Sola sound MkIV “the Brazilian aka face peeler”

bamalam

Because of coronavirus I’m usually at my girlfriends place using a Fender Blues Jr. I went back to my flat for the weekend - Just ran the face peeler into my JCM800 head at a reasonably loud volume and it is immense @MadFrank you should buy one

fishleehooker

Supporting Member
Mine came today. Just awesome. Its like got the sound of a MK IV, but the attitude and feel of a MK I. One of the caps is form a MK I. So its a bit smoother (kind of) than a MK II, BUT the decay is outrageous and really cool. Its almost like a super sweet, very usable MK I in a weird way. Most of the Mk I action seems to come as the note decays but its sounds so cool you just wanna hold those notes. I love the D*A*M thing! :)

bamalam

Mine came today. Just awesome. Its like got the sound of a MK IV, but the attitude and feel of a MK I. One of the caps is form a MK I. So its a bit smoother (kind of) than a MK II, BUT the decay is outrageous and really cool. Its almost like a super sweet, very usable MK I in a weird way. Most of the Mk I action seems to come as the note decays but its sounds so cool you just wanna hold those notes. I love the D*A*M thing! :)
I was playing mine into my JCM800 today using a Les Paul with high output bare knuckle pickups and 45 minutes went by it felt like 5

Yeah it’s like a Mk1 with loads of bass and treble. Big frequency range and heavy as you can imagine, but it still sizzles and gates. The sustain is crazy. I think it might be my favourite Tonebender so far, it just keeps on getting better.

Glad you like it!

fishleehooker

Supporting Member
juuuust curious...$800???
I'm not sure how it all works out. There is something called VAT that is applied and benefits a lot of countries in the exchange. So in America, I was charged 429 pounds, then VAT took it to 381. Right now that comes to like 479 bucks.

PhuzzphayzZ

I'm not sure how it all works out. There is something called VAT that is applied and benefits a lot of countries in the exchange. So in America, I was charged 429 pounds, then VAT took it to 381. Right now that comes to like 479 bucks.
well that's not the worst eva... I'd still be havin mirror time with my face over it, lol! But I see that kind of number for all kinds of things... I could see anyone in a fit of madness click on a box with that number... it's actually kind of a... nice-ish number...lol, I suppose...$399 seems ideal... once you hit that '4' number, schvincterz start a tightnin! '6' and it's all over. (BLOOPER!!!)

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
It's interesting how different folks describe stuff. Definitely a Big Muff flavor to this: the EQ is straight tilt, so you get that treble/no bass or bass/no treble at the extremes, in the middle it's got a good amount of mids unlike most Muffs. It is bright, generally, a tiny bit spitty and pretty high gain, and LOUD as heck if needed. Not a polite fuzz at all. It sounds surprisingly good into a clean amp-using the new Supro Galaxy I picked up and it almost sounds better into the clean channel than the drive one (it's gets thicker and lardier into distortion). And yeah, it's quiet, well built, colorful. The case is interesting-super thin tin with the paint coming off a bit under the screws. I'm assuming this follows what Sola Sound did as they tried to cut prices in the 70s?

Anyway, pretty darned cool! And mine is number 12.

bamalam

VAT = Value Added Tax, we pay 20% on “luxury” items here in the UK. It’s not generally seen as a progressive tax because it doesn’t just apply to face peeling fuzz pedals (certain food types, alcohol and tobacco too) but I won’t get into that. It gets deducted for overseas buyers.

fishleehooker

Supporting Member
VAT = Value Added Tax, we pay 20% on “luxury” items here in the UK. It’s not generally seen as a progressive tax because it doesn’t just apply to face peeling fuzz pedals (certain food types, alcohol and tobacco too) but I won’t get into that. It gets deducted for overseas buyers.
Oh that's right.....I know I liked seeing the price come down when I put it in the cart. Thanks for the info....it always seems mysterious as to why I am saving from it.

soli528

Silver Supporting Member
It's interesting how different folks describe stuff. Definitely a Big Muff flavor to this: the EQ is straight tilt, so you get that treble/no bass or bass/no treble at the extremes, in the middle it's got a good amount of mids unlike most Muffs. It is bright, generally, a tiny bit spitty and pretty high gain, and LOUD as heck if needed. Not a polite fuzz at all. It sounds surprisingly good into a clean amp-using the new Supro Galaxy I picked up and it almost sounds better into the clean channel than the drive one (it's gets thicker and lardier into distortion). And yeah, it's quiet, well built, colorful. The case is interesting-super thin tin with the paint coming off a bit under the screws. I'm assuming this follows what Sola Sound did as they tried to cut prices in the 70s?

