software synths- how they sound?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gerry, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Gerry

Gerry Guest

interesting link...

http://www.hollowsun.com/

?How do software synths sound in general? Anyone use them live as well? TIA.

2. MickYoumans

MickYoumans Member

I have the Native Instruments software that mimics a Hammond B3, Yamaha DX7, and Pro-53 analog synth that I use with Cakewalk Sonar. They are pretty darn impressive to me. I think they are a great economical way to go. Plus I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be great to use live too.

3. EVT

EVT Member

cool link:
    check this one out.. cool photos...
    http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/pictures.htm

I have a moog rogue... and I love it... It sounds amazing.. and I the hands on knobs are a lot of fun...You connect with them sort of... It so warm... I use all hardware, but that's just my personal taste. I don't like using computers for recording, or synths etc... it just never worked for me, but I know it could be amazing with the right knowledge and with good enough computer, not like mine.

There are some companies I never new about that are making some really cool analog styled synths and modules...
    There's a lot of cool stuff at this place:
    http://bigcitymusic.com/dept.asp?cat=New
    I wish I had endless funds!
    :) evt

4. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I bought a late '50s Hammond B3 and Leslie a few years back, and I find that Native Instruments' B4 sounds awesome. Of course, nothing can duplicate the result of a Leslie cabinet actually throwing sound around a room, but the simulation is remarkable. I'd venture to guess that NI has duplicated the algorithms of the Prophet 5 and DX7 equally as well.

Too bad my keyboard playing is, umm, rather lacking.

5. fatang

fatang Member

The NI stuff is great, Project 5 and the Korg Legacy Collection are really nice the Artura and Virus as well. Depending on your system horsepower and the platform they're a great choice if you want lots of sounds and don't have physical space.

Robert

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I have NI B4, the Hammond emulator. It's better than any hardware synth at emulating a B3 IMO.

I know people who use software synths with a Powerbook rig live but it makes me nervous. I've never done it.

7. Will Little

Will Little Supporting Member

I saw a keyboard player with a vintage rhodes/B3 and laptop setup play only the laptop once.

Baffling.

8. C.B. Hebb

C.B. Hebb Member

I have the NI Pro-53, the B4, and Reason. They are all pretty great and amazing feature-wise. But I seem to use my new DSI Evolver everytime I want fat sounds. It certainly isn't a grab and go synth, but some of the presets sound good. The Evolver is a four oscillator synth, half analog and half digital. It just sounds much fuller to my ears. Even from the digital oscillators.

9. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

I have the NI B4, FM7, and Pro53. They all sound amazing altho the Pro53 doesn't get used as much. Some other good ones are Native Instruments Absynth, Steinberg D'Cota, and the Korg Legacy Collection. The synths that come with Reason are also excellent. I've come to rely on software synths quite a bit, even though I'm a guitar player.

10. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Here is the ones I use the most:
    Arturia's Moog Modular V
    NI B4
    NI FM7
    and MOTU's MACH 5 software Sampler.

In my opinion soft synths don't sound the same as some of the hardware synths they emulate, but they're just as good and have their own sound, a have a few nice analog synths, but I like the soft synths as much.
    E.B.