Solar City. Anyone Use Them For Solar Panels?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dB, May 19, 2015.

  1. dB

    dB Member

    Messages:
    3,774
    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    I'm looking for positive or negative experiences with this company. Has anyone used them? They offer a lease agreement for a solar system that, on the surface, seems a no brainer...but there must be a catch.

    Here's the gist:
    - At no charge, they install, maintain, warranty, repair, etc a solar system on your roof.
    - The kW/h cost in 15 cents, and will increase by no more than 2.9% per year. My utility company currently charges 24 cents, and it increases almost 5% per year.
    - The lease term is 20 years. You can sell the home, and the system conveys to the new owners.
    - Lease payments are nothing more than the 15 cents kW cost...no other taxes, maintenance, usage fees.
    - They estimate that I will offset 36% of my curent bill. So, it would be 36% @ 15 cents, and the remaining 64% through my utility company.

    Anyone have experience with Solar City?
     
  2. FFTT

    FFTT Member

    Messages:
    28,403
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Wow! You guys are getting hammered. It's still around 7-8 cents per kwh here in VA.
     
  3. esoteric pete

    esoteric pete Supporting Member

    Messages:
    6,750
    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    Location:
    east coast
    FWIW, ive heard these guys reffered to as "solar sh*tty" for quite a few reasons...

    i know people that have gone through vivint and NRG w/ good results...
     
  4. hi-fi-dave

    hi-fi-dave Member

    Messages:
    4,930
    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2006
    Location:
    NW,Ohio
    I hope to get some solar too. Any advice?
     

Share This Page