Soldano Avenger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by keith_t4e, Nov 21, 2005.

1. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm very close to pulling the triger on one of these. It was between this and a Rectoverb. I allready have a JCM800. I plan to AB Avenger with Marshall. I'm wondering if the HR50+ would be a beter choice for about $500 more. I really only play with the gain up. How does the low imput sound on Avenger? I'm stocked about getting it. I'll stick with the 5881s it comes with. Who here has one? How is it?

2. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Having played the Avenger, owned an SLO and a few Marshalls - and heard the Avenger in a live setting my advice is this....

Pass on the Avenger and get a VHT Deliverance 60....seriously, it kicks the sh*t out of most any Soldano product with the exception of the SLO (and even thats a toss up....), and will cost less than a HR50+......

I say this speaking from my own experience, and currently owning the Deliverance.

Steve E

3. markp

markp Member

I just got done takin my Avenger for a 2 hr. spin and it was sounding so good.

But,I think I am going to buy a Deliverance for my self for XMass.

4. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

hey man, i owned an avenger for quite a while and I absolutely loved it. I dont know which marshall you are talking about, but i've never played anything made recently that sounded as good as my avenger, nothing!!! I've never even seen a deliverance, but VHT makes good stuff and you should check it out if these guys like it so much. As far as the avenger goes, i love mine and its an amazing amp. A+ rating from me. thanks

5. fritzreiser

fritzreiser Member

I have owned both the Rectoverb (combo) and the Avenger. Both are great amps; and both are very different amps.

The Rectoverb is a very versatile amp. The Series 2 has 2 channels with 5 modes and all are very distinctive. If the combo wasn't so freakin' heavy, I would still own it and play it at church.

The Avenger is a whole different animal. It is an extremely high gain modded-Marshall type sound . It does have a lower gain input to get a crunch tone, but it excels with the higher gain input. I love that tone.

Steve E. really likes the Deliverance, so you may also want to consider that one.

If you want versatility, the Recto is hard to beat. If you want high gain only, try the Avenger or the Deliverance. Musicians's Friend stocks both. So, you can buy the Deliverance and if you don't like it, send it back for the Avenger.

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

thanks guys. can you open the avenger up any. It really sounded compressed to me. It will take some time to tweek it.

7. axpro

axpro Member

Avenger.... My current fave, but you don't list....

Is it an Avenger 100, or the new (and hard as heck to find) Avenger 50.

I originally passed on the avenger 100, it sounded too inflexible, kind of stiff. But the Avenger 50 is probably the best gain amp I have ever heard/owned. I've owned far too many amps over the years (including a HOTROD 50XL, Mesa Dual recto, Marshall DSL and TSL, Fenders, TRaynors and a Dr.z Maz38 to name the last few) and i really really liked it, the one we have in the shop is the favorite amp for most of the staff (that haven't bought one already) quite literally an amazing amplifier.

Before you pass judgement on your decision, try to find one... it really is different, and IMHO a better amp.

I found this pic

[​IMG]

the exact same model as mine.

As for availability, i know Long&Mcquade Canada, has gone through about 10-12 (at least) mine was serial#5 (still built in an AVENGER 100 chassis, with a new model number/serial code written in.) and we just got serial#27 today, so there aren't all that many out there yet....:dude

Dave Mc

8. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

are you saying the 50 is beter than the 100 or they are both great.

9. markp

markp Member

I have only played the 100 that I own.
    But here is my take on the stiffness.
    I have 2 main sounds I go for,both using a THD hot plate.
    First is a metal type rythm that is very tight and chunky.For this I leave the depth knob off ,HP bulbs off and run mids lower(still 12 to 1 oclock) and presents higher(3 oclock +).

For shread lead type sound,I like HP bulbs on and depth knob 9/10 oclock ,this gives it a little more spongy feel.And the I crank the mids and back the presents down.

Metal Rythm sound=noon to 1:00
    Leads 1:00 and up

With no HP and low master settings I could see it being heard as stiff.

10. axpro

axpro Member

I did try it without a HP, but i also had it pretty darn loud...

I just find the 50 watt has a different sound, not exactly better, but better for me. It's a little looser, and i like that. used with or without my DR.Z soak, it sounds great. BUT...

I have always preferred 50 watt heads for this reason, they tend (to me) to sound better and looser, the same with the last few marshalls I owned, DSL50, i liked, DSL100 didn't feel right, TSL100, as Gregory D can point out, i didn't like either....

As for Soldanos, I've had a lot of intimate time with a HR50, a SLO an AVENGER50 and an AVENGER100, as well as a bit of time with a lucky13... so far the a50 is my all time fave.

Dave Mc

11. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I only got to try the avenger out for about 15 minutes. I couldn't get it to open up. I didn't understand the depth nob. Also, I had gain way up--------an unnecessary move with this amp. I want another whot with one. The clips I hear on line all sound like straight up rock and roll like early kiss guitar sounds. Listen to the clip that musicians friend has. There are some other clips that have been around for a while now on soldano forum that sound great too. What speakers go with it the best.

12. axpro

axpro Member

Are you TRYING to start a war!?!?!?

As this will probably generate an avalanche of differing responses, I'll try to be first.:D

THe closed back soldano 2-12 is great with it, stock (eminence legends i think)

Personally using an eminence private jack and Cannabis rex in a 2-12

Thatss my $0.02 Canadian funds

Dave Mc