Anyway, pretty darned cool! And mine is number 12.
That's pretty close to my impressions. The amount of mids especially is what was making me think ram's head. But I really like the grunt or zippery attack of all the notes, a lot less smooth than the RH muff.
Regarding the enclosures, I haven't seen any paint chipping but I thought it was interesting that the ad copy referred to painting the inside of the case as a value added extra. ;)
Edited to add: Look like drbob1 may have gotten the last one in the first run- I was told there may be more than 12, future runs maybe, but capped at 50.

soli528

Silver Supporting Member
Checking back in to say this pedal is insanely good, seems to somehow get better the more I play with it...(?). It sits better in a mix than any fuzz I've ever played. I had managed to sidestep the DAM hype all these years, but it's f'n for real.

Mcentee2

Macari's didn't have any of the Hybrids left, so I just got a Brazilian - which has been hanging around waiting to be played for a day or two...well..

I can now safely say the Brazilian is fantastic, yep, MkI elements to its sound spot on, but has the depth of tone and thickness of the MkIII/IV

TBH, I have had it on max fuzz all the time so don't know yet if the rest of the dial is worth bothering with!

Grippy, sizzling, decay crumble, sensitive to guitar volume and tone

Sustain but you can work it with your fingers.

The "gated" thing is most noticeable on your pick attack rather than on the decay, makes single note runs super tactile, like trying to get fly-paper off the fingers..

oooh, lovely....

YYZ

Supporting Member
Been sniffing around Tone Benders for a little while now but have never played one. Really liked what I’ve heard of the MKI but overwhelmed with builder choices. Went to “the source” and no MKI’s thankfully ($$$$) but saw this Braz and the MKII Pro Hybrid. Both videos sound good :dunno. I’m looking for smooth controllable harmonics with good definition. I have a muff style and it gets buried in the mix. Which would be the most usable of the two considering musicality and ability to be tamed? Also, fuzz seems such a personal thing, so which might flip the easiest for the least loss? I’m leaning Hybrid but don’t want to miss out on some Braz magic if it’s really that much more... :huh.

Edit: Then I think to myself, instead of paying the higher price for a hybrid design, why not buy a MKII from another company?:huh :huh

Last edited:

Mcentee2

Been sniffing around Tone Benders for a little while now but have never played one. Really liked what I’ve heard of the MKI but overwhelmed with builder choices. Went to “the source” and no MKI’s thankfully ($$$$) but saw this Braz and the MKII Pro Hybrid. Both videos sound good :dunno. I’m looking for smooth controllable harmonics with good definition. I have a muff style and it gets buried in the mix. Which would be the most usable of the two considering musicality and ability to be tamed? Also, fuzz seems such a personal thing, so which might flip the easiest for the least loss? I’m leaning Hybrid but don’t want to miss out on some Braz magic if it’s really that much more... :huh.

Edit: Then I think to myself, instead of paying the higher price for a hybrid design, why not buy a MKII from another company?:huh :huh

As above, last time I looked a week or so ago there were no Hybrids left in stock, only the waiting list.

As to your later points - you say yourself " fuzz seems such a personal thing" - price has no relevance as to whether it sounds good or not.

Going to another builder based on price is one thing, but won't tell you a darn thing about what each sounds like.

That's what this game is all about - in the last two or 3 years I must have "spent" c£12,000 on pedals, but I have also sold about £12,000 as well (well, maybe £11,000) :)

I am left with the winners to my ears...one of which is the Brazilian.....

Trending Topics