Sold my Mesa Boogie...maybe a Marshall next?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markl, Jan 27, 2020.

1. markl

markl Member

Tonight I sold my Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:50. I didn’t love it, though there were some great sounds in it. And I’m no longer playing with a band, and not planning to try again any time soon, so the only playing out I”m doing is at open jams and it’s just not worth lugging that thing.

That leaves me with a Roland Blues Cube (which I REALLY like) and an Orange Crush 60 (which I like, though i’m getting tired of the buzzy drive sounds). I might unload the Orange too.

I think I’d like to try a vintage style Marshall or a close copy. I’ve never played one, but at least in demo and instruction videos, the sound of a JTM45 through a large cab is heavenly.

I’m not interested in a head and cab for portability reasons. And I’m not too interested in the Bluesbreaker reissues (too pricey).

I’m in no rush, so what else should I look at? I’d like to keep it below $1500, preferably below $1000. I don’t mind used and I don’t mind trying amps and hunting for a while.

If it matters, I play blues, blues rock, and some country. I love good clean sounds, and light bluesy crunch and I play a PRS Singlecut, a standard Tele and a Gretsch 5622t.

2. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

I don't know if you're determined to stay away from Mesa, but the Triple Crown and Fillmore combos may be worth looking into. The TC is much more British-voiced than most Mesa/Boogies (though it can get up into borderline Boogie Mark range as well) and the Fillmore is kinda like a hulked-out version of a tweed Fender with enough gain on tap to get into Marshall territory.

You can find both on Reverb for less than $1,500, and the Fillmore 25 is only about 35 lbs. If it's anything like my 25-watt Mesas, volume will not be a concern.

The other thing that comes to mind immediately is the Suhr Badger 18, which you could probably find <$1,500 used, but the combo version seems pretty rare and is an unusual design, more like a head and 1x12 cab fused together than a standard combo.

I don't know if Cornford ever made combos, or if they'd be hellishly expensive now, but they really knew how to get the mid-gain snap and bite of early Plexis.

markl and Jabby92 like this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

If you need a master volume, maybe look into a mini Dirty Shirley combo?

And while this is not particularly JTM 45-flavored, the Marshall 4010 is a spectacular combo. It's the 2204 circuit (single-channel 50 master volume) in a 1x12 combo format.

markl likes this.
  4. djw

djw Member

Definitely look at a used Mesa TA30 combo or consider the TA15 and a cab (not sure what your rationale for avoiding a head/cab config is exactly). Your clean tone styles seem like they'd be a good fit for these.

bgh and markl like this.
  5. scotty31

scotty31 Member

They take some dialling when lowering the gain, but the Rivera Knucklehead (the original 55w version) is a good marshall style amp.

markl likes this.
  6. markl

markl Member

I’ll have to listen to Fillmore demos again. I didn’t think of it as a tweed-flavored amp but I do remember it having a good amount of gain.

Dead Astronaut likes this.
  7. markl

markl Member

I was interested in the TA30 before. Wish they still made it. But after the Express I’m little concerned that an amp with that much flexibility does not really at any of the sounds. Do you have one?

8. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

If you know you want a JTM45 in a combo format, there’s Ceriatone. They make a JTM45 in a 1x12 combo for $1,200. You just add your own speaker (shipping is cheaper that way). They also offer a 2x12, and can install speakers if you want.

9. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    While I would recommend finding a low watt Marshall of your liking such as the SV-20, SC-20, or Mini Jubilee, another consideration is the BluGuitar Amp1 ME. It has the tactile feel of an all-valve amp, and it has the JTM-45, Plexi and JCM-800 on it's first three channels.

I played Mesa Boogies and couldn't like them, so I switched to Marshall decades ago. This past November, I bought the Amp1 ME and it has the feel and sound of the Marshalls I played, the older vintage era ones. Channel 4 on the Amp1 is named a "metal" channel, but I get JCM-800 modded sounds from it.

