Sold my PAF... need a replacement!

Brock

Silver Supporting Member
I recently sold my 50's PAF :NUTSbecause I needed the cash for stuff. So now I have an empty spot on my Les Paul. I need another pickup for my neck position. So, any thoughts on a good replacement? It measured 7.5 ohms. Great wood tone. I'm willing to spend up tp $200 for PAF style pickup.

hucklebee

Hey Brock

I've tried a bunch of 'em, but the most accurate (to my ears) is

http://www.wcrguitar.com/

I have a "Crossroads" in the Neck and A "Darkburst" in the bridge.

I used to have a '62 335.... the WCR's get me very close to the PAF tone I had in that guitar.

Brock

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Brock

I've tried a bunch of 'em, but the most accurate (to my ears) is

http://www.wcrguitar.com/

I have a "Crossroads" in the Neck and A "Darkburst" in the bridge.

I used to have a '62 335.... the WCR's get me very close to the PAF tone I had in that guitar.
Oh man. I just checked out that site. I really liked the Godwood neck clip. It really sounds like my old pickup. Very reasonable prices also. I like the crossroads 2nd clip, but I think that was the neck pickup. Very cool stuff!

Chi

howdy-
I have got a set of vintage 1958 PAFs in my LP.
I've also got the following:
-a set of WCRs (with real PAF short magnets)
-a set of Rolph 58 Pretenders
-a set of Wofetone Dr. Vintage
-a set of Holmes

Nothing touches the Real PAFs (admittely, these sound better than other real PAFs I've tried)

The bridge on the Wagner w/real magnet is awesome.
As a replacement set tho, the the Dr. Vintage AND the Rolphs come real close; it scary. Can't go wrong with either. Or save up for another PAF!

Brock

Silver Supporting Member
howdy-
I have got a set of vintage 1958 PAFs in my LP.
I've also got the following:
-a set of WCRs (with real PAF short magnets)
-a set of Rolph 58 Pretenders
-a set of Wofetone Dr. Vintage
-a set of Holmes

Nothing touches the Real PAFs (admittely, these sound better than other real PAFs I've tried)

The bridge on the Wagner w/real magnet is awesome.
As a replacement set tho, the the Dr. Vintage AND the Rolphs come real close; it scary. Can't go wrong with either. Or save up for another PAF!
I found my original PAF for $78 at a Seattle guitar show, so if that happens...that would be great, but for now...I know that there are some great clones.

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
Here are just some I've had in my LP's.
Wolfetone Dr. Vintage
Duncan Ants
WCR Crossroads
WCR Filmores
RS/Fralin

The two that had the clearest and sweetest neck tone in my guitars are the Dr. Vintage and the Crossroads.
Next week I'll have a set of vintage wind WB 67-07 to check out.

hucklebee

I found my original PAF for $78 at a Seattle guitar show, so if that happens...that would be great, but for now...I know that there are some great clones.

How do you find these things? Didn't you find the Jr. at a garage sale?

We need to hook up soon BTW.

Jeff

Brock

Silver Supporting Member
How do you find these things? Didn't you find the Jr. at a garage sale?

We need to hook up soon BTW.

Jeff
Yeah I found a 55 Jr at a garage sale, and a 59 Jr. I found the paf for $78 and a 1971 Guild blond acoustic for $59. A 1963 Kalamazoo amp for $3, a 1960 Fender Champion lapsteel for free.....just by asking and searching. It's been fun. Are you in the area?

fretnot

Platinum Supporting Member
Wolfetone Legend...amazing pickups.

Cant go wrong with any of these suggestions, though. Good luck!

Pete Galati

The WCR humbuckers I have are quite good.

I think you'd also do well with Lollar Imperials or Duncan Antiquities.

I don't think I wrote down the readings I took off them, but the neck pickup from my WCR Betset set was probably somewhere in the ballpark of 7.5K. But you'd be better off telling Jim what sound you're after, than what kind of reading to expect.

My Les Paul Junior/Special currently has a WCR Betset neck PU in the neck position, and a WCR Crossroads bridge PU in the bridge position. I'm expecting the Betset's bridge pickup to make a very sweet neck pickup in something. I was thinking of popping the remaining WCRs in my Epi Elitist SG. One of these days maybe.

esoteric pete

Silver Supporting Member
i was going to also mention WCR crossroads or darkburst, or the wolfetone Dr.V's as well.

either of those two choices will get you pretty close.

Brock

Silver Supporting Member
I think I've decided on a WCR pickup. I am leaning towards the Goodwood neck pickup. Has anyone tried out the Darkburst, Crossroads and the Goodwood? I'm looking for tonal qualities that a strat has in the neck position if that makes sense. I hear it in the Goodwood 2nd clip on their website.

Dave Orban

Platinum Supporting Member
duncan ants!
Yup.

I've gone through a bunck of boutique stuff, and the Antiquities do very well, thank you...!

(Second place was a pair of aged Tom Holmes pickups in an 80s 335 that I got from Mark Norwine... THEY were OUTSTANDING!)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom