SOB strings revisited

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ken Swanson, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

Just recieved some of the SOB vintage nickel strings, and I gotta say the hype, IMHO, is all true!!! What a great set of strings! They feel absolutely great, have a really nice snappy sound to them, and just seem to have a real nice balanced tone all the way through. Tuning them seemed easier, as the tone just seemed truer. (Is that a real word, Truer?;) ) Anyway, I know this subject has been beaten to death,:horse but they really are a quality product, and if they last as long as they should, are really a good investment. Dean really has got it right. I also recieved them promtly, using the buy it now on his website. KUDO's to snake oil strings.:D

2. Python

Python Member

I have to agree. About a month ago, I bit the bullet and bought 4 sets of Snake Oil Strings. They are absolutely wonderful. I kept teasing Dean about my new expensive strings but they are worth every penny.

I've played a lot of different brands of strings over the years and the Snake Oil Strings are significantly better that anything I've used in the past.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to get a set of Dean's Real Phosphor
    Bronze acoustic strings. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

And to top it off, Dean is a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

Jim

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

They last forever and still sound great. That's the clincher for me.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Been using them for 2 years; they are by far the best strings for me on the planet.

Keep on rocking my string world Dean! He is a good guy to boot.

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Yup. I will only buy Dean's strings now. I have used them on all of my guitars (acoustic and electric). He is a true modern day alchemist. They sound so huge! Way to go Dean-o!

6. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

He certainly made me a convert:)

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I assume you mean SOS, not SOB... or is there a new "flavor of the day", LOL. (I really like the SOS sets I've used so far).

jc

8. cheesey

cheesey Member

snake oil brand , i just ordered 3 more sets of vintage nickel wound 11-52's.
    i tried both vintage and rock formula , liked both but will stick with the vintage. dean rocks :dude

9. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I see that Dean has updated the website - just ordered 3 sets myself.

10. Bajan

Bajan Member

Yea, I couldn't stand it anymore and ordered 3 sets myself. I am going to give one to a good friend of mine to see if he likes them too. I have been a pretty loyal Ernie Ball user since I started playing guitar, I guess about 20 years now. If these are as good as everyone says, I may wind up using them for the next 20.

Shane

11. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

I just tried my first SOB Original Nickel set (L set, straight .010" gauge) on my Les Paul last night and I am impressed.

For Reference:
    On electrics, I most often use DR or D'Addario depending on the scale length and brightness of the guitar. In the past, I used Kendricks on my Strats. For a 25.5" scale length, I generally use a straight .010" gauge set and go a bit beefier on the shorter guitars.

Initial Impressions:
    Man, are the bass strings flexible! They seem to have required less time and stretching to stay in tune. But most prominently, they play like a lighter gauge.

The windings seem to be tighter. Because of this, finger-noise is reduced and wear might be decreased due to less grime being caught. The result is similar to but not as drastic as a "rollerwound" string.

The tone is definitely "pure nickel" with shimmering highs and snappy lows. In fact, this might be the best example of that tone I've encountered!

This set should have gone on my Suhr Standard (swamp ash body & maple board). I expect this match would result in resonant, bell-like tones and comfortable action. My Les Paul (Blacktop R7) would feel better to me with a heavier gauge (hybrid or possibly straight). Luckily, I also ordered the LH and ME sets.

Conclusion:
    Ordering from the SOB Strings web site was quick and easy. I will be trying the Acoustic and Rock Formula sets as well as stocking up on Original Nickel. I highly recommend everyone try them!

It is too early to tell which guitars will be strung with which set. However, it is clear that SOB Strings will be the standard for some, if not all, of my guitars!

Cheers,
    McE

12. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

cool
    I ordered the nickel 10-46 for my PRS,been playing EBs for everever and tried most everything else out there, but haven't tried anything new in the last 10 years or so...

hope I dig em

13. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Been using EB strings for over 30 years, but what the heck, I'll bite.

Question #1: How to contact SOB - I checked out the website and did not see an email link or a phone number. I had a question or two that was not addressed on the FAQ page?

Question #2: For those of you who use these strings - would you say the nickle sets are less bright than the others (modern?). I play a bright amp ("65 SR) and prefer rounder, warmer tone.

Question #3: Anyone try these strings with P-90's?

14. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

Answer #1: The strings are manufactured by TGP's own PinkStrat. You can find his e-mail address on this site. Futhermore, if you perform a search for "SOB Strings" on this forum, you'll find a whole lot of additional information.

Answer #2: In general, pure nickel strings are warmer than nickel-plated steel or pure stainless steel strings. Pure nickel strings also have a vintage character to them that other strings don't have.

15. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

16. vinni

vinni Member

For about 6 months I use the LH Rockformula strings.

Not bad...but it aint magic either.....

I use DR Titefits before the SOB's.
    Similar in sound. The SOB's surface is somewhat smoother.

But just like the DR's the SOB's wear out on me within a week.
    Maybe because of my acid hands.....don't know.

Someone who used DR's and SOB's recommended me to try
    Thomastik-Infeld strings. So I'm gonna give these a try.

Vinni