Software help needed.

Ok I am really stuck here. I am really confused on software.

I am a guitar player. At first I am looking to write songs, get ideas on to tracks. I want to flesh out songs, work on them and bring them to a completed stage. Right now I have a PC computer that will handle anything, and a Line 6 UX1 to use as an interface to get me started. What I am missing to get my feet wet is software.

I see myself using the computer/software to write parts, build on ideas and riffs, play over them, and mix them. I will probably put my own generated drum tracks to the songs, but I would like to be able to record drums at a later time when I get better with the program. I know I eventually will get a mic for vocals, and other there will be additions down the road, but to start out it is just going to be guitar tracks. I have been in a full recording studio a few times, and done some recording (just playing) with Cakewalk, and I have a good understanding of how to record, tracking and more of a linear thought process of recording.

I have been going over pages and pages on information, and I know some of the software that people suggest is because what they are using. Hopefully, I can get some insight to narrow down the field. I would most likely start with a light/cheaper version of the program for budget constraints, and then go for the full blown version in a few months.

I am looking at the following software programs, I have read great things about them all, just not sure where to go.
Albeton Live: One of my friends uses this. I like that you can write snippets and trigger them.
Cubase: Another friend uses this.
Sonar (staple for most people that I have read in posts)
ACID (heard good reviews)
FLStudio (heard good reviews)

I realize I can download and try for free the programs, but I am trying to cut the list down to trying one or two and not 6+.

Thank you for helping.

slayerbear17

Theres lots of threads on this topic.

Theres also Reaper which alot of people swear by. I myself use Cubase.

You can have the best, fastest computer in the world....but if it isnt configured for audio recording....specs dont mean anything.

Good Luck!

cookieshoes

I think that in many cases the audio interface will be a big part in helping select which audio software to go with. If you've already got one, then it should have come with some software. If you don't yet have one, a quick scan of the available usb and firewire boxes will let you know which versions of software are getting bundled with them these days. In my opinion, that's the place to start. First pick an interface that looks good to you, and let the software that comes with it be your starting point.

Trending Topics