sold a guitar and really regret it

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Qwesda, Mar 20, 2020.

1. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

Yes, two. A long time ago. I try not to think about them. Sigh.

2. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Silver Supporting Member

Given the current crisis, I'm sure the luthier who built the first would happily build a second to your specifications, assuming you have the resources to do it. You get the guitar of your dreams, and he gets to pay his rent. It's a win for both!

3. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

You’re looking at that guitar through rose colored glasses I think. What good is a custom build, great tone and looks when the neck cramps your hand because it’s too thin? That would be a show stopper for me but I’m not you. I think you should decide that you were right to sell it and forget it.

WordMan likes this.
  4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Why not see if the luthier would make you another one with the neck of your choice?

5. lns

lns Member

You’ll never get over it.
    Sold a Caparison Horus HGS oiled Walnut which I regret

6. ESW.

ESW. Member

Your first instinct was correct. It didn't sit quite right with you, so you sold it. I've had zero long-term success chasing sold gear or re-buying the same item. Ask me how many Hiwatts I've owned in the last 35 years.

7. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

I've only been there regarding a fuzz pedal I sold to a guy last year around this time and instantly regretted it. Luckily, he put it up on Craigslist back in January and I was able to buy it back for cheaper.

Give it time, he may eventually want to sell it back one day.

Qwesda likes this.
  8. Brooks

Brooks Member

Can't say that I have. By the time I sell, I'm done and ready for something different.

9. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

I sold a guitar I built in the 80's and played for 7 years. All nitro, 1 piece quilt maple body. 1 11/16 nut and thin neck. Amazing guitar, Pete Frampton bought one just like it and used it on the Bowie glass spider tour. I sold it because the neck was thin, my tastes changed and I got 8K for it and was having a baby (Kevin). I did ask my Japanese dealer if they know who has it and they don't. I still miss it but I can make another. Can't the luthier make you another?

Rod, Route67 and Qwesda like this.
  10. gaelicsolus

gaelicsolus Supporting Member

Wow...this sounds uncannily like some relationships I've been in.

Rod, bearbike137 and music2myears like this.
  11. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

The only guitar that I really feel bad losing was my EBBM Axis. I had it for over 20 years. Someone broke into my house and stole it along with my 1987 Strat Plus and LP. I got my insurance check then all was fine.;););)

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I sold a Jerry Jones for the same reason, and I regret it. It may be the only guitar I regret selling.

13. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I've had remorse on almost every piece of gear I've ever sold, but not enough to be bummed long term!

14. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

This is solid advice.

Also, be sure to leave a note that clearly states it wasn’t you, otherwise he may suspect it.

Edit* I’m joking, of course.

Don’t leave a note.

Edit** Joking again.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    ArthurS, stonem and HoboMan like this.
  15. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Sold my Gibson Midtown because I wasn't gigging it. Regretted it within one week.
    A few months later I saw it on craigslist. Bought it back from the person I sold it to.

[​IMG]

WordMan, kevin hart and Rod like this.
  16. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

:spit

Fantastic cook likes this.
  17. motokev

motokev Member

sold a guitar and really regret it

yep....

I've owned many over the years. I can think of 3 that I regret.

-PRS Custom 22, mid 2000s
    -Fender 62 strat reissue, from the early 2000s
    -Tom Anderson Cobra, got it back luckily.

18. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

When this has occurred with me over the years, I have always reflected on what attributes about the departed guitar had me longing for its return and then I would push forward, trying to find another which matched or exceeded those attributes. For example, missing a guitar with a wonderful neck. I'd ask myself what was it about that neck that I missed so much and once I answered that question, it gave me a clearer pathway in choosing the next fiddle. If I miss the comfort of a chunky neck with well worn edges, it's likely I'm not going to be happy with a new shredder with a Wizard neck and factory finish fret work and thus I wouldn't even look for guitars like that. If I missed the sound of a guitar, I'd look at its woods and construction, it's pickups and go from there. It's not terribly difficult to find new guitars equally as nice as the ones we've owned in the past but to find them, we must first ask ourselves what is it about the very best guitars we've owned and let go that made them so special and go from there. Once you have that blueprint, the search becomes so much easier.

19. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Right off the bat I really regret selling four great guitars. If I think about it for a while I'll probably remember a few more...

20. Jorge E aka ricv64

Jorge E aka ricv64 Member

I had a made in Kalamazoo Epiphone Riviera that I sold to someone . I moped around for over a month and decided to use the money to find a similier one. Saw the guy I sold it too was selling it ... I made him a offer and he took it. I gave him the exact same bills he gave me plus some . Then later in a emergency need cash for medical bills I put it on consignment where for a few months people sure as hell played it, chipped knob . As soon as that crisis was over I took it home . Sold my AC30 10 years ago regret that and am hoping to find a similier one and be in a place where i'm ok buying it