**SOLD** Lucky Dog Televangelist guitar. Serial# 000001

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, May 10, 2015.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Supporting Member

I built a few guitars for myself under my name Lucky Dog Televangelist and people started wearing me out locally wanting them after they played them

This is the 1st one I have built that I am considering selling once complete. They have a 11-16 degree compound radius and I usually put Fralins or Lollars in them. Kluson locking tuners. All aged hardware etc

I just thought I'd put this out there on TGP as a progress report and gauge the interest. It's kinda my own style, if they never take off, I'm fine being the only guy to have them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lucky111

lucky111 Supporting Member

Interested! Keep us updated please--pricing?

Well done!
    luk

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I totally dig it. Very rat rod.

4. skhan007

skhan007 Member

That is indeed pretty badass!

5. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I dig it. You should put this in the builders section with some more info.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Interesting guitar.

Good forward to seeing the finished product.

7. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Silver Supporting Member

Quite interested to see and learn more. Got pics of the ones you did for yourself? Any idea on price range? Serious questions :)

8. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Gold Supporting Member

Very cool look. I'd love to see the Stratosfear model!

9. Lucky Dog Guitars

Let me think on it. i would say most likely in the $1200 range. There's a good bit of hours just achieving the look. I'd say I've got about 35-40 hours just in the appearance alone. But I also spend a lot of time on fretwork/setup and only high end components. I don't want one of my guitars to land in the hands of some pro down the road and them do anything but try to buy it off you. Nothing I hate worse than a guitar that looks awesome but doesn't feel right in your hands. I have a guitar repair shop here in cleveland, tn and do a lot of area guitar fretwork etc for people

10. monty

monty Member

That looks awesome.

11. Jazzandmore

12. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Moved to proper forum, please don't spam or promote your biz ideas outside of this forum.

13. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Buying necks and bodies or building them?

14. Lucky Dog Guitars

I prefer to steer clear of building guitars using all off-the-shelf stuff for multiple reasons.. desired specs just being one of them. I've got my own CNC programs to cut my bodies & necks. But I have been working with 2 extremely talented neck builders to save me time & allow me to stock up for projects (smaller builders, not big name suppliers) It allows me to hand choose my neck blanks using woods of my choice, drop them off & get the specs I want.

I am also working on machining my own bridges that will be a hybrid notched tele design. A close friend of mine locally manufactures a lot of metal parts for a major appliance company, so we are working on the bridge project together.

I'm considering a pretty unique strap button design as well, still in the design phase on that.

I'm in no real hurry, but I want to steer clear of being another "parts-caster" builder

15. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

As a suggestion then, maybe look at investing some time on your own headstock silhouette and body shape. I'm not criticizing/judging (Teles are awesome), just saying this would be where you define yourself out of the partscaster fray.
    Doing "T-style" and "S-style" = partscasters. Even the best of them.

16. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I like what you've done with the truss adjuster. Heck, I like everything about it.

:dude

17. rich_chaffins

rich_chaffins Silver Supporting Member

Are you referring to headstock, or body shape? Assuming headstock.

18. Jazzandmore

Hmm, I've got a Knaggs Severn which is an S-style, but looking at it, I don't think anybody could think it's a partscaster.

[​IMG]

19. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

When both used together. If you are doing this, it's likely going to be lumped in as a Fender clone even if you add some personal touches (like tiltback headstock which is smart). Nothing wrong with that but it is what it is.
    I wouldn't consider Jazzandmore's Knaggs an S-Style just because it happens to have 3 SC pickups and 3 knobs. I doubt Knaggs calls them S-style either, he's a good example of taking the heart of a classic and making his own guitar around the idea.
    I have respect for Anthony's skills and can see that if he takes it one more step, that step can get his work out of the shadow of the big "F" products, especially using his cool finishing techniques.

[​IMG]

20. Lucky Dog Guitars

I appreciate the input. I tend to agree the more I think on it. I believe I will alter the headstock somewhat going forward.

So this one will likely be the ONLY one built with the exact Fender style headstock (since it's already been done)

I'll be thinking on how I want to do the future ones without departing too much from a classic look