Soldano Hot Rod 50 vs SLO 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kfowler11, Jan 22, 2006.

1. kfowler11

kfowler11 Guest

Anyone ever A/B'd these two amps. Besides the obvious wattage difference, is there a major tonal difference between the two?

Thanks,

2. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I never played through the 100, but had the 50. I loved it. One of the best amps I ever owned.

3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

to me, the SLO sounds more compressed.

4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

The HR 50 is killer at what it does. The SLO is also killer but it's way more money. The SLO does the edge of breakup better. The HR50 doesn't have much in the clean dept at all. IF you are just looking for the gainy rock tone the HR50 should do fine.

5. kfowler11

kfowler11 Guest

That's kind of what I had in mind. The clean tone is not that big of an issue.

Thanks for all the feedback.

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

The HR's sound very close to the big brother. I used to have an HR50+ and when I saw Mule live in Warren's SLO days his amp basically sounded like mine. The HR's are excellent sonic bang for the buck.

7. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I've played both, and IMHO, they both sound quite different. If you want the SLO tone, buy an SLO. I've heard so many times "this amp has the same circuit/tone as the SLO"... then why does is cost half of what the SLO does???

Because they aren't the same. The biggest difference with the SLO are the DeYoung transformers. These play a big part in the sound/feel of the SLO. Also the preamp circuits between the HR series and SLO are different as well. Bottom line, just get a SLO.

8. MARCO

MARCO Member

I can tell you from experience of having both....the SLO uses DeYoung transformers which to me sound so much different from the transformers of the HR series. The internal components are different as well, I cant tell you what exactly since I am not a tech but after seeing both amps uncovered, there are some noticeable differences in the two. I would think that would be an integral part of the difference in tone...plus the HR50 of course is 50 watts where as the SLO is 100 watts.

9. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

A SLO-100 is punchier and bigger(Deyoung Transformers)while the HR50's (being 50 watts) can get louder for more power tube distortion. Same amp except for the Transformers.
    I had an HR50 for a few years and moved up to the SLO. Had them both for a while. Eventually sold the HR50. Great amps for the price!

10. kram21

kram21 Member

i have had a chance to play both of these amps and the slo is an entirely differnt amp,; the hr50 was very bright and buzzy while the slo had a much more nicer drive to it

11. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

I had a HR-50, which I had my tech mod to SLO-100 specs. The schematics are out there. It sounded quite close, but still wasn't exact, due to component differences. I never used it, so I sold it to a guy who absolutely loved it.

Loudboy

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

The HR's are made in a less costly manner than the SLO, however Bill Sundt at Soldano says the HR's are voiced similarly to the SLO. If you want SLO tone at a more reasonable cost, get an Avenger. If you know you love that tone, an SLO is one of the best built amps out there and will last a lifetime, and has that awesome crunch channel tone as well.

13. JWR

JWR Member

Those HR50's are little beasts. I love mine. Simple, no frills, plug and play. I am also curious about the SLO but even at used prices they go for up to fifteen hundred more than the Hot Rod. I guess it depends on if you want the channels or not. I think the VH Carnal Knowledge record was all SLO, and I think the 5150 design has a lot more SLO design in it than we may know. I would love to try the SLO, but my HR 50 is a keeper amp.

14. MARCO

MARCO Member

The 5150 sounds nothing like the SLO to me and although I liked my HR50, it does not sound as good as the SLO. Design or not, the 5150 is garbage compared to the SLO. If you like buzz and noise then the 5150 is it. If you want thick, clear overdrive with a ton of sustain, then the SLO is it. I have had all three amps at one point and the SLO is the best of the three, hands down. SLO's are around $2000+or - so thats not bad, they have definitely held up their value. If you are on a budget, I would say the HR series or Decatone. If you are on a serious budget, then the 5150 will do I guess but I would put in some good tubes and have modded somewhat to kill the noise and feedback. Half the people who use amps these days & give feedback dont even play them loud enough anyway. If you want to know how well am amp sounds, you needto play it at a reasonably loud volume, which is where you want to play in order to make a good judgement on any amp.

15. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

My first Soldano was a HR50+ and it was GREAT the XL voicing added alot to the sound. I bought a Decatone and used it for a couple of years and sold the HR. Then I bought the SLO100 and found out why it's Soldano's flagship. It is a monster!! All 3 sound different but the SLO is, hands down, the best sounding of the 3.
    But here's the kicker for me. A little over a year ago I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Diaz CD100 head.
    I use the Diaz 95% of the time. I still love the SLO but the Diaz tears it up...no lie. WAY more tone!!
    But it costs 2k more too.