• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

sold a guitar and really regret it

Hasn't happened to me yet, I've been lucky. But normally, if I have a guitar that I really like but it doesn't get much use, I give it to my son. He plays guitar as well, and I'd rather have it stay in the family than regret letting it go. Makes it easier to say, hey, can I borrow that guitar for a bit.:)

Paleolith54

hey all,

I sold a custom guitar (made by a luthier) around a year ago because the neck was a bit thin for me, but I deeply regret it now because it sounded amazing and had the perfect look. The guy I sold it to won’t sell it back to me (which is his right).

I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this kind of remorse and how you’ve dealt with it
I traded the one in my avatar, have kicked myself ever since. Now, I do like the one I traded for even better but in retrospect I could have done some things differently and ended up with both.

TheSmeeze007

I feel your pain. There are a couple of guitars and an amp I regret selling. Also, a ton of pedals. In no particular order:

1) Gibson les Paul classic custom goldtop
2) 2012 Gibson 61 sg reissue
3) custom audio amplifiers od 100 classic

and a billion pedals. You are not alone!

M

Member 37136

I deeply regret it now because it sounded amazing and had the perfect look.
Apparently neither was enough to overcome the ergonomics of the neck, and IMO, that's far more important than "amazing" tone and "perfect" looks. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

cutaway

Baker B1C #311 to finance my Artinger. The Artinger was great, but the Baker just had something. If it pops up ever, I'll be inclined to scoop it up.

Of course, that was over 15 years ago. And my tastes have changed. I might hate it now.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Sorry that happened to you...... this happened to me when like a Dummy, I even traded my Two Rock LTD (which I bought new$$$$$$$$$) for a Cornford, to Briggs guitars...I really should have had a contingency clause.. he wouldn’t trade back.. the Cornford sounded like needles on a chalkboard. That amp sucked....biggest musical mistake of my life..
total regret 13 years later.........
I know this is a guitar regret thread but never regretted selling a guitar. It was always for a good reason.. Amps, well that’s another thing

Last edited:

jvin248

Get one of your other favorite guitars and start adjusting pickup heights and swapping pots and caps. You can shape the tone of that other guitar to match the missing guitar's tone. It's not wood or magic. It's the pots and caps. So have at it. You can get there and then not miss that guitar, it had a too skinny neck right? Get the tone in your current guitar and all will be well with the universe.

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
I have a few regrets selling a guitar.
1. 1975 Fender Telecaster Custom... WTH was I thinking? I was the original owner too.
2. A Carvin acoustic / electric 12 string. It played well and sounded great. I had it built for me, out of Carvin's Santa Ana store around 1998.

Robotechnology

Gold Supporting Member
There have been some GOOD guitars that I’ve sold that have been in the $2k and up range that I temporarily regretted selling but after a few month or so, I got over it.

Now, on guitars that are under say $750, I don’t really sell. Why? Because to me they’re not worth selling. I’ve had them a long while, they are GOOD guitars and you can’t always find GOOD guitars for about $500 so putting $500 back in my pocket is not worth the sale of an instrument that ticks all the boxes. But, selling a $2k or $3k instrument does as I feel I can EASILY replace a $2,500 GOOD guitar with another $2,500 GOOD guitar. Does this line of thinking make sense to anyone else out there? :confused:

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I have a particular guitar I now occasionally regret having sold but you know what? The truth is it means nothing in the cosmic scheme of things.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
hey all,

I sold a custom guitar (made by a luthier) around a year ago because the neck was a bit thin for me, but I deeply regret it now because it sounded amazing and had the perfect look. The guy I sold it to won’t sell it back to me (which is his right).

I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this kind of remorse and how you’ve dealt with it
I’m with you 50%. I too sold an amazing guitar because the neck wasn’t right for me.

But I don’t regret it because the neck wasn’t the right one for me.

sunburst79

I traded my 79 LP for my first Historic. After about 15 years together you could say the 79 and I had bonded. I really loved the 79 but a 1996 R9 is better in every way. Except one. I was finding the rounded 59 profile a bit girthy. Not terribly so. It just didn’t feel like my old friend in hand. And after a couple of weeks my mind kept returning to how comfortable the 1979 was. I could close my eyes and feel it. I was getting about on the R9 pretty well at this point and was digging the profile. But ummm. The 79 was haunting me. I’d go into GC and it was hanging there where the R9 used to be. Top of the wall. Finally I had them pull it down. Grabbed it and the second my fingers wrapped around the neck it was like Ahhhhhh. Huge mistake.

I only wanted one Les Paul. One Strat. So after about 5 weeks I buy the 1979 back. I still can’t tell you if I lost money on the trade or broke even. Now I’ve got 2 Les Paul’s but my old main squeeze is back. Life’s good. Kinda. After a year or two I realize I’m playing the R9 exclusively. The 79 was very very nice and very dear to me but it’s no R9. One thing led to another and after a crazy GC markdown event or two there’s a R7 Custom. Because Quality is addictive. And a R8..... 6-7 Historics and a wall of other cases later that 79 turned out to be very expensive. You can sometimes bring them back home. In hindsight had someone snapped up the 79 I might have still one Les Paul snd one Strat. But with two Les Paul’s it was much easier to justify the next one.

skydog

A guitar teacher I had traded a 1937 D-18 for a Gretsch electric 6 string, after seeing The Beatles at the Indiana State Fair in 1964. 40 some years later he was able to buy it back from a pawnshop in Gary!

kkregsg

Gold Supporting Member
2 thoughts. My first guitar was a 63 Gretsch Corvette single pick up. Years later bought a double pick up one for nostalgia's sake. Sold it within 6 weeks.

Second, I traded in a custom made tele that I adored, for a Les Paul Recording bass, back when I didn't even play bass. Damn you Demon Rum! I'm marginally smarter now, but I would buy it back if possible. It's not. I'm primarily an acoustic player now, so if money drops from the sky, George Lowden here I come!

Last edited:

bluesoul

Pretty sure you are the only one...or should I say welcome to the club! There is always another...seek and find!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom