Solar

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by blue_lu, Feb 24, 2008.

1. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

Hi,

finally I'm really focusing on getting some jazz skills down and right now I'm working on Solar. So far I'm just arppegiating (?!) my way through this tune
    Just wondering if:
    -how do you approach this tune? scales or more arpeggios?
    -you know good recordings - I don't have the Miles Version yet, only the abercrombie/scofield duo record, which is one of my favorite recordings right now. I'm eager to hear some recommendations...
    - have a BT for that tune :D?!

Later, Lu

2. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

One way to find musical ideas is to identify the key changes.

The first 2 bars are in Cm. The next four are a II-V-I to F major. Then a three - bar II-V-I to Eb major, a two-bar II-V-I to Db major, and one bar of ii-V leading back to Cm.

My favorite is Pat Metheny's version on "Question and Answer" with Dave Holland and Roy Haynes. IMO, that's about as good as it gets.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

More melodies. :AOK

Slow it down to ballad tempo and practice singing melodies over it. Once you can really hear your way through the harmony, then try playing some guitar. Good luck!

4. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

Thanks for your input - and keep it it coming,

Jay, I've already identified the changes, right know I'm just trying to get a constant flow of eights over the changes (arpeggios). I will definitely check out the recording you mentioned :)

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Get the Miles version & learn his solo - it's at a fairly slow/moderate tempo and will teach you a lot about the tune.

I transcribed and learned both the Abercrombie and Scofield solos from that other version...that's a great record, isn't it?

6. Gene

Gene Member

If you are new to jazz, one of the more important things to do is learn some vocabulary. I personally would transcribe as much as I can but there are zillions of jazz vocabulary books out there. Many are horrible so you'll have to sort through the process.

Then work on applying the vocabulary you learned from transcriptions to tunes such as Solar. Pay attention to phrasing, time feel, and melody. These are just the first tiny steps to becoming a jazz player. Study and work on it as much as you can. You'll soon realize how difficult and fun the process can be to becoming a first rate musician. Read some interviews, bios of some players you like. You'll see that most had to work on it pretty much all of their waking hours.

7. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Based on your recognition of the harmonies, I'll second the suggestion to slow the changes down until you can solo over them with a comfortable flow of ideas, then develop a vocabulary of motifs and melodies that work with the song. As time goes on, you'll be able to increase the tempo without losing your musical "train of thought."

8. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

@ Ken

I will get the miles record tomorrow and do that. the sco/abercrombie cd is a document of real mastery, i think. Thank you for your advise, I will get that solo down.

@Gene

I am not really new to jazz, since I actually went to a jazzguitar teacher for two years straight - but to be honest I wasn't ready back then, I was into funk and hiphop jamband stuff. I copped some of his bebop licks, and some other real basic stuff, but I never really knew what was going on when tunes became more complex. I also listened to jazz for quite a long time now, but *now* I feel that I'm ready, I'm beginning to actually hear stuff, and I think I can now dedicate my whole attention to jazz - Im done with the funk/jambands stuff, it is beginning to bore me...

So I will follow your advise and start to trancribe and practice to work motives throughout the tune. Thanks for your time and advise!
    (if you have a minute: http://mp3.de/musik/genre/band/100401/266664/1
    "Feel like" is the elevator jazz tune "feel like making love", its me playing guitar. That was some time ago, I feel I have made a little progress from there by now...

@Jay

I will start out slow, I promise :)

Thank you all for your time. I know you are all really mean players so all your advise is really valuable for me. I will try my best - I also have a new teacher, I will have my first lesson with him on thursday. I'm excited!
    Thanks again, later, Lu