While Thomas Blug is coming out with a new amp, it is not scheduled to appear for about one year. I'm loving all the things about the BluGuitar amp, and Remote1 which I bought with it. It makes the amp far more versatile.

While you are auditioning various Marshall and Marshall-esque amps, you should research the Amp1 as well. I'm loving mine for live use and it definitely has that Marshall sound all over it.

wntbtw and markl like this.
  10. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

What I did is order the chassis from Ceriatone ($800) then ordered a 212 BB Combo cab from Mojotone (<$400). The 212 BB from Ceriatone is $1,500, 112 is $1,200 (both without speakers). Now I’ll have a 212 JTM45 combo for about $1,300 once the chassis comes in. I already have one G12M for the cab and just bought a M75-PVC to pair with it. If I wanted a 112, I could of done it for around $1,000. A little more if buying a speaker.

Not to mention it’s hand wired, has a PPIMV, FX loop (passive), 1/2 power switch, external bias, and can easily accommodate KT-66’s. I should mention, I ordered the chassis without tubes because I already have them. The PPIMV is +$40 through Guitar Amps USA.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    wntbtw, markl and teofilrocks like this.
  11. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

That’s another good idea. OP might even like the Mojotone cab better. And the Ceriatone chassis comes with mounting bolts. At least my 2204 build did.

HeavyCream likes this.
  12. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

I’m glad you said that, I was wondering about the bolts. Mojotone tossed in a wiring harness so all I’ll have to do is put it together. The cab came in yesterday and it is gorgeous! I can’t wait.

teofilrocks likes this.
  13. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

If you can find a Marshall Vintage Modern 2466; a huge bonus would be getting the matching 4x12 cab (Greenbacks).....that would be a great amp if you are after JTM........there were some silly folks selling these cheap.....I have heard prices are creeping up as they fall into people's hands who know what the amp is and how to use it.

Edit......if you want a combo they make a Vi ntage Modern combo.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  14. djw

djw Member

I have the TA15, and kind of lust after the 30. The 1x12 combo is surprisingly manageable, weight wise, for a Mesa. As far as sounds go, the AC and Tweed modes are excellent; I don't use the H1 and H2 modes much, but people seem to love the Marshall thing in it. I guess it's more like a plexi or 18w vibe, as opposed to a jcm. Takes pedals like a champ. Great amp design.

markl likes this.
  15. markl

markl Member

Great idea. I have listened to demos of the first Amp1 and am interested. I’m not committed to tubes (love my Blues Cube). The problem is finding a place to try it. I don’t have a cab so $800(?) for the amp plus a cab is a lot to plunk down with trying it.

16. markl

markl Member

Thanks. I’ll look into that amp (I’m making a list!!)

17. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

You might want to rethink getting a a head and cab s a combo. Way more versatile and practical as well. You can always get different cabs for different situations from 1x10,1x12,2x12,4x10,etc.
    It also sounds like you want your distortion and clean tones from the amp? That's a harder thing to get right! Depending on your budget and size require me TS I'd recommend some of the following for a solution
    Friedman Runt 50
    Carvin Legacy
    Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne along with a OD pedal.
    Dr Z EMS along with a boost or OD pedal
    Fender Super Sonic head
    Marshall STL head

djw likes this.
  18. djw

djw Member

A really good point. Also worth considering whether the goal is absolutely nailing both a clean and dirty tone at the same time with one amp. Most channel switchers make sacrifices on one or the other, or have a shared eq that works great for one channel or the other, but not both at the same time. That can be just fine if you're only using it for casual or home use. If you're stepping into a higher-ticket gig that requires that kind of immediate versatility, budget has to go way up.

19. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

That's because you buy one head instead of finding out you need 12 different amps!
    Another consideration on the cheap is a used Katana 100 watt and their FC.

20. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Here are a couple vids if that helps........

markl likes this.