Soldano, EVM12L, and thiele cabs. Help me out!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jake Stewat, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Jake Stewat

Jake Stewat Member

Hello! I'm new to the forum, and I'm hoping y'all guys can help me out!

Here's the deal- I'm tired of carrying around my Orange 412. I want to downsize to two 112s or a single 212 but still get the biggest, clearest tone possible. I currently play a Soldano Hot Rod 50 head, but I plan on getting a Soldano SLO someday.

I've been reading about tl 806 thiele cabs and the EVM12L speaker and it seems to be what I want in my sound- absolute clarity and a big tone from a small package.

But what cabinet or combination of cabinets would work best for getting a big 412 sound? I don't want the sound just hitting my ankles, i want my sound to spread out.

Here are the options I'm currently considering-
    1. Mesa thiele (install EVM12L) and Mesa compact open back 112.
    2. Hermida front ported cabs
    3. two Boogafunk tl 806 cabs
    4. Trutone 212 with EVM12L and some alnico speaker (maybe Weber Blue Dog)
    5. Port City 212

I have specific reasons for all of these options and I'd be willng to explain any of them.

Any suggestions or opinions? I would greatly appreciate some help! Thanks!

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Going with the EVM12L, even if downsizing, won't bring weight down much, really, and it will overpower the Blue Dog by a tonne and a half. If you want big rock tone w. a British alnico twist I'd steer you towards the Fane Medusa 150, probably in a diagonal 2x12". Not much experience w. ported cabs, but I don't find them to sound very big in a 4x12 way, really.

3. Jake Stewat

Jake Stewat Member

solitaire, a 212 with two EVM12Ls should still be like 30 lbs lighter than my Orange, and it wouldn't be as big of an object to carry up stairs or load into a car. Two 112s would be even easier and more versatile. I could carry one at a time and I could use a single cab if I'm playing for a quieter group.

I will check out the Fane Medusa, though

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The Rivera TAC112 is my fave Thiele cab.

As for a 2x12, the THD remains badass.

5. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

I frequently gig with two EV loaded Mesa thiele 1x12 cabs and find they are a great way to go for a big sound in an easy to manage package. The cabs are heavy, but not 4x12 heavy. The only downside is that they are very directional and will just play to your ankles and those in front of them. Most of the time I wind up stacking them to get around this, and find it works well. It looks a bit silly since the head is wider than the cabs, but I really don't care about it looking proper.

I also have the Mesa compact open back 1x12 that I sometimes use with the thiele cab rather than running two thieles. This too is a great combination. I like the two thieles a bit better, but the open back blends well with them. I don't think you can go wrong with this combination. Since the open back is not as deep, I don't stack this combo, but it seems to work fine at gigs.

The only other 1x12 cabs I can think of that would also work are the Bogner cubes (or the CCA copies). This is another cab that is manageable, sounds great and also sounds much bigger than they are.

I like having the two cabs for the reasons you mention; they are lighter than a 2x12, I can just take one for small gigs and practice, and I can choose either the thiele or open back sound when using just one. It leaves you with some nice options.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. Jake Stewat

Jake Stewat Member

Is the Rivera TAC112 still in production? I couldn't find much info on it and the one place that I saw selling it said the price was over $700. yikes!

JunkGear, thanks for this awesome info! Does the open back 112 spread the sound around a bit better than the thiele? That's one reason I was looking at blending the two. I really don't want smaller cabs if all of the sound is going to be blasted at my ankles. I read somewhere that open backs help spread the sound out a bit more and they have a bigger midrange than closed-back cabs, so i assumed that running a thiele and a nice open back cab would get me the best of both worlds.

7. Jake Stewat

Jake Stewat Member

Nevermind about the Rivera question, i just found the Rivera shopatron site and it's $550. that's not bad, but the Mesa theile is $440

8. jlh

jlh Member

I have a Soldano SLO, I bought a 2/12 cabinet from Stage Craft and use one Private Jack and one Green Beret in it, its half as heavy gets huge sound and, made me by another one, Now I have a slant and bottom 2/12 cabinet and when stacked, is 4/12 for big venues. Stage Craft builds cabs for Joe Bonamassa and have great quality, reasonable pricing and ship quick. The cabinet also is the correct width and looks killer

9. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

Yes, the open back spreads the sound out a little more and also adds a bit more midrange. The cabs do sit low, so you will notice a lack of sound if you are used to the height of the 4x12, but again, the open back will make up for some of that.

10. Jake Stewat

Jake Stewat Member

jlh, which Stage Craft cabinet do you recommend? I'm checking out the website and looking for video/sound clips

Hrm, does anyone know if putting a beamblocker in a thiele cab would be a bad idea? Perhaps that would help spread the sound a bit since it's supposed to disperse the highs around evenly

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Big difference in the sound of the Rivera vs. the Mesa, IMHO. The Rivera projects better, has more bass, is more musical sounding, and sounds much bigger than most 1x12s (dual ported, etc). Great w/ the EV - really makes it guitar-friendly, not hifi.

