Social media sucks

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Goldfinger62, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Mindcore

Mindcore Member

My wife is a teacher. Social media has a very negtative impact on kids. We're adults, we couldn't give a ****, but kids take acceptance from thier peers very seriously. It's a massive boost and hit to thier self esteem.
    If we were bullied at school, we went back to the safety of our home. By next morning you had a chance to escape it for a while. Now the bullying continues when you get home, and when you try to go to bed, and when you wake up because kids can't look away from it.

I might actually retract my statement about adults above. Look around next time you're in a waiting room. 99% of people are staring at thier phones. Most looking at facebook and instagram.

An adult, at least most, don't define themselves by likes they get. Kids do. Back in school we had the popular kids, the losers, the stoners, the jocks. But they were isolated cliques. This is what we grew up amplifed by 100.

Kids spend more time interacting through thier phones online then they do in real life. They are losing empathy, they don't see the hurt in someones eyes if they say something mean.

My son is turning 6 next week. I see the way my wife's students are and frankly it scares the crap out of me. I won't let me son turn out that way.

Disclaimer.. some of the kids are great. It's not a blanket statement.

2. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

Hmm....same thing I used to do with my rotary dial phone.

shane8, Baxtercat and Old Possum like this.
  3. one4five

one4five Member

Social media doesn't suck, just most of the people on it. :p

Forums aren't social media. Completely different format.

Anacharsis likes this.
  4. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

Yeah, but most people on FB don't even know how to use a manual can opener, so...…..

5. Brad2

Brad2 Member

Yes, I know what you mean. There are also people on youtube who get nasty comments and are not aware that they can simply remove the comments or somehow can't figure out how to do it.

Scrapperz, Baxtercat and Old Possum like this.
  6. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

This is why the 'if you don't like social media don't use it argument, while works for the individual, does not work when it comes to the future of our society. Sad but true.

Scrapperz and Mindcore like this.
  7. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

In contrast... CB radios were a blast! I had a bad-a** Cobra base station, Palomar tube linear, and a Turner +2 microphone.

"Breaker! Breaker! This is the one Goldfinger commin at ya..." :beer

Scrapperz and Baxtercat like this.
  8. slybird

slybird Member

Social media showed me this today:

9. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

omg, yr right, almost forgot.
    :roll

Great clip!

slybird likes this.
  10. Buck Murdock

Buck Murdock Member

makes you wonder if that will ever come back, in a retro kinda way.:eek:

You know, like the people who swear that vinyl sounds better than mp3.

Scrapperz and A-Bone like this.
  11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I only joined it in order to be able to have a band Facebook page. A lot of us musicians found out pretty quickly that venue owners (bars, pubs, festivals) most always expected and preferred Facebook. We had actually made what I consider a MUCH better web page, with song lists, links to videos, band info, etc. but seems it is too much work to even just type in the web page.

since I was on it, got friends asking to be “friends” and it snowballs. I don’t post or read much. Mainly seems to be birthdays up the wazoo. Either someone else’s where you feel obligated to wish happy bday, I even left out my bd (or maybe made it different from my real one, can’t remember now) but some friend will know it is my bd and wish me a happy one, then all others so you need to like them all, then thank all for the bd wishes.
    I don’t get it. At my age a bd is kinda silly, and it’s not like real emotions or thoughts.

Our kids, with small children of their own, find out that it is practically impossible to stay out of FB because schools are always using it for info and activities. You can opt out, but definitely will cause problems for the others, and miss out in info you need.

Im learning to fly. My flight school has a web page, but in reality even though the info is supposed to be on their web page, often it isn’t, or takes more time before it shows up, etc. but they seem to gravitate to the clubs FB page. It’s insidious.

As to harassment, there too. I know someone who’s Ex is out to get her, or was. If she wasn’t on FB, he was, and he knew who her friends were so would both send out ugly, inappropriate things to her friends, threaten them, or try also stealth, creating a fake account, EVEN managed to create an account in HER name and pretend he was her. I don’t get this as I thought FB required more verification, but it definitely happened.

She was on FB, but none of the things he did would have been any different if she wasn’t except that he could see any “new friends”.

FB is not a good interface. It also is not intuitive what some settings ACTUALLY do. I’d love to do without, but currently need it for a vert few things.

Scrapperz and Yer Blues like this.
  12. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I have not used it in 8 years and I see no reason to use it. The only one I maintain is my Linkedin which has been helpful for my career and making connections.

13. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

whaaaaaaa??? it sucks???? who knew?
    [​IMG]

14. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I'm torn.... I'm on facebook, but I don't use it much. If I post something it doesn't get many likes so why bother. The bands I play with can share gigs from the band pages. Facebook has gotten me gigs because people have reached out to me when they wouldn't have had another way to contact me. A lot of venues also prefer to book bands using facebook. It shows the band is active and playing places.

People tell me I should be more active on it, but even just clicking two buttons is too much effort. :)

Scrapperz and shane8 like this.
  15. RedneckDerek

RedneckDerek Member

LOL!! Classic

16. mycroftxxx

mycroftxxx Member

Noted SF writer Neal Stephenson seems to agree - his last two novels (excluding one that was not all his), Seveneves and Fall, have included pretty scathing critiques of social media. In an interview he did a few months ago, he expanded on the topic and was even more negative about it than in the novels. I'm certainly not convinced he's wrong.

17. gretschplayer

gretschplayer Member

They're all forums.

shane8 and Scrapperz like this.
  18. Brad2

Brad2 Member

Then I wonder how did he threaten her friends? Did he do that on Facebook? I mean if you don't accept someone as a friend it is impossible for that someone to send something.

19. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Funny you say that, as I’ve wondered why FB appears to have an algorithm that selects what shows on my newsfeed based on which if my friends I find the least interesting. Seriously.

20. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

In what way does that describe social media at all? I've never been on Facebook, but I do have Instagram and it's not discussion based in the slightest.