Soldan SLO Vs. VHT SigX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tokyo tapes, May 13, 2008.

1. Tokyo tapes

Tokyo tapes Member

I have played through the Sig several times and love the amp. The SLO on the other hand is an amp that I just heard about and kind of dismissing as a one trick pony only for 80's metal. Then I saw this You tube clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4nZ1NIS54U

Here it sounds absolutely fantastic with the crunch on the clean channel as some kind of secret weapon.

You who have tried the SLO as well as the SigX. What is your take on the similarities/ differences?

/Ulf

2. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Crunch on the SLO is the shi-t. :)
    I have no idea about he VHT.

That's a bright room with a lot of echoes but it's a good video. Great VH chops.

3. Tokyo tapes

Tokyo tapes Member

Thanks, so you think the clip is a good representation of how the amp sounds in real life?

4. shoe

shoe Member

SLO and Sig X are two completely different beasts. The Sig X is much more articulate and cold. The SLO is creamy and warm by comparision.

I recently played a Diezel Herber vs. a VHT Sig X and there was no contest.....they Herbert did that super heavy scooped thing much better. It was fatter.....kinda a hybrid between the SLO and the Sig X.

For the record, I also owned a SLO and the Herbert simultaneously. The Herbert was much more versatile and did the scooped thing like nobody's business. However, the SLO was much more "musical" sounding. The SLO is just a great amp. There's a reason why they've been around for as long as they have.

5. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Yes it is a very good representation.

6. matte

matte Senior Member

cold? i'm cranking the master on channel 3 of sig x and running it @ 40 watts. cold is not an adjective that i would use to describe the sounds i get with my sig x.

7. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I got to play a Sig X yesterday...Cold wouldn't be my description either. It was a cool amp, way too complicated for my brain. LOL Nice tones in it, but not my style.

8. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 Member

It all depends on what you want and what you play. I own both amps and packed up my SLO-100 and put it in storage. The VHT does it for me. It can beat the crap out of you, or make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, or gently caress you and tickle your toes. The SLO only gave me the warm and fuzzy part. Just not enough.

9. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sort of. The SLO can be a lot sweeter and smoother or harsher and brighter than the video clip shows (on my speakers). But the range of gain is well represented there.

10. LAVALLE

LAVALLE Silver Supporting Member

I can't speak for the VHT, but my SLO (with all mods) is very versatile even though it has a shared EQ. It is just a very musical amp that can cover a lot of ground. They are pricey, but I feel this is one of those instances where you get what you pay for.