Sola sound MkIV “the Brazilian aka face peeler”

bamalam

I found myself hypnotized yesterday by this repeating refrain... next thing I knew there was an order confirmation in my inbox this morning. :D
How did you know which number you got?
Nice work congratulations!

I emailed them to find out. Apparently it’s first come first served, which makes complete sense

soli528

Silver Supporting Member
Nice work congratulations!

I emailed them to find out. Apparently it’s first come first served, which makes complete sense
Have you ordered from Macari's before? I don't know how they ship but I got an email that said they went out morning of 7/4. :aok

bamalam

Have you ordered from Macari's before? I don't know how they ship but I got an email that said they went out morning of 7/4. :aok
Mine was posted on Saturday, it arrived yesterday, I had a go yesterday and it sounds awesome (you’re in for a treat!), I’ve only just got round to posting pics here you go dudes:

And one with some of the family, before I’d even played through I took the photo:

I’m currently at my girlfriends and have to play fairly quiet but it sounds great with the tone knob on the bass side. I can’t wait to play through my Marshall head and my 2x12!

Last edited:

ScienceFriction

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome. That was really quick- are you in the States?
Macari's is super fast. They don't mess around. When I got my Tone Bender Distortion it was so fast they didn't even need to tell me it was on the way, it would have arrived I read an email! Haha.

ScienceFriction

Silver Supporting Member
How do these sound?
It's an old school late 70s IC distortion sort of box. I like it, but atm all I'm using is a '78 JC-120. So I don't want to describe what I'm hearing as I know it sounds different with a tube amp. It's very nice though, if you like late 70s distortion/OD pedals.

bamalam

It's an old school late 70s IC distortion sort of box. I like it, but atm all I'm using is a '78 JC-120. So I don't want to describe what I'm hearing as I know it sounds different with a tube amp. It's very nice though, if you like late 70s distortion/OD pedals.
Thanks. Not sure if it’s for me or not, I’m more into garage/acid fuzz and stoner rock now and again. They’re a decent price to be fair

soli528

Silver Supporting Member
Okay... #006 is in the house. sweet lord this thing rips.
I'm hearing liquid-y Ram's Head sounds at high gain settings, but more gated and throaty at the same time. It's something in the note attack, little grunts and barks that keep things from getting overly smoothed-out. Speaking of gated, it is dead quiet at idle, never played a pedal with this much gain that was this polite at rest.
Also, it has plenty of output and, of course, looks aces. Back to playing with this thing...

KoolThing

Supporting Member
Sorry for hijacking but I’m curious about these, too. Are they a worthy replacement for an IC muff or less gain than that?

ScienceFriction

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry for hijacking but I’m curious about these, too. Are they a worthy replacement for an IC muff or less gain than that?
I don't think it would be no, definitely less gain. It has more gain than an SD-1, but less gain than a EHX Green Big Muff reissue. It's more akin to a Distortion+, it's a bit fuzzy at max "fuzz", but again.. take into consideration my setup. A '65 Fender Duo Sonic II into a '78 JC-120. I find that most dirt pedals, regardless of type, seem to be fuzzier once I get into saturated gain levels.

bamalam

Okay... #006 is in the house. sweet lord this thing rips.
I'm hearing liquid-y Ram's Head sounds at high gain settings, but more gated and throaty at the same time. It's something in the note attack, little grunts and barks that keep things from getting overly smoothed-out. Speaking of gated, it is dead quiet at idle, never played a pedal with this much gain that was this polite at rest.
Also, it has plenty of output and, of course, looks aces. Back to playing with this thing...
Nice description. Agree about the pick attack it’s very heavy, compressed and saggy but still has some bite like a Tonebender should. It’s like a cross between a Muff and a Mk1. The gating is excellent, very quiet like you say. Reminds me of my D*A*M 1965. I can actually stack other fuzzes into this and it is dead quiet in between notes. The other day I had my 1965 running into it - what a sound!
Sod the playing...POST clips!!
You should buy one!

halcyon

Supporting Member
I snagged one of these on release day as well; should be arriving here in California tomorrow (pretty fast given shipping difficulties atm).

Then, jeez, my name came up for a MkI this morning (the Castledine), and of course I couldn’t let that go. It’s been a very $$$ month. :-\

bamalam

I snagged one of these on release day as well; should be arriving here in California tomorrow (pretty fast given shipping difficulties atm).

Then, jeez, my name came up for a MkI this morning (the Castledine), and of course I couldn’t let that go. It’s been a very $$$ month. :-\
Nice work! How long was the wait for the Mk1 if you don’t mind me asking?

halcyon

Supporting Member
Nice work! How long was the wait for the Mk1 if you don’t mind me asking?
A couple months, I think? This was specifically for the Castledine MkI. The other MkIs (Ghost, D*A*M, Pigdog) aren't presently listed on the site, so you can't even add yourself to the waitlist for those if you wanted to. I've been on the list for a couple of the MkIIs for over a year now. Who even knows if those will ever come up. Germanium transistors aren't getting *less* scarce as the years tick by.

I have a modest stash of old Mullards and various other germaniums myself, but I think I'm just gonna hold on to them and see what happens. I've been mainly using them for my own builds.

bamalam

A couple months, I think? This was specifically for the Castledine MkI. The other MkIs (Ghost, D*A*M, Pigdog) aren't presently listed on the site, so you can't even add yourself to the waitlist for those if you wanted to. I've been on the list for a couple of the MkIIs for over a year now. Who even knows if those will ever come up. Germanium transistors aren't getting *less* scarce as the years tick by.

I have a modest stash of old Mullards and various other germaniums myself, but I think I'm just gonna hold on to them and see what happens. I've been mainly using them for my own builds.
Thanks very much

Ant has only just put me on the list for the MKII Pro and the Brick Bender so a year or so is ok if it happens! Really keen to try the Brick Bender to be honest

A couple of months is alright. I might put my name down but £900 for a fuzz pedal is quite a lot. I’ve tried the Pigdog one my friend had and it was awesome. He sold it a couple of months ago! Stu Castledine is great you won’t be disappointed

You should hang onto those transistors dude. They will only go up in value

Trending Topics