Soldano Clapton

jay42

My understanding was that the Marshall cabs were loaded with two 12Ls each...not four.

[edit]. Saw that tour. They were on television several times and the guitar tones didn't sound right. No idea why. Sounded great there.

Last edited:

blacksoultyler

Silver Supporting Member
it sounds a kind of good. maybe just not my kind. it almost sounds too "good" to sound good to me. i prefer the stuff before they were micing the wind chimes.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
What rig was he playing when he played all of those "sneaky licks" on the Lethal Weapon movies? Was that the Soldano, or the Marshall rig? That was some great stuff.
Transition period… he was switching over around 87/88. First movie probably had Marshall, the other probably has the SLO.

ur2funky

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure if the OP is still with the thread...
The SLO30 is my main tube amp. It seems a little picky with speakers, and can get a bit bright. I keep my treble low, as did Clapton.
I've never had the EVM12Ls...played the amp a lot w/ V30s, currently using a Classic Lead 80 which I prefer to the V30s.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
What's the first?

Derek-The-Dominos-Live-At-The-Fillmore.jpg

erickkuhni

Beyond the Sun. "Forever Man" is Clapton's best Strat tone. At least, to my ears. Marshall and a Boss Heavy Metal, apprently.

I can agree on that one, it's another place where his guitar is screaming through a marshall. I love that solo all on account of the tone he gets.

erickkuhni

I can't say I enjoyed this one, its not Clapton's best playing from where I stand. His tone is good all things considered, in that it's not getting in his way, but it doesnt standout like the lace sensors and midboost through the SLO. It's probably not a compliment to say that better music has been made with worse tone, but that's my take, I dont love or hate the tone here.

I'll go ahead and take a risk and say this is still his sloppy period (Fillmore concert Derek and the Dominos) riding on the heels of the 70s. For that period of music I think the Eagles, Skynyrd, Allman's, etc (Steely Dan) have better music to offer up than Clapton. In the 80s he started to clean up, and the quality of his musicianship in my mind went through a drastic improvement. The Crossroads of Clapton album had some intersting cuts, the slow version of After Midnight is simple enough but really grooves. Obviously that album spans a lot of periods, but also had then current takes of some of his classics. On the Phill Collins tour he had serious chops and flow, and he seemed to just carry that level of playing all the way through the 80s. It's nothing a "theory guy" would get excited about, but during that time he was just "on". The Old Love solo on the 24 Nights recording was incredibly dynamic and one of the best and most intense solos I've ever heard. I dont hear anything like that in his 70s era music.

From the Cradle was a solid blues album, and in my opinion it was his last serious effort. It was the last place where I heard him play at the level he was at during the 80s. I would say after From the Cradle he pretty much retired, other than tours and a few tracks here and there. He had an album called Pilgrim in the 90s which was a weird phoned in effort.

Cream is another discussion entirely, I'm not a fan but I can respect it for it's role in overall movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMG

rushisawesome

Clapton Soldano.jpg

There's also some Mesa gear on the left. Not sure if that's Clapton's or the other guitar player's gear..

As for Soldano Cabs, I removed the V30s and put in Scumbacks....2x12 Vertical with an SLO 100. It sounds good to me. For outdoor gigs I can't get the volume much over 5-6 or I annoy my other bandmates which is sometimes the goal. The V30s weren't bad, just not what i was looking for with the SLO. The 2x12 is relatively light and easier to lug around than a Marshall 4x12 and especially a Mesa 4x12. I also had to get out the drill and install some casters on it. I don't think they come with casters at least mine didn't... If you want to be super portable, get 2 - 1x12 Mesa Thiele cabs....Some used ones have the EVM12Ls.....

ufguy73

Gold Supporting Member
I can't say I enjoyed this one, its not Clapton's best playing from where I stand. His tone is good all things considered, in that it's not getting in his way, but it doesnt standout like the lace sensors and midboost through the SLO. It's probably not a compliment to say that better music has been made with worse tone, but that's my take, I dont love or hate the tone here.

I'll go ahead and take a risk and say this is still his sloppy period (Fillmore concert Derek and the Dominos) riding on the heels of the 70s. For that period of music I think the Eagles, Skynyrd, Allman's, etc (Steely Dan) have better music to offer up than Clapton. In the 80s he started to clean up, and the quality of his musicianship in my mind went through a drastic improvement. The Crossroads of Clapton album had some intersting cuts, the slow version of After Midnight is simple enough but really grooves. Obviously that album spans a lot of periods, but also had then current takes of some of his classics. On the Phill Collins tour he had serious chops and flow, and he seemed to just carry that level of playing all the way through the 80s. It's nothing a "theory guy" would get excited about, but during that time he was just "on". The Old Love solo on the 24 Nights recording was incredibly dynamic and one of the best and most intense solos I've ever heard. I dont hear anything like that in his 70s era music.

From the Cradle was a solid blues album, and in my opinion it was his last serious effort. It was the last place where I heard him play at the level he was at during the 80s. I would say after From the Cradle he pretty much retired, other than tours and a few tracks here and there. He had an album called Pilgrim in the 90s which was a weird phoned in effort.

Cream is another discussion entirely, I'm not a fan but I can respect it for it's role in overall movement.
Man,
I don’t know - Live at the Fillmore rivals his Cream period and latter Journeyman/From the Cradle period, to me, in terms of how fluid and dialed in I find his playing.

erickkuhni

Man,
I don’t know - Live at the Fillmore rivals his Cream period and latter Journeyman/From the Cradle period, to me, in terms of how fluid and dialed in I find his playing.

We obviously get different things out of it, I dont see it/hear it, but I cant fault it. Besides Little Wing, what song do think sells it for you?

They play Little Wing well, but I'll admit I've grown tired of that song. I'll listen to JH or SRV play it once in a while, but it's been covered to death, so that's another one of my biases.

Top Bottom