SOLD!! Thanks Charlie! ***Cancer Fundraiser - Local CT - Fender 1969 Super Reverb***

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs Emporium Archive' started by the_Chris, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Mods - Amp is SOLD. This thread is being kept open for reference purposes only. Thank you.

Update - here's a medley I made showcasing the amp; no pedals were used, just a Gretsch Black Falcon direct in (intro is blues/rock, ~2:40 jazz, ~6:50 rock/pop):

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/that90sguy/super-reverb-medley[/SOUNDCLOUD]

*** I’m raising some funds to help with my friend Wayne’s cancer treatment. Here’s a link to where 100% of the proceeds from the sale of this amp are going as well as some background on why he's such a great guy:
    http://de.gofund.me/q9xsr4 ***

A local Phoenix news station reported on him -
    http://www.azfamily.com/story/28715791/man-known-for-random-acts-of-kindness-has-brain-tumor

[​IMG]

For all interested parties, here’s a summary of the amp:

Up for sale is a completely overhauled vintage 1969 Fender Super Reverb.

Here's a list of things done to it:

• Converted towards authentic AB763 Blackface schematic (no tone robbing parasitic oscillation suppression caps or bias balance configuration for example)
    • Re-capped: cathode bypass caps, some coupling caps, filter caps (industry standard Sprague Blue Atoms in the filter section, Mallory M150 capacitors and Orange Drop caps isolated to the phase inverter section). The tone caps are all original with the exception of a ceramic cap that had actually gone bad on the vibrato input so that was replaced.
    • Replaced power tube ceramic sockets due to extensive wear (play in the tube fit can cause popping) as well as the grid resistors as the original ones exhibited signs of overheating. This keeps stability at higher volumes and with excessive vibration.
    • Replaced Cabinet with a premium constructed custom JD Newell cabinet - no rattling is very important with any large cabinet and a 4x10'' Super Reverb pushes a lot of air.
    • Replaced blown CTS speakers with (2) Celestion G10L-35 speakers (the same Matchless amps used to use when they were being produced) and (2) Celestion G10N-40 speakers -- these speakers keep the open clarity and shimmer of Fenders and given the 95db sensitivity, you don't have to open the amp all the way to get some organic speaker breakup. Want more headroom? Buy some speakers with 98-100dB sensitivity. Considering most people complain about the volume of Super Reverbs, I think people will appreciate that these "give up the goods" at a lower volume. Also, another advantage is that since the magnets aren't as large as speakers like EVs or JBLs, the amp isn't near as heavy so this can be lugged around without throwing out your back.
    • Replaced old speaker cable with boutique Evidence Audio Siren II (speaker cables DO make a difference and these are arguably one of the best on the market)
    • NEW tubes: TAD 6L6WGC-STRs, Tung Sol 12ax7s for V1 and V2, JJ tubes (they all sound great and test strongly on my Orange valve tester) - this is a $150 value alone.
    • New 2 button reverb/trem footswitch for reliable switching
    • Added tube shields for better preamp tube support
    • Grounded 3 prong AC cable for electrical safety (note: the "death cap" was removed as well)

This amp has a considerably low noise floor level since the electronics have been cleaned up. It's loud, it's punchy and for blues/rock enthusiasts, starts to break up at 3.5 on the volume with any moderate output pickups (I use Dynasonics in the audio clips above) so you can get some decent breakup at reasonable gigging volumes. It looks great since I took the initial brownface motif of the amp and extended it with the brown tolex cabinet and wheat grille cloth.

It's getting harder and harder to find good early silverface Fenders. This one has every bit of maintenance as one could ever expect to have done on it so you don’t have to. It's stage ready to rock. Only aesthetic blemish on the amp is a scuff mark on the faceplate by the mid control that doesn't show up in the pictures above. Whoever buys this will NOT be disappointed.

Why am I selling this? My friend Wayne has a stage 2 cancerous tumor in his brain. He went under the knife April 6th to have a large section of it removed. Since the remainder is malign, it looks like he's going to be undergoing rigorous chemo treatment and may be out of work for up to 3 months. He's going to need all the help he can get to provide for his wife and 2 kids in the meantime.

Interested in a good vintage tube amp and want to help someone and earn some good karma along the way? This is your amp.

What are you looking for it? I’m looking at raising $900 with this. It’s at least a $1200 amp in materials/value alone. For LESS than the cost of what a new PCB "reissue" costs, you’re not only getting a maintained vintage, point to point handwired amp that’s only going to escalate in value in time, but are also helping a man survive cancer so that he can provide for his family. It goes without saying the $900 is "firm" at this point. Try and find as well of a maintained vintage Fender for less and being sold for as good of a cause. This is a "no-brainer" for somebody.

Interested? Please contact me and I'll be happy to address any questions or details.

***Please note, due to the size of this amp, I can't afford to ship it. I'm more than happy to drive up to 75 miles to deliver it from 06416, however. That's realistically an hour and a half each way so I can cover a pretty significant distance within New England.

Thank you for looking!

Please see more pics below:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/the_Chris/embed/slideshow/For%20Sale

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  2. the_Chris

Back to the grind bump

3. the_Chris

4. the_Chris

Sold pending payment - thanks Charlie!