Soldano decatone advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by foodforthegods, Apr 28, 2016.

1. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

Someone offered me a soldano decatone head for my Diezel Einstein 50 watts. Didn't bond with the Einstein so this interested me. Any opinions? Would you do the trade?

2. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

3. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I was pretty underwhelmed by my Decatone. I gigged with it regularly for a year and a half and it was just OK. The Bogner Shiva that replaced my Decatone is, in my opinion, 1000% better.

I would not do that trade.

4. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

5. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I guess I should expand more - I thought the amp was seriously lacking in volume. It also didn't have much punch and authority when it was wound up. For a 3 channel amp, I found them all kinda average, with the overdrive (3rd channel) being the better of the 3. I was looking for a gigging amp that I could run: clean rhythm, dirty rhythm and lead. The Deca really didn't do that.

In the end, I personally was better off with a great 2 channel amp that had a variable volume lead boost. I do need to use an overdrive pedal with my Shiva, but I can get 5 sounds out of it: clean, clean with pedal (SRV like), dirty (mid gain Plexi), dirty with pedal (JCM800) and monster lead.