Soldano Avenger problem

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by zjs, Aug 16, 2005.

1. zjs

zjs Guest

Hello! Before I take this amp to a tech I want to see if anyone can shed some light on a problem it's been having.

So I was jamming at band practice when some idiot decides to trip over the power cord to my amp, unplugging it. After putting it on standby for about 5 minutes I turned it on and noticed it's volume was only about a quarter as loud as it previously was, and it sounded like ass. I checked out the pre amp tubes and noticed the 2 left most (looking from the back) were not lighting up at all. Also the three right most power tubes seemed to be very slightly dimmer than the left most. I had an extra set of pre amp tubes lying around so I replaced all of them and the 2 left most ones still wouldn't light up, I haven't changed the power tubes yet.

The amp is stock except for a Deyoung transformer and only about 6 months old. The preamp tubes are as followed (from right to left): ecc83, gt-12ax7, 12ax7-lp, 12ax7-lp. Power amp tubes are all 4 sovtek 5881/6l6wgc. If anyone has any idea what might be the problem I would be very happy, I want to :dude :dude :dude again!

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Have you emailed Soldano? Bill is typically very good at providing quality support via email.

3. zjs

zjs Guest

I did a couple days ago, no response yet.

4. KTT

KTT Member

Hes not good,he told me that some people wait months for a reply,as if thats some kind of normal "customer service"

5. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Thanks for the heads-up...

Was thinking about getting a SLO100 & this tells me I can't rely upon that "lifetime" warranty :crazy

6. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

There's seven people who work at Soldano. Bill QC's everything that goes out the door and he ansers all the tech questions and phone calls. I have emailed him at times and got a second day response, then there have been no responses at all.

Every time I have called him he calls me back that day and now I just call him in the late afternoon and they always answer.

Don't give up on them, they don't have a huge team just waiting to answer emails like some others do.

Steve