on all strats & teles, for the last couple years; really like them too. I tried going down to 11's but didn't stay there long.

10. shadco

shadco Member

Rocks on my Thorn (HB)
    Vintage on my TAG Classic and Thorn Junior 90

until I run out.

I don't know if I can stand going through another order process

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

I use SOB 10-46 Nickel "Slitheries" on all my guitars mainly because I prefer a softer feel on my Gibson scale length guitars.

Best, Pete.

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Nickel 10's on the Gibsons, nickel 9.5's and nickel '150's - that's .038-.010 - on the Fenders and PRS.

One day I'm gonna try the rock set, but I haven't yet. I love the nickel SOB strings.

Dana O.

13. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

As I understand it, those Gibson strings were an attempt to cut off SOB at the knees and take THAT mkt. IMHO, they failed miserably. I've had those Gibson strings on my past lesters and they were terrible. Inconsistent, thuddy and imbalanced. What you will find with the SOB strings is, they are extremely well-balanced from string to string across the fretboard. Strum a chord for example, and they all work together, and don't crowd out one another tonally speaking, or in volume. Also, while I find them very clear-speaking, they are not harsh whatsoever.

14. Radax

Radax Member

9s, Vintage Nickel on my '94 CU24 player, 9.5s PRS Strings on my '98 CU22 player.

Mike

15. Brick

Brick Member

Vintage nickel 10-46 on my Esquire.

16. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

Based on all the positive reviews I tried Snake Oil strings. I went with the Rock 11-50 on my PRS CU22, and the G string was wrapped about an inch up from the ball end, while the other plain strings only had about a half inch of wrapping. This meant the wrapped part of the G was extending over the saddle and into where the string would actually be vibrating. Luckily I also bought Vintage 11-50 for my tele, and was able to trade out G strings since the vintage ones were made correctly. The tele, being string through body, had enough length behind the saddle to compensate for the extended wrapping.

Having gone from $4.50 a set Ernie Ball strings to over $8 a set Snake oils, aside from this QC error, I didn't notice much tonal improvement, certainly not enough to warrant paying almost twice as much.

17. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

Let's see... I have put the vintage all nickel 10-46 strings on my:

a) old Strat - sounds great!
    b) old Les Paul copy - sounds great!
    c) Epiphone Dot - sounds great!
    d) Telecaster - sounds great!
    e) R9 Lester - sounds great!

Another set will be going on my new Strat this weekend, and y'know.... I'll bet they'll sound great! Just about 3 years now, no change in sight.

18. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Interesting. I, too have only used the Orig. Nickels. They sound so good I'm afraid the Rock set might be too bright. I find the nickels remove alot of extra string noise and that metallic noise from some guitars.

19. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

11-50 vintage on everything. Keep it simple sort of thing.
    McCarty, McCarty HB2
    Except 10-48 on the Thorn Jr90...But the nut slots are cut for the 11-50s.

Everything sounds the way I want it to.

20. FastFret

FastFret Member

Original Nickels, sound better than anything else I've tried on my strats

46-9.5 hybrids
    44-9.5 hybrids
    42-9