Software for jamming online

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by frank1985, Mar 2, 2015.

1. frank1985

frank1985 Member

Yes that's right, I have no friends - no musician ones anyway. What is the best and most reliable free software for online jamming? I need to be able to hook my guitar up direct, rather than mic up an amp.

2. wbm68

wbm68 Member

Sorry to hear that you have no friends - no musicians anyways. Where are you located?

To answer your question, google online music collaboration
    There are several software packages like Ohm or Kompoz but also many online "jam" tools.
    Keep in mind that any online jam is only as good as the slowest connection of anyone participating. This makes is generally quite challenging to get something useful going.

Online music creation tools are great though as they are more collaborative composing / recording packages. No live playing together, but recording tracks separately.

3. jayjerry

jayjerry Member

4. s2y

s2y Member

I would also like to hear more about online jamming. I can't for the life of me find anyone reliable on the local CL these days.

5. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

Has anyone actually tried this one? Our band is dealing with one guy moving way the hell out of town for work and being unwilling/unable to make the commute for weekly rehearsals. He offered this as an option, but I'm hesitant to buy any HW for something that may not work all that well even in the best case situation. Thoughts or input appreciated.

6. newking70

newking70 Member

7. NormH3

NormH3 Member

8. jayjerry

jayjerry Member

I have used it for jamming when it first came out. At the time you could use what ever hardware you wanted. I think it is still that way but they are about to offer their own audio interface that is supposed to be very low latency.

When I used it, it was mostly guitar players improvising leads to backing tracks. It works find for that. I tried to jam with a live drummer and bass player and with the latency we were experiencing we could not lock in with each other. If everyone lives close and you all have a good connection you may could pull it off.

9. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Wow this is cool. Never considered this at all

10. slowpuncher

slowpuncher Member

Hi All,

I can humbly offer a site that I built with a friend.

http://trackfight.net/

It is not real time jamming, but rather a way to collaborate and write songs in a very simple web based DAW. You can record directly into the interface or drag and drop files.

It is 100% free with no ads or spam. We are very slowly just trying to build up the community. The back story is that I lived in Germany for several years and when I moved back to the USA, we wanted to continue writing together, so we built this and then opened it up since other people might be interested.

Check it out if you are so inclined.

cheers,
    Slowpuncher

11. frank1985

frank1985 Member

Thanks for all your suggestions - I'll be trying these out

12. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

13. slybird

slybird Member

I'm in a band, but still I sometimes answer CL ads of people that are looking to 'just jam'. I collaborate with former bandmates that have moved to other cities using Dropbox. Reddit is another place I sometimes go for collaborations @ /r/musicinthemaking and /r/songaweek,