Soldano Hot Rod 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jlb32, Mar 8, 2015.

1. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Have been looking for a lower wattage hard rock amp with that big amp tone and this thing delivers more than any other I have ever tried. Definitely has that baby "SLO" thing going on and trying one side by side against a SLO it is very close tonally. Has a different vibe than other Hot Rods I have played. Not sure how Mike Soldano did it but it is a killer amp. The overdrive tones are to die for IMO and surprisingly the clean tones are not bad at all even though this amp is definitely more of a crunch to high gain monster.

Anyway, I'm loving the amp so far. Sounds great at any volume and definitely is loud enough for gigging.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Sweet, congrats on that. Seems like a great little head.

3. Damian The Man

Damian The Man Member

Need Vidz!!:D
    Congratz by the way!

4. souldigger

souldigger Member

How does the combined EQ do between the channels? I've been really thinking hard d about this amp. I really want a SLO, but I think that's too much for what I'm doing these days. Love that color by the way. \m/

5. JB6464

JB6464 Member

How is the new loop design ?
    Mike placed it after the EQ on this amp but is it still a line level +4db loop ?

6. jlb32

jlb32 Member

With the separate gain and masters it actually works really well. It's the same layout as the SLO's and Hot Rods of course.

7. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Not sure about the +4db line level. I haven't used the loop much yet but the little I have it sounds really good. Think Mike placing it after the pre amp is a big improvement on this amp over the SLO's loop.

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Congrats on the new amp. One of the few sub 30watt amps that have the thump and authority of larger amps.

9. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

Congrats! I'm jealous....

10. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

+! on the jealous

11. amoodymule

amoodymule Member

I've been rockin the HR50 for 8yrs and wanted one of these bad, 2 channels and smaller format, ect.
    I couldn't justify the extra thousand more than I had, so I went with Mesa RectoVerb 25,

...I still daydream of the HR25 as I save my coin :D

What kind of cab are you playin thru?

12. finnster

finnster Supporting Member

Congrats! I've been wanting to try one of these.
    What cab are you using with it?

13. Paul Bateman

Paul Bateman Member

14. nickcoumbe

nickcoumbe Member

Really want one of these! Sweet amp.

15. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Right now I'm running it through a Bogner and a Mesa. Both with Celestion V30's. I've heard some say V30's aren't their favorites with Soldanos but I am loving them with this amp.

It just gets better every time I turn it on. As I'm learning the eq more it's just more and more amazing sounding. It does not sound like a lower wattage amp at all. It has the tone and big low end of my higher wattage amps but just pushes the power section so much easier. Exactly what I was looking for. A lower wattage amp with the big low end, big iron, big tubes and tone of higher wattage amps. This amp has it plus it's loud enough for any gig IMO.

The controls are really great also. They have a great taper and really react to minor movements. Overall it's living up to beyond my expectations and I had very high expectations when I decided to buy.

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

one of the coolest looking amps on the planet.
    nothing wrong with a lil' head now n' then. Hope you enjoy it!

17. jlb32

jlb32 Member

18. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I have one on the way too - can't wait! Where did you get yours? (GC Atlanta, by any chance?)

I had a 92 HR50+ (w/ Merc Mac iron) that I LOVED except for the fact that it had a fixed depth circuit. Fun sometimes (AIC, STP), but not all of the time. Plus, I liked that the HR25 had a better loop. PLUS I have a Soldano 212 with a vertically oriented grill which will be BITCHIN'.)

Love the white w/ black hardware...

19. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Congrats! Hope you love yours as much as I'm loving mine! They are killer amps. I bought mine new from Eddie's in St. Louis.

20. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Had a chance to actually jam (full band) with it last night. :eeks Think I might have found a amp that will give my Mesa Mark IV a run as my #1. This thing is a beast.

Still love my Mark IV and always will. It's been my main amp for years now but damn this Hot Rod 25 is pretty amazing. Haven't had a new amp I've loved this much in a long time.