Sold my guitar to a guy on CL, and two weeks later

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheClev, Feb 12, 2015.

1. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

...he's selling it for $200 more than he paid. Can't help but feel a little irritated. Has that happened to anybody else?

2. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

Sure, sometimes I've been the buyer, sometimes I'm the seller. It's just the way things go.

but remember, just because he's TRYING to sell it for $200, doesn't mean he'll GET $200 more!

3. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

offer him $400 less and you you might get your guitar back and instead you make the profit or something like that.:anon

4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Is he simply asking $200 more, or do you know for a fact that he's indeed selling it for $200 more? Either way, you should watch his ad and see how long it stays up with his higher price.

And to answer your question: yes... it happens more often than not (and not just on CL).

5. airportbar

airportbar Member

Did he tell you it was his dream guitar before he bought it? Otherwise, why care? People flip houses all the time, I just presume my buyers may do the same with guitars I sell.

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

It would only bother me if whatever I did with the money ended up as less satisfying that the guitar I used to have, and even then it would projecting frustration away from something that was ultimately my fault not his.

Otherwise, not at all. Maybe he likes the guitar, but would be willing to sell it at that price if someone comes out of the woodwork.

How long did yours hang out on CL?

7. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

He probably decided he didn't like it and is trying to get his money back. Would you prefer he demand you take it back in return?

8. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

Why should it matter? If you willingly sold him the guitar for a price you agreed to what would be the issue?

It would be different if it wasn't an "arms length transaction". Say you knew the guy and he needed a guitar but only had $200. So as a favor to a friend you sold him your guitar for less than it was worth as favor to a friend. Being that you sold the guitar on CL that doesn't seem to be the case.

If he gets his asking price, you may feel somewhat shorted, but then again he may not get what he is asking for it.

9. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

About two weeks. What bothers me is that he said he was buying the guitar for his son, so I sold it a little cheaper than I would have otherwise. Pretty sure he was just trying to flip it.

10. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

That's why I never listen to that BS.

11. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Is he using your photos in his listing? THAT would annoy me.

But ultimately, anyone that saw your guitar out their for two weeks is going to ask "what's up with this guitar" now that it's listed again so soon.

It's possible the story around his son was just a smokescreen, and if so, he's kind of an ahole for doing that. But live and learn you know? Almost every one buying gear on CL seems to have both a hardluck story and price references that are 20years outdated. "Oh yeah, nice Les Paul Standard, but these go for $900..." Don't do anyone favors unless giving handouts makes you feel good. More likely people are just trying to angle you.

But wait - if you gave him a deal on it, is his listing price $200 more than your discounted price to him or $200 more than what you originally had it listed for? If it's the former, than maybe he knows he's going to get haggled (cause he just haggled you!), so he's just trying to create some wiggle room.

12. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I guess I fall into the "why let it bother you" camp. You got an amount you were ok with, and I doubt he'll get much more than he paid for it. And, if he does, who cares?

I've never told anyone a story just to get a good deal, but I have bought a guitar and then, after playing it and realizing it wasn't for me, listed it for more than I paid. I wasn't trying to make a profit, but I was trying to make my money back, so I listed it a little higher in order to allow some negotiating room.

13. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I don't see the issue at all.

14. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

reply to the CL ad telling him you're thinking of buying it for your son, and ask if he'd consider a price $200 less than he's asking.

will be revealing...

look at it this way, if you listed it on the emporium, you'd have had offers for 300, 400 less!

15. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Yes. And yes it is irritating. Some guy on TGP actually. He gave me some song and dance about being a broke student so I sold it for a good bit less than I should have. Not too long after that he was asking quite a bit more for it.

Never again!

Now when selling something on Craig's List people will sometimes tell me they saw it for less on ebay. I tell them they should have bought it. Screw 'em.

16. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Supporting Member

Who cares? You're acting like an 11 year old that's mad he made the wrong decision and now wants to reverse it. :D

17. airportbar

airportbar Member

The other thought is maybe he (or his "son") ended up not liking it and now he just wants to get back what he paid you. If he asks for what he actually paid you chances are he'll end up with a loss. By asking over that, well you get the drift.

Bottom line move on and don't worry about it.

18. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Because I'm a little irritated? I'd TP his house if I was acting like an 11 year old. Come to think of it, that idea isn't half bad. :banana

19. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

Meh... just contact him via CL and do the lowball offer dance.
    Put enough into it that he knows he bought it from you.

Feign ignorance of the sale or ever having owned the instrument.

Troll him hard.

:sarcasm

20. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

Never a bother, it's the new owners and what they choose to do with I - well it's not mine anymore!