12. Jake Stewat

Jake Stewat Member

If stacking two Riveras would get a big sound, I'll actually consider it. I've mostly been leaning on the Mesa because the compact open back 112 and the thiele look the same and are similar size.

Getting the Rivera cabs would also be kind of cool because I want a Rivera Jazz Sumprema combo for when i play in jazz combos and (depending on how my audition went) for jazz studies in college.

Anyone know about beamblockers in a thiele?

13. aflynt

aflynt Member

I had an EV loaded Mesa Thiele cab and thought it was just too scooped and bass-heavy for guitar. I bought it to use in tandem with a Mark IV combo but always wound up unplugging it after a few songs. It sounded great for bass, though. I didn't think it sounded anything like a 4x12" honestly.

You may want to consider a couple Forte 3D 1x12" cabs if you haven't checked them out already. I've got one and it sounds great with an EV. To my ears the cabinet has a perfect balance of frequencies, much better dispersion than a closed back or ported cab, and much better consistency from room to room than an open back.

-Aaron

14. kaseri

kaseri Member

If you do go with a TL806 spec cab remember that you can tune the cab a bit by adjusting how much foam you use on the inside. The TL806 spec calls for 3" of fiberglass insulation. On my TL806 cab I've used foam insulation anywhere from the 3" thick spec down to no insulation at all. For my ears and taste I've ended up with 2" of foam insulation on the inside of the back panel only and nowhere else.

15. Jake Stewat

Jake Stewat Member

The Forte 3D cabs are really interesting! I'm doing some research on these and looking for video/sound clips. Do they have a big tone with a nice bass response? I might actually go for the 212.

kaseri, that's actually some great info that I wasn't aware of! how does the tone change when you add more insulation or remove insulation?

16. aflynt

aflynt Member

I did a comparison of an open back 1x12 with my Forte both loaded with the same speaker, and the 3D 1x12" overall had smoother highs and chunkier, punchy low end. It's not really going to give you that "pin you against the back wall" kind of low end on it's own, but definitely has a nicely balanced low end that projects well. At higher volumes you can definitely feel it much better than an open back cab, though. I would imagine that the 2x12 SV version would be capable of knocking your socks off.

-Aaron

17. kaseri

kaseri Member

Best description I can give is the cab sounds livelier with less insulation. Without any insulation I thought it was too lively, I'd call it boomy. Meaning palm mutes and percussive playing on the low e (or drop d) had too much resonance to the note. I wanted some resonance but also wanted the note to decay/die out somewhat quickly. My perfect balance was found with 2" of foam on the back panel only with no other insulation in the cab.

18. Jake Stewat

Jake Stewat Member

The Forte 3D cab sounds really cool to me so far. I just can't decide between stacking two 112s or a single 212. The 212 would probably get more low end, but the stacked 112s should disperse the sound a bit better.

aflynt, any opinion on how one of these cabs would react for jazz?

and thanks for the info, kaseri!

Anyone else have opinions on cabinets for the EVM12L, thiele cabs, or these Forte 3D cabs?

19. Laplacian

Laplacian Member

I have an SLO and 2 - ceramic EV-SRO/12L's (predecesser to regular 12L, but close-ish) in theile-ish (not exact, but front ported 1x12's).

They sound good. Loud, clear and Thump, plus 3 pieces.

Important fact: EV's are freaking heavy, even 1 of them. I can swing a 4x12 of G12M's around, but a 1x12 with an EV feels almost as heavy, I wouldn't want to even work with a 2x12 if I were going to move it around a lot.

I would get 2 Glaswerks thiele ported 1x12's with a 16 ohm EV classic in each, and play the SLO into them (one cord out to each) in parallel at 8 ohms. Tilt them a little left or right for dispersion if needed.

I think a Forte vertical 2x12 S/V would be awesome, probably better even, but my back hurts just thinking about picking it up with two EV's. Maybe I'm getting older. YMMV.

20. aflynt

aflynt Member

I think the tonality of the 3D 1x12" is perfect for most Jazz styles, Blues or Classic Rock. I think it's got plenty of low end thump for that stuff on it's own. I usually use mine on a stand and have no problem getting a nice full sound. If you really like heavy bass it might not cut it without another sealed cab to go along with it. I just like enough lows to give the sound body and chunkiness so it's perfect for me.

I haven't actually tried a pair of them so I'm not really that qualified to recommend a dual 3D 1x12" setup over something else. I'd start a new thread if you want to elicit more opinions about the different Forte models.

-Aaron

P.S. - regarding weight, I ordered my Forte with Italian Poplar construction and even when I had the EV in there it was pretty light. My mesa Thiele cab was a lot heavier. A 2x12" with EVs might be pushing it though even with the "lightweight construction" option.