1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Sold Your FM 3? Why?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by texhex, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Personally, I think that is key. But in defense of the amp "argument" or statement, if your current amp rig already gives you the sound in your head AND none of the conveniences of modeling are major factors in your decision then why deal with modeling?
    I've said it many times and I still feel this way after years of using modelers, comparing them to real amps, etc. Amps still sound, feel and respond better under very specific conditions. Yes, even when comparing a high class modeling solution into a power amp + same cab.
    But modeling offers so much in the way of convenience and versatility it makes complete sense to many users including myself.
    I'm currently waffling on selling my great amp rig... I think that might be a mistake. Although it's so ludicrously hot and humid right now in SC there is ZERO chance I would take that rig out to a show.

ejecta, PaisleyWookie and JiveTurkey like this.
  2. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

A lot people say about other players, “ he sounds like himself no matter what he plays through”. There’s no doubt these modelers are great tools and anyone shouldn’t be discouraged from trying them, it’s all what works for you.

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  3. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

And so it begins. This happens every time I decide tube amps are cool. LOL. My amplification rigs (PowerCabs and a Matrix & 412) sit there unused because of COVID and I start doubting they sound as good as a “real” amp. All I have to do is fire them up, even with just an HX Stomp, to hear that they’re every bit as good if not better than the “real thing”. And they’re like 10x as convenient. I had an hour the other day when everyone was out of the house and I turned up that Matrix rig with the Stomp. Glorious.

Fractal units seem to need work to get them to sound good with a solid state amp. Helix is plug and play for me. Another reason why the FM3 will leave. And I’m about 99% sure that I’m going to pass over my III invite.

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  4. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Mine is on the way back to fix a USB hardware defect on mine. Was getting power from the USB port on my Mac and fried I’m guessing.

I’m not selling it through. It sounds amazing compared to any other modeler I’ve tried for plexi tones. If it only did the 50 watt Lead, I’d be more than happy with it for headphone practice and recording for travel.

They are apparently working on the usb software issues for another uodate.

Someone asked what the USB issues are:

-glitched every few seconds when connected to a daw over usb. Previous software version didn’t do this apparently so I imagine it’s all software and should get fixed.
    -doesn’t work with an iPhone connected via camera connection kit for feeding audio into it. This is also a software problem.

Until the software is updated to fix this, the USB port is really only usable for editing presets.

Still a happy customer knowing that I finally found a modeler that sounds good to me. I’ll use a UAD interface instead of USB for the time being.

Shai`tan likes this.
  5. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Member

For quite a few years, I was obsessed with having a life rig as small as possible. The AX8 was perfect in this regard. But after gigging for a year now with the Axe FX3 and FC-12, I realize the power and flexibility of this rig totally negates the inconvenience of one more trip to the car. And I actually feel better knowing if a beer takes out my FC-12, the show can still go on.

the.godfather and X-Mann like this.
  6. primal

primal Supporting Member

Played for years with and Axe FX II -> Carvin 1540L -> Splawn 2x12. Was every bit as easy as dialing in whatever amp I was simulating. Have an HX Stomp as well. It's awesome.

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  7. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

The only thing right now I do not like about the FM3 is the single Amp model at a time. My presets I make for the III are all morphing presets between two amps. It just works better for me.

GaryMcT likes this.
  8. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

I use a Matrix GT800FX with my AXE3 into a 4x12 cab. I am using the Brit 800 Mod model and it sounds glorious. As good as any real JCM800 I have heard. I think some models do better than others going into a solid state. I have yet to try my Helix through it.

Karl Houseknecht and primal like this.
  9. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

Yes(terday).

Why?
    1. Despite thinking I could hold off how my dumb brain likes to approach things and since I couldn't integrate it into my gig rig without going back to the rack (which brought a bunch of other caveats) or going to PT Terra size board; it was a fairly easy decision to make.

2. Made a little bit of $. Once my first Reverb payment clears :anon:worried

3. As great as it sounded; it drove me nuts on pretty much every other level. IR hunt. The way the loop is integrated (and all those unused TS jacks while still needing a g-d@mn XLR adapter for 4 cable :messedup ). Yes I know there's a "workaround" to this but it shouldn't have been designed this way in the first place. Deepest switching ever yet somehow the most convoluted way to go about even the simplest things. Double tapx3 then long tap then short tap to get to the tuner. What. The. F**k. The proverbial straw was when it stopped working with my music PC. Sure; I'll go ahead and wipe and reload my entire OS at my earliest convenience
    :bkw:brick:bonk:messedup:bitch

It sounds and feels spectacular. And if you don't need anything too crazy; it kills.

10. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

Where to from here?

11. desertdweller

desertdweller Member

I feel you on this one. The FM3 is designed so you can sent a cab sim output to XLR (Output 1) while sending a non-cab sim output to your power amp (Output 2), which makes total sense in a live situation. Most venues I've played, if you tell the sound guy to hook up to your XLR instead of their normal cab mic, they're usually very happy to do this.

I will always have my tube amps for home and recording use, but if / when I ever play out again (and I am jonesing to play live like crazy), it will be with the FM3 and a Powerstage 170. Throw your entire amp system in a backpack and go to the gig. That's awesome IMO.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  12. JiveTurkey

Sticking with my Boss gear for the forseeable future. It was never meant as a replacement for obvious discrepancy of features reasons. But I thought I could rationalize keeping it as a fun box to use whenever the desire to do so hit me. And it does scratch that itch for sure. But my other rationalization ("my new reverb pedal") was admittedly delusional at best :rotflmao

Karl Houseknecht and mikah912 like this.
  13. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

I feel like without ever getting around to mounting it on a pole, you never really gave it a chance :cry:

:D :beer. FM3 is made to FM3. If you can't or don't want to just FM3...GTFO.

mbenigni and JiveTurkey like this.
  14. JiveTurkey

All of this. The vertical hanging pole mounted pedalboard was nearly a reality but weight restrictions were the dealbreaker :(:anon:hide:D

15. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

With the caveat that putting things in front of it is fine. Because you can put stuff in front of anything.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  16. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

That’s funny because it’s so unsurprising :)

that being said, although nine isn’t going anywhere, I’m a firm believer that the FM3 is NOT a silver bullet.

There are a lot of unicorns and rainbows buyers out there, but i see it for what it is, warts and all.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  17. JiveTurkey

IT MUST ALL RESIDE ON THE POLE

18. JiveTurkey

I maintain my stance that it has the best amp modeling across the board. Bar. None. That has never been the issue for me. I also maintain that if you are a sad Atomic user who wants to feel like they have a device that the company actually remembers exists; the FM is a no brainer of the highest degree.

bdrepko, mikah912 and Dan Desy like this.
  19. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

It really does sound amazing doesn’t it? Mine is in for repairs but when it gets back I need to compare to my real amps through Ox and SRL-IR. First time I’ve actually been happy with modeling.

Fortunately I’ve been a computer nerd since I think 1982 and made a career out of it, so configuring it is pretty easy for me.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  20. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

See also: KPA?

What's this about a reverb pedal? I think I missed a thread.

mikah912 likes this.