Sold *SOLD* Custom Built Strat - Blonde / Ash, Big Maple Neck, Duncan Antiquities, Gold Hardware, Featherweight!

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
Here's another thoughtfully conceived and well executed Strat with the following components:

-Guitar Mill lightweight (3lb 7oz) swamp ash body in thin nitro lacquer blonde finish
-Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfer II PU's
-Fender vintage spec gold hardware, high quality Gotoh 15:1 ratio gold plated tuners, vintage style gold butterfly string tree
-Fender licensed Allparts SMNF-FAT one piece maple neck with thin amber tinted nitro lacquer finish. All vintage accurate including single acting truss rod, correct shape, contours and radii, etc.

Neck specs:

• 21 tall frets (.095" x .055")
  • Solid Maple neck with Vintage tinted Nitrocellulose finish
  • 9.5" radius
  • Nut width 1-5/8"
  • Heel width 2-3/16"
  • Tuning peg hole diameter .340"
  • Truss Rod adjustment at heel
  • Neck thickness .99" at first fret, 1.0" at twelfth fret

This guitar is a feather at just 6.9 pounds. As you would expect with a big fat neck and lightweight ash body it absolutely rings like a big ol' church bell. Very lively and acoustically resonant. Notes really pop out of this guitar all up and down the neck and the sustain is especially apparent.

The body is made and finished by Guitar Mill and has beautiful ash grain showing through the thin blonde finish. There is natural horizontal weather checking all over the body and many small dings and bumps but thankfully no phony sanding "wear". Very tastefully done (not by me, props to Guitar Mill).

The neck is straight and true and set up for low action (10-46's) with no dead spots, no buzzing, no fret choking when bending strings. I took the gloss off the back of the neck with 800 grade wet or dry paper which gives a nice smooth broken in feel without the overdone sanded-down-to-bare-wood-and-stained-dark-grey that so many seem to think looks "vintage". I personally hate that look as it always looks fake. But I digress. This is a nice big meaty neck that feels great in the hand and will only get better with age as the thin lacquer naturally wears through.

Duncan Antiquity Surfer II PU's with alnico V magnets measure: neck 6.44, middle 6.33 and custom wound bridge 6.73
5-way switch, CTS pots, cloth wiring, professionally soldered. Master volume, master tone and a blend pot to combine neck and bridge.

• DC Ohms: 6.3K
  • Inductance: 2.87 henries
  • Q: 2.39

Single layer aged cream colored pickguard with matching cream colored PU covers, knobs and switch tip. It's hard to capture the nuance of plastic color shades in photos but this one looks handsome indeed with the blonde body, cream plastic and amber tinted neck.

It is extremely hard to find lightweight swamp ash these days (thanks emerald ash borer), even harder to find an ash Strat that weighs under 7lbs.

This is a superb playing and sounding guitar that checks a lot of boxes for a less than half what you would have to pay for a Custom Shop or boutique build version of a Mary Kaye Strat.

$1100 net

Add $75 for tweed case shown in last couple photos

*SOLD*

YgL0CxY[1].jpg

EIVi7yv[1].jpg

aW4a8f8[1].jpg

WfdvZsf[1].jpg

Y2vZrxJ[1].jpg

esJKX7K[1].jpg

Allparts necks have the vintage correct radius "scoop" from behind the nut to the face of the headstock transition. Those kind of details may not matter to many, but they do to me
KIFhtLR[1].jpg

Decal is on top of the finish so could easily be removed if desired
rbuVb1M[1].jpg

wPxzQiY[1].jpg

nU2f6Jg[1].jpg

PoTMnCt[1].jpg

Duncan Antiquity PU's sound great
zTa6oGH[1].jpg

Pro wired with top quality components
wS0Y9Is[1].jpg

All gold bridge (no black screws nor springs) with Fender stamped saddles are very hard to find. Ask me how I know
A8xBaAE[1].jpg

This case is available for $75

Thanks for looking

Attachments

Last edited:

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
Just got done playing this and my other strat I have listed, and if I had a money tree in my back yard I would not be selling either one of them. I seriously contemplated keeping one or both and selling one of my "keeper" strats instead. The conundrum is that all four are unbelievable, each hold their own against the other without giving any quarter. No BS gentlemen, these guitars are righteous.

Whomever is smart enough to buy one will be eminently rewarded for their boldness and modest investment. Either one will give any other guitar you own a run for it's money.

The strats in question
tyOnAPy[1].jpg

The Keepers (for now, it's tenuous) on the left
UfdY2ks[1].jpg

Alister

Silver Supporting Member
I get the distinct impression you know. your Strats. Wish I could buy both of them (or, one even). GLWS!

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
I get the distinct impression you know. your Strats. Wish I could buy both of them (or, one even). GLWS!
There are certainly others with much more knowledge, I just know what I know. I've got the procurement and assembly thing down to the point that there aren't duds anymore. They all seem to turn out to be exceptional guitars, which is really cool, to be honest.

I am in awe of the creations of Leo Fender and his team. They really hit it out of the park with almost everything they did. Amazing.

Last edited:

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
Nice Mary Kay, mang. That sounds super sweet. I don't see a description of the neck carve. Looks like a ...D? Can you elaborate a bit.

I had a CS Mary Kay from Fender that was a superb axe and I only traded it away to a mensch because I needed a Lester for a band I was in. But dang that was nice and quite similar to your description and photos. Dohn reckon you have some recordings...as that is a PITA, but...

Last edited:

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
Nice Mary Kay, mang. That sounds super sweet. I don't see a description of the neck carve. Looks like a ...D? Can you elaborate a bit.

I had a CS Mary Kay from Fender that was a superb axe and I only traded it away to a mensch because I needed a Lester for a band I was in. But dang that was nice and quite similar to your description and photos. Dohn reckon you have some recordings...as that is a PITA, but...
Thank you. The neck is a very full C shape. Big fat neck that really fills your hand. If you don't like big necks, then this is not the guitar for you. I absolutely love this neck profile. It is a joy to play and really drives the entire guitar with big, fat tone!

Ejphotos

Silver Supporting Member
That looks awesome. Looks like an aged version of my AO 50's in white blonde with gold hardware. GLWS!

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
An important omission. Where are you located? Endless info and no location.

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
Spent an hour going from strat to strat tonight, threw my tele and 355 in the mix too. This blonde strat is as good as any of the other ridiculously good guitars I own. Every time I pick it up I get inspired and lose track of time. When I snap out of it I look down and say "holy sh!t this is great effing guitar". Every time.

Someone is going to be rewarded for ponying up and buying this thing already. Obviously I'm biased, but I think it's a steal.

Last edited:

Trending Topics