Soldano Avenger or Roccaforte C80

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Green Pro Am, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I currently own a Rocca C80. Overall I am pleased with the amp. With a Fulldrive, I am able to get reasonably close to the tones I want. These are: Lynch, Demartini,Evh etc. with a bit of Warren Haynes thrown in for good measure.

However, there are times that I feel I could use a bit more gain and saturation/smoothness.

I have not had the opportunity to play an Avenger; however, I have heard nothing but good stuff about them.

I would appreciate hearing anyones opinion.

Thanks

2. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

The tone is a matter of taste, but as far as components, build quality, and overall the Roccaforte is a superior amp.

3. J-Mart

J-Mart Member

I have a friend in NY that owned an Avenger. Didn't like it. You can't beat a Roccaforte in my opinion.

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

george lynch tone is a combination of a maple bodied ESP into a 72 Superlead, I think he gets killer tone. I think (corect me if im wrong) he used to borrow aspen pittman`s purple 72 superlead and that amp is responsible for seminal lynch tone. if you ask me those tones kick the ass of those ADA MP1 preamp tones de martini used. bear in mind those 72 four inputters are non master amps and they are scary loud dude.

check em out

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I had a chance to crank an Avenger when ABing with a Dual Rectifier head. I thought it served up better high gain rhythm sounds than the Mesa, but lost out on harmonics and smooth sustain in the single note thing. My Rocca (50w, Indoor Storm model) was a different animal all together-much more useful in that it had a whole range of great tones including the ability to clean up well with the guitar's volume. Only a couple of problems as I see it in your application:
    1. It's ungodly loud when it gives up the goods, an attenuator or a large venue is very helpful.
    2. Gain levels are down compared to the 90s Lynch stuff (when he was using a MOrin high gain preamp into the power section of a modded metal panel Marshall-killer sounding rig BTW, if you can find one of the 15 Morin preamps out there). You can address this with a gain pedal of some kind.
    I'd keep the Rocca, to me the Avenger is a (decent) one trick pony.

6. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Why not get a Rocca HG100?

7. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

[​IMG]
    the ONLY reason why I wouldnt go for the HG100 , I really do not like attenuators.

8. Green Pro Am

Thanks for the input guys.

As I said, I really do like the Rockie. I may just step up to a more agressive OD or Distortion pedal than the Fulldrive and see if that does the tick.

9. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I believe George used a variety of distortion pedals with that Marshall he borrowed to get those earlier tones. The best DeMartini tone imo is on 'lay it down" and I believe that was a SLO...I don't think he used ADA's much if at all. He used Laney's and Marshalls on the old Ratt stuff and switched to Soldano's for Invasion era I think. If you like those tones you may wanna test drive a Splawn amp..either a modded Marshall or his own line. The do those tones in spades.

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I now offer 1/2 and 1/4 power switching mods for the HG100.
    Doug
    PS, theres also an HG30 now.

11. Green Pro Am

What about pulling two tubes on the 80? Run it at half load?

12. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

Here's an idea if you don't want the volume of the Rocca HG100 (..and i agree that the Roccaforte Amps are outstanding w/re: quality, etc.): I have two Naylors that have had the High Gain Mod by Doug Roccaforte. One's an SC38 & one's a SD60. While they still retain a good deal of the Naylor character & tone (which is a VERY GOOD THING, I believe), the high-gain mod gives fabulous, boosted, 4-stage gain.....and it can be achieved at reasonable volume without an attenuator (although output is greater than the Naylors were before the mods) if you want it, especially with the SuperClub 38. If you can find one of these modded Naylors, or if you can find an old Naylor & talk Doug into doing the mod, I think you can't go wrong. I've owned a Roccaforte HG100, by the way, and I like the modded Naylors even better--If you want great gain/overdrive & little else (what the Avenger says it delivers; right?), I don't think you can find a better amp.

13. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Its safe to do. Doug

14. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Make sure you pull the 2 outside power tubes too.

15. prakashananda

prakashananda Member

I don't know if this will equal the tones you're going for but the Roccaforte Bastard pedal (sort of a treble boost - Doug's style) is a great combination with that amp. I own both and actually prefer the C80 with the Bastard on all the time, which I don't think is what Doug had in mind...

16. Green Pro Am

Pulled the two outer tubes and hit the front with the Fulltone. All is well. This amp rips!

17. motorhead

motorhead Member

I love my Avenger. It's been a long tine since I can get the level of mids and smooth crunch without an EQ in the loop. It sounds so hi-fi it's unreal and the depth knob is where you adjust the amount of sludge that you want.

For such a high gain amp I'm still surprised that a Strat sounds like a Strat through it.

Someone said it was a one trick pony .... well they are right but I've yet to hear another amp that can go from Mick Mars to Billy Gibbons on the same settings just buy changing the PUs from a Duncan JB to a Voodoo '60.

Going for a simple amp takes guts ... I'm very glad I took a chance and found my tone.

18. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Actually, I have two artists that do this. The Bastard and the Cust80 work real good together, I like it. Doug

19. v-verb

v-verb Member

Tried an Avenger 50 - huge disppointment - no articulation at all

20. v-verb

v-verb Member

I must qualify the above post because I tried an Avenger 100 a year ago that was excellent, so the Avenger 50 may have had crap tubes.